PDA

View Full Version : Last Home Game - Buzz

Goose85
02-27-2013, 09:41 AM
With all of the positives MU hoops has going on right now on the court, I was hesitant to start this thread but I have been thinking.

No secret things are not the greatest between Larry, Fr. P and Buzz. Buzz has indicated he doesn't want to leave, but if he feels he is unwanted, is stuck in a poor working environment, or is disrespected by the administration, Buzz may decide to go where he feels he is more wanted.

Ok - this Saturday is the last home game of the year, so maybe the last home game Buzz ever coaches for MU.

While the thought of that causes such emotions as sadness, anger, resentment toward some, etc - I sure hope Saturday can be a celebration of not just the seniors, but of Buzz as well.

Hopefully we can hear more than just a few BUZZ chants, and see some student signs like We Luv Buzz, Don't Mess With Happy, Buzz = Coach of the Year, MU loves Buzz, etc.

Buzz is a perfect fit for MU, and I for one will be cheering for him Saturday. I would love to hear multiple BUZZ chants from a sold out crowd on Saturday.

TulsaWarrior
02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I second the public support for Buzz. He is a future Hall of Fame coach who has done more to help the national public image of Marquette than any other individual since Al McGuire put the school on the map. We're not just talking basketball. We're talking marketing that the school could never afford to buy. I just cannot believe that the administration would do such a stupid self-infected wound. I guess we'll find out.

GOMU1104
02-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Future Hall of Fame, Tulsa? Pump the brakes a little bit.

TulsaWarrior
02-27-2013, 10:34 AM
GOMU1104, I stand by my prediction and I'm willing to wait to be vindicated. You want to guess what Al's advice to Buzz would be? How about Al's advice to the Marquette administration? Look at the school's history since McGuire's departure. Look at the respect Buzz is now getting from fellow coaches and the national media.

Again I'm willing to wait for my prediction.

JDubMU
02-27-2013, 10:51 AM
I agree with Tulsa on the HOF prediction. I'm just afraid he gets in because of the work he puts in elsewhere. To get in as MU coach it would take a coach becoming the second coming of Mike Krzyzewski's long term consistency. Sorry but I just don't see that happening with this administration. Lets appreciate coach Saturday as I for one believe it will be our last home game with Buzz.

kneelb4zerg
02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Thumbs down on this entire thread.:mad:

ge1974
02-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Fr. Pilarz and Larry Williams will "rue the day" if Buzz leaves Marquette for any reason. I don't care if we even bring in Doc Rivers to replace him. I'd rather have Buzz.

Goose85
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Buzz will be a hot coaching commodity, and as such will be on many a schools radar as he has been in the past.
Big East conference is ending - MU no longer in the best college hoops conference.
Would coaching in the Big 12, ACC, SEC, etc be more appealing than in the B7 conference?
NBA jobs will be open including the Milwaukee Bucks.

You never know what opportunities will be out there for Buzz. If he decides one is a better fit for him, who knows.

My point of the thread is, Buzz has done a great job for MU, and just in case this is his last home game, I hope the fans cheer for him just as they do the seniors.

IWB
02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
GE - I think that is the thought of many MU fans supporters. As i have said before, I don't care if you replace him with John Wooden, there are no guarantees. I was born and raised in Milwaukee, I love it here. But it is not for everyone. It is a hard place to recruit to. VERY hard.

Some coaches are great coaches that don't have to recruit hard. (See Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, UNC)

Some coaches are great recruiters that are not good coaches .

Buzz has both. He works his ass off. MU needs every little advantage they can get - The AL, Humphrey Hall, an NBA facility.

As a bonus Buzz also has a very strong and outgoing religious side to him, which is perfect for MU.

He is also the ultimate David vs Goliath story, a country kid that went to a Juco and worked hard to pay his tuition in cash. He climbed the ranks the hard way, with an unrealistic work ethic and a passion for what he did. Marquette is a small school that will always play the role of David in the David vs Goliath scenario.

The two were made for each other.

warriorfan4life
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Thumbs down on this entire thread.:mad:

This. Not the time and place, especially on the free board.

TulsaWarrior
02-27-2013, 11:43 AM
IWB, having worked in the academic world I can see why some cannot see what Buzz brings to Marquette. Lots of over sized egos and people educated beyond their intelligence. I had a college intern I mentored and his profs and the provost disliked him. The bottom line is they were jealous as heck. The former intern is a now an award winning anchor in a pretty big market -- not one of those blow dry types but a real working journalist.

Goose85
02-27-2013, 11:57 AM

Not the time and place to discuss what Buzz has done for MU, and suggest we show him some appreciation by cheering for him in our last home game?

A couple more wins and Buzz should be coach of the year in one of the best conferences in the country. I hope the fans do show him appreciation in our last home game.

