PDA

View Full Version : ND to Join C7 for 2013-2014 Season?

CaribouJim
02-28-2013, 07:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9000502/catholic-7-schools-keep-big-east-name-new-league-next-season-according-sources

The departure of the Catholic 7 schools, which would officially begin their new league on July 1, also could mean Notre Dame joins the ACC this summer instead of 2014.

Sources said Notre Dame has planned on remaining in the Big East for the 2013-14 academic year as long as the Catholic 7 schools did so. However, if those schools left before then, the Fighting Irish would also look to join the ACC this summer.

If unable to join the ACC in 2013-14, the Fighting Irish would consider spending one season in the Catholic 7 league before moving to the ACC in 2014, a source said.

Seems like some ND fans would like it to be permanent:

http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=thepit;pid=231767;d=all

Hamostradamus
02-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Seems like some ND fans would like it to be permanent

C'mon in boys, the water's warm.

IWB
02-28-2013, 07:54 PM
If unable to join the ACC in 2013-14, the Fighting Irish would consider spending one season in the Catholic 7 league before moving to the ACC in 2014, a source said.

I can confirm that

Hamostradamus
02-28-2013, 08:03 PM
I can confirm that

Confirming they are considering it or confirm they are coming?

IrwinFletcher
02-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Nobody else bothered that they could join for 1 year and then bolt? I understand the ACC could blow up, but what if it doesn't? Don't want to get caught sucking up to ND and have them pull the ball away at the last second.

MUMac
02-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Nobody else bothered that they could join for 1 year and then bolt? I understand the ACC could blow up, but what if it doesn't? Don't want to get caught sucking up to ND and have them pull the ball away at the last second.

No, as I do not know the reasons. Perhaps it is of mutual benefit. Who knows, maybe the B7 is looking at a year with only 9 teams (remember, the other schools have yet to notify their conference that they are leaving, and that may not be able to leave until next year). If so, an odd team league is not desirable and ND could fill the void.

So, no, I am not bothered as my supposition above is a possible scenario - but I do not know the reasoning on both sides.

TheSultan
02-28-2013, 08:22 PM
There is no reason to not be friendly to ND. Who knows what will happen in the coming years?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-28-2013, 08:24 PM
If the ACC blows up in that year it's not a bad spot to be in for the New Big East. That said if 4 super conferences arise I think ND will have to eventually bolt because they won't be allowed to stay independent forever. That and I think the Big 10 will hold a spot for them.

Hamostradamus
02-28-2013, 10:51 PM
If the ACC blows up in that year it's not a bad spot to be in for the New Big East. That said if 4 super conferences arise I think ND will have to eventually bolt because they won't be allowed to stay independent forever. That and I think the Big 10 will hold a spot for them.

But having an independent football schedule got them to a NC this year, can't see that happening in the superconferences. They may never get back there if they jon the B1G or SEC. Maybe I'm dreaming but I hope that all happens and ND joins.

MU88
02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
ND leaving may disband the conference for purposes of the basketball fund (the distribution for the NCAA credits). Under the old rule, which I don't know if it has been modified, if more than half of the conference leaves at once which drops the membership below 6, the conference is considered disbanded for purposes of the bball fund. C7, plus Pitt and Cuse is 9. 6 conference members left with ND, with 4 newbies being added. If ND leaves, UConn, UC and USF stand to lose $10 million next year from bball fund distributions. If the rule is still in effect, there will be lots of pressure on ND to stay. WV, Pitt, UL and SU stand to get an unexpected windfall over the next 6 years if ND leaves this year.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-28-2013, 11:19 PM
But having an independent football schedule got them to a NC this year, can't see that happening in the superconferences. They may never get back there if they jon the B1G or SEC. Maybe I'm dreaming but I hope that all happens and ND joins.

You are assuming the situation stays the same, lots of rumors of if the 4 super conferences emerge they would break away from the NCAA and do their own tournament and championships. That would leave ND out in the cold.

TrevorCandelino
03-01-2013, 07:59 AM
You are assuming the situation stays the same, lots of rumors of if the 4 super conferences emerge they would break away from the NCAA and do their own tournament and championships. That would leave ND out in the cold.

