PDA

View Full Version : UWM Athletics Hall of Fame

DKelly28
03-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I had a discussion Tuesday night after the game at Harry's with a few others about the Hall of Fame and mentioned that Shannon Smith was the last basketball player to be inducted back in 2002. I'm glad that the other sports have gotten the spotlight through their members being elected but you can't go 10+ years without inducting a member (or more) from the sport that is the face of UWM Athletics. As for Shannon, he deserves to be a HOFer but I don't know if he should have gone in that quickly. Larry Reed didn't even get inducted until 2000!

Anyways, who would everyone like to see in the UWM Athletics Hall of Fame from men's basketball? Maybe it is for the best that the biggest names don't go in until they build the new place and actually have a physical Hall of Fame.

Here are some names (most should be obvious suggestions) who I feel are deserving:

Gerald Hardnett
Glen Allen
Bob Gottlieb
Erik Schten
Andy Ronan
Joe Schultz
Von McDade
Marc Mitchell
Craig Greene
Pat McCabe
Cyrus Caldwell
Chad Angeli
Clay Tucker
Dylan Page
Ed McCants
Joah Tucker
Adrian Tigert
Boo Davis
Chris Hill

Eventually, down the line I could see Steve Antrium, Bruce Pearl and recently graduated guys like Ricky Franklin, Anthony Hill, James Eayrs getting in.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Jimmy Lemke
03-01-2012, 08:10 PM
The fact that our program is built on the backs of players 2003-2011 and none of those players are in (mainly the 03-06 crew) is a little disconcerting.

AT, Clay, Ronnie Jones, Joah, and Dylan Page should be in.

DKelly28
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I think that they should put in a MBB portion and non-MBB portion in each class. They really need to catch up on MBB. It's nice that they have multi-sport athletes from the 40s and 50s in but to only have 4 men's basketball members since 1967 inducted is a shame.

The first group of five I would induct - Marc Mitchell, Clay Tucker, Dylan Page, Joah Tucker, Adrian Tigert. 2nd five - Gerald Hardnett, Von McDade, Craig Greene, Ronnie Jones, Ed McCants.

IWB
03-02-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't know about guys like Franklin, Hill and Eayrs. They were really good, but not HoF material. Think back to guys like Von McDade and Clay Tucker. Use those guys as the bar to compare players to.

DKelly28
03-02-2012, 10:59 AM
True, but a lot of the athletes in the HOF from the 60s and prior don't quite have the qualifications to really be considered HOF material but they are in anyways since you can't really compare the modern era of Milwaukee athletics to the early-pre UWM era of athletics. Once Shannon Smith got in for his short time here though, which was productive stat wise, but not so much team wins wise that it opens the door who have a mixture of both.

Regardless, Anthony, Ricky and James wouldn't get in before the guys from 03-06 and the early 90s guys anyways.

IWB
03-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I hear you - good points.

Goose85
03-02-2012, 01:09 PM
What about putting the 'sweet 16 team' into the hall of fame?

Enjoy the flashback below.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/7243321

Von McDade and Joah Tucker should be in the UWM hall of fame.
If Jeter left, would they ever take Pearl back (when his suspension is done)?

parkerj
03-03-2012, 02:04 AM

if they did, i'd become a Green Bay booster in a hurry

Jimmy Lemke
03-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Pearl has a show-cause slapped on him that will keep him out until August 2014. So don't expect him to coach anyone, let alone the Panthers, soon.

Besides, I kind of like having amicable relationships with former bitter foes at Marquette, Green Bay and UIC.

CoachC
03-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Von McDade is automatic and should be selected immediately. He help lead/build the foundation of the program and it's shocking that any player who came AFTER him (S. Smith), would get the nod over him first. He did for UWM what Tony Bennet did for UW-Green Bay, legitimized the program. Clay Tucker should be a easy #2 followed by Craig Greene.