PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's weekend watch and MU

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-21-2013, 06:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/weekendwatch022113/look-weekend-ahead-college-basketball

Pretty cool, Jason King has a short blurb about MU and how good of a job Buzz has done and if they win the Big East he will vote Buzz over Jim Larranaga for National Coach of the Year. That's pretty awesome!

mufan2003
02-22-2013, 12:12 PM
One game at a time, that is how Buzz Williams and his team looks at it. As fans, we can afford to look ahead. Jason King mentions how impressive it would be if MU wins the Big East. I decided to look at the 4 teams within one game of each other (Georgetown, Syracuse, MU and Louisville) and their remaining schedule. Notre Dame and UCONN have a shot with 5 losses, but I'll exclude them for now. Syracuse and Georgetown play each other twice in their remaining 5 games. I see Louisville only losing @ Syracuse. If I had to guess, MU would have to go 4-1 down the stretch to win the Big East outright and 3-2 to win a share of the conference:

Georgetown 10-3
@Syracuse
@UCONN
Rutgers
@Villanova
Syracuse

Syracuse 10-3
Georgetown
@Marquette
Louisville
Depaul
@Georgetown

Louisville 9-4
Seton Hall
@Depaul
@Syracuse
Cincinnati
Notre Dame

Marquette 10-3
@Villanova
Syracuse
Notre Dame
@Rutgers
@St. Johns

Goose85
02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Each of these teams have at least two games left agaisnt ranked opponents.

All teams have at least two road games remaining.

Only MU plays all remaing games against ranked opponents at home.

Syracuse has 4 of the five games against MU / Lousiville / G'Town. Toughest road by far.

Looks like every team has a real shot to lose at least one more game.

I agree MU needs to go 4-1 to win the conference. A win against Villanova would be huge.

mufan2003
02-22-2013, 12:53 PM
A win @Villanova would be huge. MU has never won @ The Pavilion. Villanova beat Louisville and Syracuse in the same week at home this season.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-22-2013, 03:24 PM
I think a win against Syracuse is even more important for tie breaker purposes. If we lose to them and end up in a mini conference it won't be good.