TedBaxter
02-27-2013, 12:03 PM
I've said it in private and I'll say it here. Best overall coach at Marquette (bench coaching, player development, recruiting) since some guy named Al and with Buzz' attention to detail, probably better than Al as a coach.

milkbone
02-27-2013, 12:04 PM
From Scout Board
.Actually have heard from a pretty good "inside" source that things are fine now. it was "growing Pains" between all parties concerned...
.Everything is fine to what it was one year ago.

Hope the above is true!!!!

MUBasketball
02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
From Scout Board
.Actually have heard from a pretty good "inside" source that things are fine now. it was "growing Pains" between all parties concerned...
.Everything is fine to what it was one year ago.

Hope the above is true!!!!

I doubt it.

TulsaWarrior
02-27-2013, 12:12 PM
I hope that is true. Marquette would take a staggering PR hit if it appeared Buzz was pushed out.

MU/Panther
02-27-2013, 12:13 PM
We can't worry about, in what we can't control. I think the mass e-mail to Larry Williams really helped the cause, that he had to put a starement out.

Buzz loves the class that is coming in to MU next year. He is getting paid very well. He has said, he loves coaching at a basketball school. Things are much better to what they were one year ago.

Goose85
02-27-2013, 12:31 PM
I just think Buzz has done an outstanding job with this team, and I would love to see the fans acknowledge that / him in some way on Saturday.

JS had an article about how Bo should be coach of the year in the Big 10, and they may be right. I think Buzz has a real shot at coach of the year in the Big East too, but that won't get much publicity here.

I just thought with it being the last home game a few Buzz for COY signs or BUZZ chants would be appropriate seeing what he has accomplished coaching this team.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
I agree with Goose, regardless of how you feel about the Buzz v. Admin situation we should find ways as fans to show Buzz our appreciation for what he has done for this university every year. It doesn't have to be about proving a point to LW, lets make it about truly appreciating Buzz. I'm sure we can all agree he deserves that.

MU/Panther
02-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Maybe the students can chant, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz, Buzz!

Hamostradamus
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM

The Final Four starts in about 30 days, and is when a lot of coaching vacancies are filled. There really isn't any better time to make sure the Admin knows that the fan base simply will not accept a "Program is bigger than any Coach, a lot of great coaches want to come here, etc." kind of attitude.

BLT
02-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Buzz already has 116 wins in less than five full seasons and what will be 5 NCAA appearances. Al had 90 and two. Hank had 107 and 4. TC had 102 and two with a F4. Deane had 100 and two. Hank's is perhaps the best comparison. Rick and KO never made it to five years. MU fans should cherish Buzz every game.

TulsaWarrior
02-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Buzz inherited four high major players and not much else. Crean did the best he could but he did not hand over a team with the depth of the current Marquette squad. Hank and Deane inherited rosters that for the time were in pretty good shape. Rick had to deal with a lack of administration support and a radically changing college basketball scene. KO had to do a total rebuild.

So many times comparing coaches and transitions -- well it's apples and oranges and different eras. That said it's my opinion Buzz has the best skill set of any Marquette coach.

With the conference changes Marquette needs a stable coaching situation. It's good Management 101 stuff.

A footnote that really hasn't been talked about this season is the job Buzz did rebuilding his coaching staff. From top to bottom this is an outstanding group. The best since McGuire, Raymonds and Majerus.

TheSultan
02-27-2013, 02:01 PM
What annoys me the most about threads like these, is that we only have about five or six of them per week. Look, everyone likes Buzz. I'm sure the administration has heard it from dozens of people. The student section chanting his name isn't going to do one thing to change anyone's mind.

Goose85
02-27-2013, 02:07 PM
A footnote that really hasn't been talked about this season is the job Buzz did rebuilding his coaching staff. From top to bottom this is an outstanding group. The best since McGuire, Raymonds and Majerus.

Watching Buzz interact with his assistant coaches during the game is interesting as well. Ball will go out of bounds and MU is inbounding, Buzz will quick turn, get feedback from an assistant, and then yell instructions to the team. Seems he really looks for Wainwright on those type of situations.

Goose85
02-27-2013, 02:11 PM
What annoys me the most about threads like these, is that we only have about five or six of them per week. Look, everyone likes Buzz. I'm sure the administration has heard it from dozens of people. The student section chanting his name isn't going to do one thing to change anyone's mind.

It's not to change anyones mind, it is to discuss showing appreciation for Buzz and this really great season in the last home game of the year.

Phantom Warrior
02-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Sultan,

I disagree with you about not having an impact (changing anyone's mind). Showing Buzz appreciation is a sign of respect. What if Buzz is offered anoither position, and he seriously considers taking it - sitting on the fence so to speak. But he remembers the fans at the BC chanting his name and/or giving him a standing ovation, and/or displaying signs indicating their appreciation.

