PDA

View Full Version : Fan quotes that shouldn't be lost in the celebration

TulsaWarrior
02-26-2013, 08:34 AM
These are quotes I found around the Internet that deserve to be showcased. They tell the story of what the Marquette Basketball program is about under Buzz Williams.

"Haven't had an in game coach like this since 1977."

"Buzz beat Syracuse getting next to nothing from Blue, Lockett, or Anderson. He beat Syracuse using line-up combinations that he hasn't used before, using a zone offense we haven't seen before. He rolled the dice and decide to attack 'Cuse playing BIG and trying to beat them inside, abandoning the 3 guard offense that has been a staple of his since he arrived. He beat them playing zone, when he is a man coach. He was made to look like a genius when Jake Thomas scored his first points of the year. He beat 'Cuse by abandoning his hockey line changes and showing 'Cuse a line-up they can't possibly have scouted. He beat Cuse getting 19 points from his starters."

"Of course, the players had to make plays, and they did. Wonderful plays. But Buzz won this game by developing and giving minutes to 10 guys all year and then picking the write ingredients for last night's cake. Just phenomenal in-game adjustments."

"Buzz has a unique way to get both individuals and teams to recover from poor performance for the next outing......seldom lose two games in a row."

My thought -- Buzz achieves success by respectfully building a type of family, a strong personal relationship and being a "teacher" in the best sense of the word.

IWB
02-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Great post Tulsa - I think you hit it on the head with your thought, and that is exactly what Buzz always refers to as his "culture".

JohnnyRev
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Yes Tulsa -- My thought -- Buzz achieve success by respectfully building a type of family, a strong personal relationship and being a "teacher" in the best sense of the word.
As a teacher all my adult life, I truly admire superb teaching. Coaches are often the best teachers at a school. Buzz is even more so - I vote Buzz for MU "teacher of the year."

IWB
02-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Johnny Rev - Please feel free in taking your vote and passing it around at your office!

MayorBeluga
02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Johnny Rev - Please feel free in taking your vote and passing it around at your office!

And the Jes Res...

Goose85
02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Yes Tulsa -- My thought -- Buzz achieve success by respectfully building a type of family, a strong personal relationship and being a "teacher" in the best sense of the word.
As a teacher all my adult life, I truly admire superb teaching. Coaches are often the best teachers at a school. Buzz is even more so - I vote Buzz for MU "teacher of the year."

It wouldn't hurt if some in the administration knew that many supporters of the university feel the same way.

MU Viking
02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
And the Jes Res...

And all places where Jesuits live on campus...:cool:

IWB
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
That is one thing that may go unnoticed here. Sure, everyone in the MU community enjoyed the win last night, it was exciting, it was huge. But those of us here are diehards. We notice things. There are fans, employees and people in the administration that watched that game and thought it was great - thought Davante, Jamil and Junior carried MU, and oh, the shot by Jake Thomas?

Yet those people probably don't realize the different lineups, the different offense, the fact that Vander was pulled for Jake etc etc.

There is no question that Buzz coached his butt off and out coached a hall of famer, but do those that are not diehards see that?

Do people realize how huge of a role Buzz' coaching played in that game last night?

TulsaWarrior
02-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Good question. There's someone being paid to notice and advise the administration.

TrevorCandelino
02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Good question. There's someone being paid to notice and advise the administration.

Tulsa, not sure I understand the second part of your post. there's someone being paid to advise the administration? is that true? advise them of what?

TulsaWarrior
02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
That's the AD's job.