PDA

View Full Version : Going "BIG" Moving Forward

bleedbluegold03
02-17-2013, 07:49 PM
One of the bigger takeaways I liked from Saturday's class performance was the utilization of the "BIG" line up to trump the zone. I absolutely loved Buzz using a lineup with Otule and Gardner in and Jamil at the 3 and it is without a doubt the most height to wear B&G since the FF team with Meritt and Jackson.

Do you guys see Buzz using this lineup in the future? One would assume it could be used to counteract Cuse's size on the 25th. Needless to say, it gives opponents a lot more to think about.

Nukem2
02-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Depends on matchups. Worked for a bit vs. Pitt. Cuse, no way...! Just a situational lineup......

IrwinFletcher
02-17-2013, 08:24 PM
I think there was one stretch where is was CO, DG and Taylor as the 3 big men.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-17-2013, 08:28 PM
The last few games Buzz has been putting Gardner at the high post against the zone and I really dont understand this. Sure Gardner is a good passer but the guy at the ft line against a 2/3 zone needs to be able to dribble, pass and shoot and Gardner doesnt pose this threat from that spot which makes our 2/3 zone offense less potent imo.

TheSultan
02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I think there was one stretch where is was CO, DG and Taylor as the 3 big men.

I don't think so. I think Otule came in for Taylor with Jamil and Davante on the floor.

AlexJesswein
02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't think so. I think Otule came in for Taylor with Jamil and Davante on the floor.

There was definitely at-least one possession with Otule, DG and Taylor.

Nukem2
02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
The last few games Buzz has been putting Gardner at the high post against the zone and I really dont understand this. Sure Gardner is a good passer but the guy at the ft line against a 2/3 zone needs to be able to dribble, pass and shoot and Gardner doesnt pose this threat from that spot which makes our 2/3 zone offense less potent imo.Actually, it does present a good high-low combo and saw that vs. Pitt with DG and JW. And, the can alternate. BTW, DG can shoot high. I like it as an alternative. Buzz has been showing the alternatives lately. More arrows in the quiver.

Markedman
02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Yep there was

There was definitely at-least one possession with Otule, DG and Taylor.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Actually, it does present a good high-low combo and saw that vs. Pitt with DG and JW. And, the can alternate. BTW, DG can shoot high. I like it as an alternative. Buzz has been showing the alternatives lately. More arrows in the quiver.

I'm all for having wrinkles to throw at teams but the wrinkles have to add value and I don't believe this one does. I'm not a fan of DG at the high post---he's too easy to guard from that position and makes it much easier on the defense as he really doesnt present a threat from that spot on the floor. I'd much rather see a more versatile player like JW there (which he typically is).

MUMac
02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
I agree that it depends upon match-ups.

For Cuse, I would like to see more of Taylor paired with DG or CO. I loved the high/low, with Taylor playing the high, against the zone. Only saw a little of it on Saturday, but I thought it had a lot of potential against the zone.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-17-2013, 09:36 PM
It's not a package that we can play for extended periods of time. If both DG and CO are in there and get tired you have nobody to replace them. It's definitely something you can do for 3-5 mins but other than that you gotta do your normal groups.

Nukem2
02-17-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm all for having wrinkles to throw at teams but the wrinkles have to add value and I don't believe this one does. I'm not a fan of DG at the high post---he's too easy to guard from that position and makes it much easier on the defense as he really doesnt present a threat from that spot on the floor. I'd much rather see a more versatile player like JW there (which he typically is).DG can hit the jumper from there and did so a couple games ago. Big things though are that he can pass from there and also reverse roles (with Jamil ) and go low. Just more alternatives and keep teams from beating on Davante as they have been....