I have always thought about this as a possibility but I think the BCS schools know this type of action would likely spur anti-trust litigation and Congressional involvement.

MUMac
03-01-2013, 08:04 AM
I have always thought about this as a possibility but I think the BCS schools know this type of action would likely spur anti-trust litigation and Congressional involvement.

Yep. That is one reason (main one?) why they include non-BCS Schools if they are ranked highly (top 8?).

As for ND, they picked the right time to be relevant again in football. If the BCS Schools split for football purposes, wherever ND is, they will include them. I see ND shirts and hats anywhere I go in this country. I don't see the same number of Bama shirts and hats. No way the BCS would not include ND. They do now, as it is.

MU/Panther
03-01-2013, 08:37 AM
There is no reason to not be friendly to ND. Who knows what will happen in the coming years?

Your comment is making me change my mind. ND could stay for the long term in the "new" Big East Conference.

Many reports say the B1G will take two more schools. Ga.Tech, North Carolina or Virginia.

Many reports say the SEC wants Va. Tech & NC State.

Many say Big 12 could want Florida State and Clemson.

If that happens there is no way Notre Dame will want to be in the ACC as they have said they are joining a conference full time for football

TulsaWarrior
03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Notre Dame coming on board for even a season could save the conference millions allowing at least one or two schools to delay exits from the A10. Withdrawal fees? Follow the money and you will find your answers to ever question about conference realignment.

kneelb4zerg
03-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Yeah I'm changing my mind too. Tons of upside and very little downside.

Orlando
03-01-2013, 09:35 AM

I agree with this. There is so much uncertainty out there, I don't see how you don't keep your options open. You never know what might happen. Fox gave the conference a huge contract without Notre Dame involved. They could easily sweeten that pot a little if ND becomes a possibility. Having them for one year gives you their ear for one year. You never know what might happen.

If Fox is serious about challenging ESPN what better way then to make a play to keep Notre Dame athletics totally off ESPN. How about a situation where Fox (who owns the Big Ten Network) negotiates a scheduling agreement with the Big 10 for ND football if they stay with the Big East. You don't think it would be appealing to ND and the Big 10 to have a game between ND and Rutgers at the Meadowlands on the Big Ten network. How about Maryland vs ND in Baltimore on the Big 10 network. Remember that the reason ND is hesitant about scheduling too many Big 10 games is that they want to play a national schedule. With the Big 10 expanding at a rapid pace they can now do that within the Big 10. How about UNC vs ND in Charlotte some day.

I am not saying this is going to happen, I am just saying take the chance that it might. The one thing about all the other schools being considered is that they will join the second you ask them to. You can make them wait 10 years and they will still join. So play the ND card first and see if it works. If it doesn't your choices will be the same as they are today. There is no rush.

Goose85
03-01-2013, 09:40 AM
ND joining gives a 10 team league without having to buy an additional school out of the A-10 as TulsaWarrior indicated. Save $$

ND should be good next year, helps the schedule, RPI, and exposure for the new league in year 1.

ND will likely make the NCAA tourney next year, hopefully advance a round or two, and then leave some NCAA credits behind for the new conference, that could be a nice chunk of change.

It appears that after Xavier and Butler the members of the C7 can't decide on which schools to bring into the fold. ND for a year allows a longer review process to determine the best fit for the new conference.

No reason to rush that decision and quickly add a school, like Dayton, and then wish they had made a different decision later. My guess is the C7 is expecting this conference to be a long term proposition. Adding ND helps everyone sit back and take their time on who should be schools 10, 11 and 12.

I'd love to see ND and their exposure, money, another home game v ND, their NCAA credits, etc come on board, even if it is just for a year.

Orlando
03-01-2013, 09:41 AM

I agree with this. There is so much uncertainty out there, I don't see how you don't keep your options open. You never know what might happen. Fox gave the conference a huge contract without Notre Dame involved. They could easily sweeten that pot a little if ND becomes a possibility. Having them for one year gives you their ear for one year. You never know what might happen.

