PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Center Position Trends?

bleedbluegold03
02-11-2013, 10:18 PM
We've seen a different trend of late the last four games with Otule seeing the floor more and Gardner less. I took a quick look at each player's averages the last four games against their season averages and also compiled the Center position to see how the two have fared combined.

What are everyone's thoughts on the current utilization / trends of each player and the position moving forward?

Markedman
02-11-2013, 10:30 PM
My thoughts are that Chris has been playing better of late. We need better rebounding from both especially on the defensive end.

It's no coincedence that Gardner has struggled more against teams like the Hoyas and Louisville then against Depaul and SF.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Have to find a way to continue to work Ox into the mix but keep rolling with the hot hand and give lions share of mins to Otule. His defense alone has been good enough to justify the majority of the mins between the two over the last few games.

TheSultan
02-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Defenses are doubling down very quickly on Gardner and forcing him to pass. And they aren't doubling from up top either, so passing out and reposting is hard to do. Defenses aren't collapsing on Otule in the same way. He should have had a couple additional baskets, but turned the ball over because he looked like he was trying to avoid contact.

Otule has really stepped up his game in recent weeks. Makes me think that he has gotten over whatever physical and/or mental issues resulting from his knee injury.

Djgoldnboy
02-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Agreed Sultan, about 3 weeks I said to friends that I wish CO2 wouldn't come back for another year. In the three weeks since, he has repeatedly made me eat my words. He's back to the form he was before getting hurt, hopefully he continue to gets even better!!

Smee
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM
You can't put all of this on the bigs. This team goes as the point guards go...most do. When we go against faster guards who can contain our penetration there aren't any driving paths so there are no overcorrections on defense. Very few paint touches = Less baskets = Less defensive fouls = Less free throws = Loss.

Davante is big, and so is Chris and they can overcome many defenses even when the paint is jammed, but the front lines on the teams they are playing are very good and if the guards are being handled, the big timber can pack it in. Davante's size and strength can carry the day at times, but he is going to have trouble against any packed defense featuring tall players with help on the back side. I suppose we can start nailing some threes and that would free some lanes and free the inside, but this team does not appear to be able to rely on that.

Florida: Guards kicked our point guards on offense and defense. Junior was contained. So was Derrick. We did not get any space for bigs to work.

UWGB: same as Florida although a much milder whooping. I did not see this game and am going on what I heard and the box scores.

UCONN: This is the notable exception. Their point guards (both of them took turns..Boatright and Napier) and dominated offensively. We got just enough stuff done offensively by our point guards and our bigs beat theirs.

Louisville: Same as Florida.

Georgetown II: Same as Florida to a lesser extent.

Cincinnati and Butler did not involve our guards getting corraled. Those were good games with fair to good all around play by our point guards...overall. We were cold at times. Our bigs had pretty good games too. We just lost those games .

Bob