Plus, you may think demonstrations of appreciation may have no effect on the administration, but you don't know that. I'm pretty certain that LW knows Buzz has support among fans like us that visit MU hoops sites. But we can be semi-easily dismissed as the "lunatic fringe." Some 15,000 - 16,000 fans giving Buzz a standing ovation and chanting his name when he is introduced, however, is a different matter. It sends a loud, clear, and powerful message that more than we fanatics want Buzz to stick around.

The bottom line is this: there really is no "wrong time" or "not the time" to demonstrate appreciate for a coach. There is absolutely no harm in such demonstrations - no negatives whatsoever - and some potential plusses.

You just bristle at any potential criticism of LW and Pilarz.

TrevorCandelino
02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
No matter what anyone says, EVERYONE likes to feel appreciated.....

If you don't feel appreciated at home, no matter how much you may like your home, you start seeking it elsewhere - it's basic human nature.....

I see no harm in letting Coach Buzz know that he is appreciated by those of us "outside the bubble" of the athletic department/basketball program/administration.....

MU Viking
02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Coach Buzz is the man! I hope everyone in the Marquette administration is letting him know this and making him feel as if he has full university support. Not to do so would be not only foolish but would lead to a lot of angry alumni.

farmerdoc
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
I have never been much of a letter writer. I wonder how seriously letters in support of Buzz are taken by administration? I'm not a big money guy or donor. Do they care? I do wonder.

TedBaxter
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
I have never been much of a letter writer. I wonder how seriously letters in support of Buzz are taken by administration? I'm not a big money guy or donor. Do they care? I do wonder.

I think a letter to Buzz may be more important.

kneelb4zerg
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm all for giving love, appreciation, rose petals, whatever. I just object to it being given under the premise that this "might be Buzz's last home game." Are we really that paranoid that the worrying starts even earlier than normal? Did we not just come off an awesome win, but now a day later, it's back to the typical post-season paranoia about our coach (and it's not even post-season yet?):mad:

Buzz deserves our admiration and respect under any circumstances, not just because we are worried that this might be his last home game.

TheSultan
02-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Sultan,

I disagree with you about not having an impact (changing anyone's mind). Showing Buzz appreciation is a sign of respect. What if Buzz is offered anoither position, and he seriously considers taking it - sitting on the fence so to speak. But he remembers the fans at the BC chanting his name and/or giving him a standing ovation, and/or displaying signs indicating their appreciation.

Plus, you may think demonstrations of appreciation may have no effect on the administration, but you don't know that. I'm pretty certain that LW knows Buzz has support among fans like us that visit MU hoops sites. But we can be semi-easily dismissed as the "lunatic fringe." Some 15,000 - 16,000 fans giving Buzz a standing ovation and chanting his name when he is introduced, however, is a different matter. It sends a loud, clear, and powerful message that more than we fanatics want Buzz to stick around.

The bottom line is this: there really is no "wrong time" or "not the time" to demonstrate appreciate for a coach. There is absolutely no harm in such demonstrations - no negatives whatsoever - and some potential plusses.

You just bristle at any potential criticism of LW and Pilarz.

No, kneel said it best. I bristle at the paranoia, the self-loathing, and the naivety that chanting the guys name is going to make a difference one way or another.

TheSultan
02-27-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm all for giving love, appreciation, rose petals, whatever. I just object to it being given under the premise that this "might be Buzz's last home game." Are we really that paranoid that the worrying starts even earlier than normal? Did we not just come off an awesome win, but now a day later, it's back to the typical post-season paranoia about our coach (and it's not even post-season yet?):mad:

Buzz deserves our admiration and respect under any circumstances, not just because we are worried that this might be his last home game.

This is perfectly stated.

Phantom Warrior
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Under ordinary circumstance, I think it not only appropriate but also desirable to show Buzz some much-deserved respect at the last home game of the season. He has done a remarkable job with this group. Remarkable. Fans should giv e him a standing ovation and chant his name whether there was an ominous cloud on the horizon or not.

But these are not ordinary circumstances, and they haven't been since Cottingham got unceremoniously made the fall guy and shown the door. To pretend otherwise is being naive. It's possible the situation has changed, but it was sufficiently well-known to have been commented on in the national media.

The bottom line is that Buzz deserves the fans' public expressions of sincere appreciation. And if LW is there, let alone Pilarz, so much the better. For that matter, I'd love to see the t.v. commentators comment on said demonstrations of appreciation.

warriorfan4life
02-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Kneel and Sultan hit on the head. Buzz deserves attention, chants, cheers, etc. for the coaching job he has done this year and every year here at Marquette. Buzz has coached his ass off in molding a talented but mish-mosh group of players to 11 Big East wins so far and a real chance at a protected seed in NCAA's.

However, we can discuss the potential issues between Buzz and the administration later, and not before one of biggest home games in years and following an awesome home win.