If Fox is serious about challenging ESPN what better way then to make a play to keep Notre Dame athletics totally off ESPN. How about a situation where Fox (who owns the Big Ten Network) negotiates a scheduling agreement with the Big 10 for ND football if they stay with the Big East. You don't think it would be appealing to ND and the Big 10 to have a game between ND and Rutgers at the Meadowlands on the Big Ten network. How about Maryland vs ND in Baltimore on the Big 10 network. Remember that the reason ND is hesitant about scheduling too many Big 10 games is that they want to play a national schedule. With the Big 10 expanding at a rapid pace they can now do that within the Big 10. How about UNC vs ND in Charlotte some day.

I am not saying this is going to happen, I am just saying take the chance that it might. The one thing about all the other schools being considered is that they will join the second you ask them to. You can make them wait 10 years and they will still join. So play the ND card first and see if it works. If it doesn't your choices will be the same as they are today. There is no rush.

mufansince72
03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Does anyone think we might see a trend of schools dividing their sports between multiple conferences. It might make sense for some of these schools to have football in one of the big super conferences, but have other non revenue sports in more regionalized conferences. I bet you eventually that is what will happen.

IWB
03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
It appears that after Xavier and Butler the members of the C7 can't decide on which schools to bring into the fold. ND for a year allows a longer review process to determine the best fit for the new conference.

No reason to rush that decision and quickly add a school, like Dayton, and then wish they had made a different decision later. My guess is the C7 is expecting this conference to be a long term proposition. Adding ND helps everyone sit back and take their time on who should be schools 10, 11 and 12.

Goo - You are right on here. The discussions need to continue. This conference is being built for the long haul, and whether it is VCU, Richmond, Dayton, SLU or Creighton, a lot more needs to go into the decision than just a coin flip.

Goose85
03-01-2013, 10:40 AM
With so much money in football, and so little for other sports, I could see where some schools leave conferences to become indy in football. Look at ND, one trip to a big time bowl game or National Championship playoff game and you make a ton of money without having to split it 12/14/16 ways.

Schools like Notre Dame, Texas, Florida State, etc could get pretty good tv deals on their own, and then make it into the playoffs and the $$ just rolls on in.
Will have to see what changes in the next 10 years with relation to how games are viewed by consumers to see if this will be realistic.

What happens if TV revenue starts to diminsh and ESPN doesn't want to pay ACC the same after 5 years?

At what point will a school like Florida State get tired of bringing in big $$ (bowl and playoff games, etc) only to have to share it equally with Duke, Wake, Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Virginia, etc.

ValiantSailor
03-01-2013, 11:25 AM
appears that after Xavier and Butler the members of the C7 can't decide on which schools to bring into the fold. ND for a year allows a longer review process to determine the best fit for the new conference.

The ACC operated for years with 9 members. Some thought they had the best BB conference in the world. I'm confident that the BE could operate with 9 members for a year if that meant a stronger conference in the following years.

VS

IWB
03-01-2013, 11:44 AM
They will not start with 9. Hoping for 12, willing to do 10.

Goose85
03-01-2013, 11:49 AM
They will not start with 9. Hoping for 12, willing to do 10.

My guess is TV needs the content and 9 just wouldn't do it. I also like even numbers so you play every weekend.

I look forward to seeing what other deals schools make with Fox. For example, to build the conference brand, would Fox be willing to push some made for TV games involving the new Big East? Big East - ??? challenge?

IWB
03-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I could see that, games with UConn vs Georgetown Cincy vs Marquette, Temple vs Villanova....

MUMac
03-01-2013, 12:50 PM
The ACC operated for years with 9 members. Some thought they had the best BB conference in the world. I'm confident that the BE could operate with 9 members for a year if that meant a stronger conference in the following years.

VS

It is harder scheduling non-conference games during the conference season than it was back then. There were more made for TV games between conferences during the season when the ACC had 9 teams. Presently, it would be a nightmare to schedule a game every weekend for a team within the conference to play out of conference. They definitely would not want to give up a weekend game, but it could come to that.

Even numbers are more critical in this era than they were before.