PDA

View Full Version : Question about stipends

Drbchilds
02-23-2013, 08:33 AM
I was curious about the stipends our players receive. The NCAA allows a stipend to be paid to our players for food, laundry, etc.
Anybody know what this amount is and does it vary by sport?

IWB
02-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Trying to find an answer for you Dr. B, but can't find details. Will see what I can find out.

Drbchilds
02-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks Jim! Also curious if the amount of the stipend differs if the player is a Freshman, Senior, Grad Student, etc.....

IWB
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Shouldn't differ, should all be equal.

Drbchilds
02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Interesting.......

I know that tuition, books, etc are usually more for a grad student, so I wondered if Trent Lockett might get a larger stipend than say a Steve Taylor.

I guess that makes sense that the year of enrollment for any particular student shouldn't make any difference at all as far as the stipend our NCAA athletes receive for food, etc. etc.,

IWB
02-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Dr. B - I am not 100%, but I think I have found the answer.

Each school does it differently. Stipends are often based on where you live and what is offered. At a school like Marquette, the basketball players live in Humphrey Hall. There is no meal plan at Humphrey, so the players would be given a stipend for food. That stipend would be based off of a typical campus meal plan. The good part about that is, you can eat where you want. If you are on campus near the union - you can eat at the Union. If you are near Humphrey, you can eat at a place like the Broken Yolk, which many players do.

The thing about eating at a place like the Broken Yolk is that it is cheap. So, eat at the Broken Yolk for breakfast and lunch, and you may have enough for a better dinner somewhere. Make sense?

Here where it changes - now the freshmen and sophomores are being forced to live in Carpenter Hall. Carpenter Hall does have a meal plan, so freshmen and sophomores no longer receive a stipend, they are required to follow the meal plan that Carpenter Hall has. No flexibility like you have with the stipend.

At least that is how it was explained to me.

Hamostradamus
02-23-2013, 02:29 PM
How does this compare to other schools we recruit against?

IWB
02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
It varies at every school. You would have to know a lot about the specific program to know that answer.

Schools like Wisconsin have a lof of the students athletes living off campus, so it is a different game. They get a stipend that includes room and board too. Might give them $1,500 per month. Which is great if you have 4 guys living in a house for $250 rent per month. (don't know their real number, just an example)

I don't know how it is in other Big East schools, all depends on their setup.

Look at Kentucky - I don't know if they need one as they have a high class restaurant as their cafeteria. A place like St. John's where many live off campus would be more like Wisconsin.

Drbchilds
02-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Maybe things are different now, but I remember when I lived in McCormick, the cafeteria was not open 24 hours a day. The Basketball players have a ridiculous schedule with classes, practices, film, weights, study halls, etc., etc., and their unique schedules might not line up when the cafeteria is open.....

Hopefully the food is better now.......Runny scrambled eggs, Turkey Tetrazzini, **** on a shingle.....ugh. Our guys deserve better than that.......

Hamo....I would guess that we might be the only school in the country that doesn't give their kids a stipend until their Junior year.

Only a guess, and I hope I am wrong, but it sure seems that Buzz is recruiting with 2 hands tied behind his back.
I would love to see what he could do with an even playing field and the FULL support of the University.

Just my 2 cents

MUMac
02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Some schools have a cafeteria for the student athletes. It is a bit healthier. It is part of the meal plan, so those with stipends have it paid for and those that do not have stipends can use it under their meal plan.

As far as laundry, all student athletes have their work out and athletic equipment laundered for them.

As for books, they are paid for in full, if it is part of your scholarship.

The $ does not vary by sport (although, most sports split their scholarship $). It does vary by university.

Lastly, some schools give more athletic gear to their athletes than other schools. There are other perks, such as complimentary tickets to all sporting events (and priority seating). Not all schools provide that. In those cases, it is across the board (by student athlete) and not specific to scholarship athletes.

ziggysfryboy
02-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Wasnt the "Training table" in the union for the athletes?