PDA

View Full Version : SI's Luke Winn has MU up to 15 in his Power Rankings...

CaribouJim
02-28-2013, 11:53 AM
...just ahead of the guys to the west:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130227/college-basketball-power-rankings/?sct=hp_bf5_a2&eref=sihp

With a home game against Notre Dame on Saturday and then regular-season enders at Rutgers and St. John's, Marquette now has a realistic shot at either sharing or winning the Big East title outright. In a season where the crown was widely expected to go to either Louisville or Syracuse, that is one impressive feat.

If they do end up at least sharing the top spot, what is the likelihood of MU getting a player listed on any of the All-Big East teams -maybe, maybe Vander? I guess it will depend on how he does the last 3 games.

Markedman
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
interesting information on UW's defense.......forces by far the highest percentage of long 2's min the country......It just shows you don't have to have overally athletic players to play great/smart D.....

pbiflyer
02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
interesting information on UW's defense.......forces by far the highest percentage of long 2's min the country......It just shows you don't have to have overally athletic players to play great/smart D.....
Eh, given the teams and records of the others on the list, color me unimpressed.

New Mexico State 19-9
Purdue 13-15
Fairfield 17-12
Bucknell 24-5
UT Pan America 14-15
Baylor 17-11
Marist 8-20
North Florida 12-17
Stephen F Austin 23-3

Halo
02-28-2013, 01:54 PM

I have always had the feeling they did this very well and too many Coaches allow their teams (looking at you Tom Crean who still hasn't figured it out after coaching against Bo for 13 years) to settle for that long jumper. UW protects the paint fiercely and closes out on 3 point shots. It's a great strategy and I am very surprised with how much these coaches are paid and the research and data they have access too they cannot figure it out vs UW. Buzz did. You have to keep attacking the paint and not settle. Take good 3 point shots. Value every possession. Some teams think you can just jack up 17 footers and be good. UW rebounds too well to allow it to happen once you start missing, which in college they do.

IWB
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Very good explanation Halo!

Markedman
02-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah but UW's D is great.......2nd best in the country per Pomeroy. Stephen F Austin also has a great D this year.