PDA

View Full Version : OT - Big Man on Campus?

ge1974
02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Johnny Manziel of Texas A & M. What a "student athlete"!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texas-m-qb-manziel-accepts-234206456--ncaaf.html;_ylt=AjZhKCNUsRNBmFOI9zrGquUcvrYF;_ylu= X3oDMTRvYTNmc2w1BG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE5DQU FGIEhlYWRsaW5lcwRwa2cDZjFkZThhODItZTMzNS0zNDAzLWE5 OTUtNThkZmE5MDg2ZDJlBHBvcwMzBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJMaXN0TW l4ZWRMUENBVGVtcAR2ZXIDN2NkYTBjZTAtN2EzMC0xMWUyLWJm YWQtODg2N2ZlYzhmNzc3;_ylg=X3oDMTFqdXByMzhlBGludGwD dXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuY2FhZgRwdA NzZWN0aW9ucw--;_ylv=3

"Johnny Football still finds time to be a college student too, even though the Texas A&M star doesn't have to be on campus very often for classes. His schedule this semester consists of four online classes in sports management, and he just got done with a series of tests and other work.".

IWB
02-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Online classes? Apparently those are pretty popular now.

Goose85
02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Paying a ton of money for college where your kid goes and sits in his room and takes online classes.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Love how he makes going to the Super Bowl and all these events like its something all college kids do... I for one can say that NBA All Star weekend and the Super Bowl were never on my agenda in college, must be nice, apparently I was an under privileged college student.

Goose85
02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Love how he makes going to the Super Bowl and all these events like its something all college kids do... I for one can say that NBA All Star weekend and the Super Bowl were never on my agenda in college, must be nice, apparently I was an under privileged college student.

I was just happy when I had enough cash in my pocket at the end of the night for Real Chili.

IWB
02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Goo - True on the online class thing, but I was referring to the fact that online classes are pretty well accepted now.

Buzz for Pres - No, that is not the normal deal for college kids, but when you go to school down there, the Super Bowl and NBA All-Star game were within reasonable driving distance, so if I am a high profile athlete, I'm saying - hey guys - let's go! Now the hotels, gas food etc - can get costly.

ge1974
02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
That MANY online clases??? Johnny Football is only a freshman. Doesn't he have some school core requirements to take such as history, english, math, science, etc? Hell, even a Horton Roe music type class (for you old-timers).

IWB
02-19-2013, 11:55 AM
You would think GE - my first thought was that the online classes could have been science, math etc... but they I re-read, all are Sports Management. Now, having a dgree in Sports Management I know there are some tough classes with Anatomy, Physiology, Kineseology, Strategic Management etc etc, but something tells me those aren't the classes Johnny is taking.

Goose85
02-19-2013, 12:09 PM
That MANY online clases??? Johnny Football is only a freshman. Doesn't he have some school core requirements to take such as history, english, math, science, etc? Hell, even a Horton Roe music type class (for you old-timers).

I think Johnny Football is a redshirt freshman. Maybe he took those core courses on line last year, or maybe over Christmas break.

farmerdoc
02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
amen to that Goose. Real Chili actually sounds pretty good to me right now!

TheSultan
02-19-2013, 01:40 PM

You can get entire degrees online even at "traditional" schools.

TulsaWarrior
02-19-2013, 02:07 PM
My wife teaches Calculus online for a well respected and nationally known university. I worked in Distance Education for more than a decade at a community college. We had students from all over the country who were getting credits that fit into their schedule and had a decent price tag. What is Marquette doing in this area and are the athletes allowed to take online credits?

MUBB713
02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
In Manziel's case.. Online classes= someone doing the work for him. It's extemely easy to cut corners in most online classes.

TheSultan
02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
In Manziel's case.. Online classes= someone doing the work for him.

This is a guess right?

Nukem2
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
As someone suggested on another board, the University of Phoenix could now have an athletic program. :)

MUBB713
02-19-2013, 05:04 PM
This is a guess right?

It didn't come out really how I intended it too but what I'm basically saying is that online classes are a complete joke and can be easily manipulated. For instance, you can take an online class with your buddies and trade-off doing the homework assignments, do the exams together, get answers from people who took the class previously, etc. My guess is that Manziel is probably taking one or more of the shortcuts I just mentioned like 99% of the other kids who take online classes. I think they are a loophole and I wouldn't be surprised if more and more athletes take this route. In my experience, an online class comes out to about 30% of a normal class' course work.

To answer your question, yes, it is a guess but it does raise a lot of red flags that he is taking 4 of them. I probably shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that someone was doing the work for him but the reason I didn't hesitate was because I see him as more of a celebrity than a college sophomore. Probably my bad.

TheSultan
02-19-2013, 06:38 PM
I took a bunch of online classes for my MBA, and in my experience, those who teach online best don't use homework...or exams, etc. Most of the time it was focused on discussions, group projects, etc. where collaboration was encouraged.

Probably the nature of the degree though.

pbiflyer
02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Goo - True on the online class thing, but I was referring to the fact that online classes are pretty well accepted now.

Buzz for Pres - No, that is not the normal deal for college kids, but when you go to school down there, the Super Bowl and NBA All-Star game were within reasonable driving distance, so if I am a high profile athlete, I'm saying - hey guys - let's go! Now the hotels, gas food etc - can get costly.

And the party on South Beach?

And the claim that he didn't want to cause a scene in class seems a bit disingenuous given his high profile antics.