PDA

View Full Version : WVU travel problems

MUBasketball
02-25-2013, 12:07 PM
This is hilarious.

http://www.exponent-telegram.com/sports/article_b06ac074-7e3e-11e2-aa76-001a4bcf887a.html#.USq58E40he0.twitter

TedBaxter
02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
I hope the people pushing Gonzaga are reading this. The question to me, how does it get this far before realizing it is a problem? People in education sometimes need to be edjycated. Book smart isn't always smart.

Nukem2
02-25-2013, 12:25 PM
All about FB dollars. The rest be damned. And, this article is talking about BB, much less the other minor sports.

Gato78
02-25-2013, 12:39 PM
They couldn't anticipate this before they moved?

TedBaxter
02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
They see the dollar signs only.

Goose85
02-25-2013, 01:21 PM
The distance was something talked about on most every message board I read during that whole conference shakeup period. Seemed all the WVU fans were concerned with was that the new conference money would offset the travel costs, never caring about the actual impact on students who had to do the traveling.

A national conference for football is fine, when you play at most 6 road games and all on weekends. It is the other sports that play mid week that really suffer.

This is why the WVU folks keep throwing around rumors that Cincy, Louisville, or anyone else more regionally appealing will be headed to the Big 12.

The way they acted on the way out the door to the Big 12 doesn't have any Big East fans feeling sorry for them.

Careful what you wish for - you made your bed, now sleep in it - you got what you deserved - etc.

pbiflyer
02-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Stupid is as stupid does.

IWB
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
I love it. Absolutely love it.

We have talked this to death in the football discussion, in the Gonzaga discussion, though it apparently never occurred to the people at West Virginia.

TheSultan
02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
I think you guys are exaggerating the problem. USF is further away from its conference members than WVU is theirs - they just want schedules that are more travel friendly. They still make this move knowing what they know now.

TedBaxter
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
USF is in the same time zone as most the Big East schools and the Big East schools, for the most part, are close to major airports. I'd imagine getting from Morgantown to places like Ames, Lubbock, Manhatten, Stillwater, Waco, Lawrence isn't the easiest.

TheSultan
02-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Oh I understand that. And "exaggerating the problem" was a poor use of words on my part. I just don't think this was an unintended consequence by any means. They knew what they were getting into. And again, they are in a much better place now than they would have been had they stuck around. They are simply asking the conference to help them cut down on their costs.

Phantom Warrior
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
It ain't gonna be no picnic for UConn to travel to Houston and SMU either or for SMU and Houston to travel to UConn. See those tears in my eyes?