PDA

View Full Version : What we can expect from a new media partnership

TulsaWarrior
02-16-2013, 05:08 PM
A lot of us have been addicted to ESPN coverage. Heck, they have been the only game in town for years. I've loved their Internet streaming and have worried about whether Fox, NBC or CBS could match the coverage and access with the new league coming. Living in Eugene, Oregon these days I had to depend on the CBS online stream to watch today's game. The quality of the video and production values were superior to ESPN. Putting down the kind of money Fox or one of the other networks are ready to do will insure that their investment will not be handled like just another college conference. The network with the winning bid will showcase the new Big East or whatever the league is called. Over the air and streaming should be better. Competition will force that kind of approach.

Now if we can get Marquette merchandised marketed nationally like we see Georgetown and Notre Dame staff.

Tmreddevil
02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
CBS' online coverage of the NCAA tournament is superb. Everything from the quality of the picture, to the way they notify you of close games and/or pending upsets, to the boss button which brings up a fake email client with funny messages are all top of the line. My only complaint is that they did not take Bill Simmons' suggestion to have Gus Johnson on call for all upset games (while still with the network) :)

I am a bit hesitant about how fox will do in this since we are all treading new lands together, but I agree that increased competition can only be good for the consumers at the end of the day.

bleedbluegold03
02-16-2013, 08:05 PM
on the flip side tho, I was at the game and want to watch the replay, but it's $18 for a month long membership; on the flip side, ESPN is normally free

kneelb4zerg
02-16-2013, 08:12 PM
People were skeptical when Fox won the bidding for NFL rights and look what happened. I'm psyched about partnering with Fox.

TulsaWarrior
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM
It reminds me of the days of the first home satellite dishes. Everything was free...nothing scrambled. That is what will happen with free live and archived games. We're paying now for through Internet providers. This is how Marquette and other schools will get $3 milion per year. It's no longer just butts in arena seats. The real money will come from TV and Internet access so Miwlaukee transplants like me living in Oregon can see every game. I'm giving up wine to try and cover the expense. :eek:

Nukem2
02-16-2013, 08:47 PM
It reminds me of the days of the first home satellite dishes. Everything was free...nothing scrambled. That is what will happen with free live and archived games. We're paying now for through Internet providers. This is how Marquette and other schools will get $3 milion per year. It's no longer just butts in arena seats. The real money will come from TV and Internet access so Miwlaukee transplants like me living in Oregon can see every game. I'm giving up wine to try and cover the expense. :eek:Well now, a little jug wine might be in order.... :)

TulsaWarrior
02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
The good news is we have a lot of vinyards in the Willamette Valley. ;-) Cheaper wine and perhaps a part-time retirement job as a taster? I have experience in this area of quality control.

Nukem2
02-16-2013, 09:54 PM
The good news is we have a lot of vinyards in the Willamette Valley. ;-) Cheaper wine and perhaps a part-time retirement job as a taster? I have experience in this area of quality control.Go for it.... :)

MU/Panther
02-17-2013, 08:10 AM
on the flip side tho, I was at the game and want to watch the replay, but it's $18 for a month long membership; on the flip side, ESPN is normally free

You should DVR the game, like I do.

IWB
02-17-2013, 09:35 AM
The good news is we have a lot of vinyards in the Willamette Valley. ;-) Cheaper wine and perhaps a part-time retirement job as a taster? I have experience in this area of quality control.

I had spent 10 years in the wine business. Would love to come out to Pinot Noir country and work with you Tulsa!

ValiantSailor
02-17-2013, 01:20 PM
I had spent 10 years in the wine business. Would love to come out to Pinot Noir country and work with you Tulsa!

Going regularly to Milwaukee bars lets you put "wine business" on your resumé?

VS

IWB
02-17-2013, 01:28 PM
VS - that's pretty good.