PDA

View Full Version : Buzz and this Team

Goose85
02-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Man Buzz has done an outstanding job developing and coaching this team.

No way did I think we would be in first place in the Big East at this late date in the season, with a real shot to win the league.

After losing two NBA draft picks Buzz and the team ...

Is in 1st place in one of, if not the best basketball conference on Feb 20.
Has a legit shot to win the league.
Has another 10 win conference season, and there are still 5 league games left.
Is in the top 20 in every poll. 14th in the RPI.
Is in a great position for a high NCAA tourney seed - keeping the NCAA appearance streak going.
Has the 4th longest active home win streak in the country - despite being in the Big East.

I know the season is long from over as we have 3 road games left (always tough) and two home games against ranked opponents, but Buzz and team have exceeded my expectations and delivered a really great season so far. Enjoy the rest of the ride this year, and thanks to Buzz and the team for an exciting season.

Hamostradamus
02-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Playing at this level on a team that lost two NBA draft picks is amazing. BE COY?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
This is definitely exciting, these last few weeks are going to be wild. I really want to get a BE championship while all the teams are still in it so this is our last chance because after this year championships will come with an asterisk. That being said we should know more after Monday because on Saturday we have a tough roadie with Nova, and G'town and Syracuse square off. Then it's Big Monday at the BC, if we go 0-2 in those games we will be out, if we go 2-0 I think we will be looking really good, the more likely 1-1 means we will be on the edge of our seats rooting for others to lose still.

MayorBeluga
02-20-2013, 10:25 AM
BE COY?

Nah. Big East rules require that Mike Brey win it every year in which Notre Dame wins at least 2 games.

Gato78
02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Fr. P. needs to extend Buzz and keep him around for a long time.

TedBaxter
02-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Fr. P. needs to extend Buzz and keep him around for a long time.

You nailed it. Hope they are thinking along those lines.

ge1974
02-20-2013, 11:22 AM
I did see Larry Williams sitting on Press Row last night right next to the MU bench. He certainly got to see Buzz in action and at his "usual coaching best".

TheSultan
02-20-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't think there is a soul in the Marquette administration that doesn't realize that Buzz is a gifted basketball coach. That has never really been the issue.

TedBaxter
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't think there is a soul in the Marquette administration that doesn't realize that Buzz is a gifted basketball coach. That has never really been the issue.

Then it should be a given that they look to give him an extension.

TheSultan
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Then it should be a given that they look to give him an extension.

I believe he has a $2M+ per year contract that has an automatic six year roll-over. It extends automatically.

The issues as I understand them aren't really going to be resolved by an extension anyway. It simply is going to be if Buzz wants to operate under the under parameters set by the administration, and/or how many of these parameters they can compromise on. Extending the roll-over from six to eight years, I don't think is going to change that.

IWB
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Changing the numbers from 6 to 8 years won't change anything literally, but the commitment will. The contract was given to Buzz by the previous administration. The current administration hasn't done anything to show a commitment to Buzz.

TheSultan
02-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Does Buzz want such an extension from MU the way things are currently structured?

IWB
02-20-2013, 12:23 PM
No idea, I am just saying that I think any type of commitment from the administration might go a long way.

TheSultan
02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Oh I understand what you are saying. It just takes two parties to negotiate.

Goose85
02-20-2013, 12:26 PM
MU, after consulting with a few boosters, should go to Buzz and say you have a roll over contract so no real need to extend, but in appreciation of the outstanding job done this year (especially if they keep on winning) we would like to give you a one time bonus of $xxxx, a donation to Buzz's Bunch, and a paid trip to ??? for you and your family. We really look forward to you leading our mens basketball team into the new conference.

IWB
02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
MU, after consulting with a few boosters, should go to Buzz and say you have a roll over contract so no real need to extend, but in appreciation of the outstanding job done this year (especially if they keep on winning) we would like to give you a one time bonus of $xxxx, a donation to Buzz's Bunch, and a paid trip to ??? for you and your family. We really look forward to you leading our mens basketball team into the new conference.

Yes, this would be a well played move.

TheSultan
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes, this would be a well played move.

Agreed........

dw3dw3dw3
02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
so... who's got 500k to spare?

Goose85
02-20-2013, 01:35 PM
I really don't think it would take that much money, I think it is more of the gesture that would mean more to Buzz. Of course money is great, but the idea that they support him and appreciate what he has accomplished would be almost better than cash.

TulsaWarrior
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
It will take a meaningful and respectful two way dialogue. Buzz has entered a level where he can write his own ticket anyplace in the country. I hope administrators don't screw up. Buzz's salary is the most cost effective marketing the school has ever done. A new package should include better living accomodations, for the athletes. A basketball player's schedule is absolutely crazy. While getting the "student" experience and "accountability" Marquette administrators should reward these high profile ambassadors. Take a look at other elite programs or programs with similar religious affliliation -- Georgetown, Creighton, St. Louis, Villanova or the good Baptists at Baylor. Hell, how about the Methodists at SMU? What are they doing?

Djgoldnboy
02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
You hearing this Larry Williams, Fr. Pilarz and any of the other "people/supporters" out there that can make it happen!!!!! Start taking notes from this thread and put a plan in action.

dubs98
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
You hearing this Larry Williams, Fr. Pilarz and any of the other "people/supporters" out there that can make it happen!!!!! Start taking notes from this thread and put a plan in action.

amen to that dj