PDA

View Full Version : Burton

Phantom Warrior
02-13-2013, 10:52 AM
DB had 34 points last night against what must be a pretty weak defensive team since Vincent scored 94 points. Still, DB nailed two treys. It seems to me he's had at least one three-pointer in practically every game over the past month or so, and sometimes has had two or even three. In short, it seems as if he's a pretty decent three-point threat. If so, added to his mid-range game and his ability to drive to the hoop, he will be a nightmare to defend.

lougrant
02-15-2013, 08:56 PM
I must seem to catch him on off nites, but I've yet to see Burton play well. Tonite he was really over matched vs. Looney. Burton looks to have a ways to go to be a contributor next season.

MUAlphaBangura
02-15-2013, 09:09 PM
I must seem to catch him on off nites, but I've yet to see Burton play well. Tonite he was really over matched vs. Looney. Burton looks to have a ways to go to be a contributor next season.
Was at the game tonight vs. Hamilton. Burton struggled the whole night with Looney's length. Completely overmatched despite his overwhelming strength. I actually think Kevon Looney's chest is concave, he was that thin. But Looney never really seemed to force anything, seemed to always make the smart play, while Deonte continually forced the issue and just really played as bad a game as I have ever seen him play. He stood around the 3 point line most of the night and threw up a lot of ill-advised shots. Seemed to be pouting at times while Looney was stone faced and went about his business. If anyone thinks that Deonte is going to come in next year and be a factor, please think again so you are not dissapointed. He has potential, but he also has a looooong way to go.

kneelb4zerg
02-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Was at the game tonight vs. Hamilton. Burton struggled the whole night with Looney's length. Completely overmatched despite his overwhelming strength. I actually think Kevon Looney's chest is concave, he was that thin. But Looney never really seemed to force anything, seemed to always make the smart play, while Deonte continually forced the issue and just really played as bad a game as I have ever seen him play. He stood around the 3 point line most of the night and threw up a lot of ill-advised shots. Seemed to be pouting at times while Looney was stone faced and went about his business. If anyone thinks that Deonte is going to come in next year and be a factor, please think again so you are not dissapointed. He has potential, but he also has a looooong way to go.

I'm all for tempering expectations for freshmen, but Im also against overreacting to what happens in one game.

MUAlphaBangura
02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm all for tempering expectations for freshmen, but Im also against overreacting to what happens in one game.
Not overreacting at all. I've seen Vincent play 4 times in person this season alone. He has played well in the other games because he could physically dominate his opponents. He couldn't come close to doing that to Looney tonight even though he was waaaayyy stronger than Kevon. His basketball skills are nowhere near ready to compete in a structured half court setting. Maybe you should try to not be everybody's moral compass. I know what I'm talking about and just trying to give everybody on the board a fair assesment.

warriorfan4life
02-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Not overreacting at all. I've seen Vincent play 4 times in person this season alone. He has played well in the other games because he could physically dominate his opponents. He couldn't come close to doing that to Looney tonight even though he was waaaayyy stronger than Kevon. His basketball skills are nowhere near ready to compete in a structured half court setting. Maybe you should try to not be everybody's moral compass. I know what I'm talking about and just trying to give everybody on the board a fair assesment.

On the flip side, how much structure does Burton currently play in now. Also, I think Marquette plays at a faster tempo next and tries to run whenever possible, which will help Burton get on the court. I think JJ may get more minutes because his type of game is badly needed on the wing for us, but I think Burton is also part of the rotation.

kneelb4zerg
02-15-2013, 09:51 PM

I respect your opinion but I will take it with a grain of salt. Not really a 'moral issue' but whatever.

Gato78
02-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Saw the game on TV. Looney was incredible. Burton could not handle his size. Burton's coach has no clue. I know his coach's(Marcus Hines) history is a good one but the plan for Burton was to get him ball on the low post or let him shoot a three. No movement whatsoever in their offense which really hurt Burton. Looney killed him with height and length in the low post so Burton could not operate. Burton will be in a better position with Buzz. Looney is one and done. Had 30+ points and is without question a 2 or 3 at 6'8". I have said that before but tonight's performance was dominant and should have sealed up Wisconsin POY. One thing I am sure of--he will not go to Wisconsin. The Bucky fans behind the Hamilton bench should not have bothered.

TheSultan
02-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Doesn't Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin have to go to a senior?

MUMac
02-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Doesn't Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin have to go to a senior?

Yes, you are correct

Gato78
02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Whoever gets it will know Looney is better.

MUAlphaBangura
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
On the flip side, how much structure does Burton currently play in now. Also, I think Marquette plays at a faster tempo next and tries to run whenever possible, which will help Burton get on the court. I think JJ may get more minutes because his type of game is badly needed on the wing for us, but I think Burton is also part of the rotation.
Zero structure whatsoever on that Vincent team. Totally play out of control, I'm gonna get mine basketball. One of the most poorly coached teams I have seen. Don't like to see our future kids playing in a system in which they are not learning. Will for sure be a short term setback for Deonte, but hopefully he will be a quick learner once he is exposed to Buzz's system. Not saying he won't get minutes. Just hard for me to imagine him being a regular part of the rotation because I actually think it might take some time to define a position for what his skills are.