PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to...

MUBasketball
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Marshall Williams?

Listening to 1250 right now and they are asking callers for the best high school player they've ever seen live. Someone just called in and said Williams. That was right around when I started following MU, and I remember Williams was transferring to MU from NC State. Played his high school ball at Vincent, I believe.

Anybody know the story with him? He obviously never played at MU...did he ever enroll at the school? Was he ever on the team, if even just over the summer?

MU Viking
02-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Off the top of my head, he hurt his knee and ended up at Vincennes JC. I believe he played elsewhere afterwards too (UWGB?).

EDIT: looked it up... he sat out at GB and then transferred again to Georgetown College in Kentucky and became an NAIA All-American.

http://www.resumebucket.com/marshallw

IWB
02-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Vike is correct, but there is more to it.

He hurt his knee at NC State and that is what led to him leaving there. Was going to come to MU, but apparently he never did any academic work while at NC State, so MU could not take him. That is when he went the Juco/GB/GC route.

He graduated from Georgetown College in Lexington, KY and is still in Lexington. I know he was going to coach a ABA team in Milwaukee last year but for whatever reason backed out.

DCwarrior
02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
My memory may be wrong, but wasn't his Vincent team his junior or senior year just dominant. I thought they were nationally ranked and beat a couple of out-of-state nationally ranked teams as well.

ge1974
02-21-2013, 10:07 AM
I saw him play with Vincennes and his knee was very bothersome at the time (2001?). He'd have to get it massaged by the trainer every ten minutes or so. He could still play but one could tell the knee slowed him.

I wonder why surgery wasn't successful?

TheSultan
02-21-2013, 10:10 AM
I thought he was teaching, along with Jose Winston, back at MPS? I guess not...

IWB
02-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Maybe he is - I know he was around last summer, but will check.

TulsaWarrior
02-21-2013, 02:19 PM
As I remember his surgery and rehab were screwed up. I think he was a Mike Heideman recruit at Green Bay. When Tod Kowalczyk came in there was a personality conflict and Marshall left. There were moments when he was in Green bay during open gyms where you could get a glimpse of what could have been for him. It's good to hear he got he degree.

Phantom Warrior
02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
DC Warrior,

I believe one of the Vincent teams included Jose Winston, who went to Colorado and then possibly UWM, M
James Wright, who did go to UWM, Terry Sanders, who went to prep school and then MU, and Williams, but I could be wrong. If I am right, though, imagine an MPS school with four players on the roster who played D-1.

TheSultan
02-21-2013, 04:23 PM
One of the Vincent teams also had Carl Landry (JUCO then Purdue)...Boo Wade (UW)...Deonte Tatum (JUCO then Hawaii)...Dejuante Wade (UWGB).

And that doesn't include 2002 Mr. Basketball Greg Brown who was highly ranked coming out of JUCO but I don't know if he ever played D1 ball.