PDA

View Full Version : OT - JJ Redick

CaribouJim
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
I've been meaning to post this since the article was published in SI in November and maybe someone already did, but with Redick now on the Bucks it jogged my memory. I know wingspan is an important metric when making an overall assessment on a player, but this article just blew me away - some eye-opening stats.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206340/index.htm

"The only active player included in the SI analysis, which went back to the early 1990s, with an arm length shorter than his height is Magic guard J.J. Redick, who stands 6'4" and has a reach of 6'3¼"—not terribly unusual for a human being but downright Tyrannosaurus rex--ian in the NBA...At 6'2¾", Wizards guard John Wall might not be able to see the very top shelf at the grocery store, but with 6'9¼" worth of arms, no doubt he can reach it."

2012Warrior
02-23-2013, 12:12 AM
When I went to the MU basketball camp, they mentioned they measure. Wade's was something ridiculous like 7'1

Phantom Warrior
02-23-2013, 04:33 AM
I keep saying that height is over-rated. Length is much more important than height.

Players don't defend opponents or grab rebounds with the top of their heads.

A post player who is 6'7" but has a reach of 7'0" can be not only as effective but more effective on both offense and defense than a player who is 6'9" with a reach of 6'10".

Quickness, strength, hops, aggressiveness, and smarts also obviously enter into the picture.

Fans are too consumed with height. It is over-valued. I am more interested in a player's reach/wing span than I am with his height.