PDA

View Full Version : Substitutions at 11.35

Nukem2
02-11-2013, 07:40 PM
And the technical may have cost this game...?

MUMac
02-11-2013, 07:55 PM
MU did not take care of the ball, played weak defense and gave up far too many offensive rebounds. The T did not help, but MU's play is what cost the game. Georgetown looked beatable tonight. MU was beatable tonight.

Nukem2
02-11-2013, 08:02 PM
But.. MU was in good shape at that point and lost all continuity after that. It was a very decisive moment in spite of all the other stuff. We did have momentum even if the ref gave the ball to GU at that point.m Momentum is everything....

MUMac
02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
It changed the momentum, but you seem to cite (as you had in the first half) moments in time that MU played well. Most of the game MU did not play well and most of the game they were not in it.

I am not buying that call cost them the game. You can, that is your right. The way MU played is why they lost. Simple as that.

Nukem2
02-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Oh, I understand that, but Buzz did cost the guys a chance tonite....I dropped my jaw when he made those substitutions. We played poorly, but there was the opportunity and G'Town was faltering. Need to go for the jugular. Did not happen. Time for Pitt.

TheSultan
02-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Oh, I understand that, but Buzz did cost the guys a chance tonite....I dropped my jaw when he made those substitutions. We played poorly, but there was the opportunity and G'Town was faltering. Need to go for the jugular. Did not happen. Time for Pitt.

Vander and Junior had not been out that half. (And I think it was at 12:33...cause he was waiting for the under 12 timeout.)

TedBaxter
02-11-2013, 08:15 PM
- Marquette didn't move the ball against the zone.

- Gardner wasn't a factor offensively.

- Marquette didn't cover Porter or Starks at times when the ball was moving.

- Marquette didn't secure the boards.

- Marquette turned the ball over too much.

The only positive I saw in the game was Jamil looking for his offense late in the game. He needs to be looking for his shot instead of directing traffic. Would like to see more of Steve Taylor as he is the one guy who can get some offensive rebounds on the baseline.

DCwarrior
02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
MU plays well when Cadougan plays well. Junior was awful tonight and so was the team.

MUMac
02-11-2013, 08:28 PM
The only positive I saw was Juan's timing to sit down after his 5th foul. He sat down right when they were shooting a FT, causing the student section to shout "Sit Down" as he was shooting.

Other than that, nothing positive to take out of it.

Markedman
02-11-2013, 08:36 PM
You nailed it Ted.....Jamil has to be more agressive in the first half of games.

I have no idea why we went froma good rebounding team to getting outhustled so much in the last few weeks but when you shoot as bad as we do from outside you have to get offensive rebounds and take care of the ball.

We did neither especially in the first half.

Why have we laid so many eggs in first halfs of road games? Cincy, Louisville and now GT....Might be time to get Jamil back into the starting lineup but then again he does tend to get early fouls in almost every game.

- Marquette didn't move the ball against the zone.

- Gardner wasn't a factor offensively.

- Marquette didn't cover Porter or Starks at times when the ball was moving.

- Marquette didn't secure the boards.

- Marquette turned the ball over too much.

The only positive I saw in the game was Jamil looking for his offense late in the game. He needs to be looking for his shot instead of directing traffic. Would like to see more of Steve Taylor as he is the one guy who can get some offensive rebounds on the baseline.

Nukem2
02-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Other than the technical and the subs at the 11:35 (12:33?) point and all the TO's and the lack of defensive rebounds and poor 3 point defense, the real problem in this game was the last 2:45 of the first half when the team lost focus and went from 3 down to 10 down. Thats truly hard to overcome against a team like G'Town. This team is Team Jekyll / Team Hyde...................on to Pitt on Saturday at home in the BC.

Markedman
02-11-2013, 08:41 PM
3 point defense wasn't that bad.....GT only shot 28% 1 was a lucky bank shot.....The one that stands out was when Otule picked Junior and Starks had all day to shoot and knocked it down but we were already down big when that happened.

Gato78
02-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I had this discussion with Mrs. Gato. Despite what was actually poor three point shooting by Georgetown, it seemed like they made a big percentage. Must have been when they were made that made it seem like they hit a lot of threes.

lougrant
02-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Agree about re-inserting Jamil in the starting lineup. Juan is now shooting well under 40% from the floor. Would also like to see Taylor assume more of his minutes.

Junior is a maddening player to watch. His M.O. at MU is he puts up good numbers vs. the crappy-OK teams and lays an egg vs. teams with a pulse.

MUMac
02-11-2013, 09:01 PM
I had this discussion with Mrs. Gato. Despite what was actually poor three point shooting by Georgetown, it seemed like they made a big percentage. Must have been when they were made that made it seem like they hit a lot of threes.

I think they hit some in streaks. That is why it seemed they made a higher percentage. That, and some were at critical times. Plus, when you bank one in, it seems that all are going in. If I am not mistaken, that bank was their 3rd consecutive.

MUMac
02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Agree about re-inserting Jamil in the starting lineup. Juan is now shooting well under 40% from the floor. Would also like to see Taylor assume more of his minutes.

Junior is a maddening player to watch. His M.O. at MU is he puts up good numbers vs. the crappy-OK teams and lays an egg vs. teams with a pulse.

Taylor is struggling with the length of the BE right now. I would like to see more of him, but I suspect Buzz is bringing him along properly and not trying to break his confidence as he learns.

bleedbluegold03
02-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Truth of the matter is, Junior has been exposed often on both sides of the ball in BEast play. We owe him UConn without a doubt, but here are how the stats breakdown when you separate our opponents into NCAA quality (Gtown x2, UConn, Pitt, Cincy, Ville) and bottom feeders (USF x2, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence)

PTS
FG
3PT
AST
TO
A/T
REB
STL

GOOD
39%
14%

BAD
49%
33%

Overall I was really, really disappointed with the L coming from this game. That is not to say I expected a victory coming into it, but if you had told me Starks and Porter would shoot 12/30 and Gtown would shoot under 40% from the field to go along with under 30% from 3pt (not to mention 15 TOs), I would've put a house down on us walking away with a victory. We had two players show up and give the level of performance needed for a road victory in this conference (Otule, J. Wilson) and 7 that completely laid eggs.

It is frustrating for us to fall to a very beatable, inferior opponent (and don't kid yourselves, without Whittington, we are a decidedly better team) but if we show up at home the rest of year and don't trip at the road games we should win (Seton Hall and Rutgers) we will get 13 wins, a top four finish, and no worse than a 4 seed in the NCAA to set us up for B2B2B S16 runs.

All of us can agree, Saturday will tell us ALOT about the fortitude of this team and whether they are a average, advantageous bunch, or a squad that can make a bit of noise in March.

mufansince72
02-11-2013, 11:08 PM
When Junior gets in funks like he was in tonight, I would like to see Buzz try to play with Vander at the point and Mayo and Lockett on the wings.

mutpm
02-12-2013, 06:10 AM
The part of the game that was frustrating to me was just before the technical. MU had cut the lead to 35-27. On 2 of the next 3 possessions, they forced turnovers and didn't score. They followed that up with 2 more stops and conversions to cut the lead to 35-31. Georgetown then got a layup and MU got a 3 from Jamil to make it 37-34. MU forced another turnover and then the technical. MU had stopped Georgetown on 7 of the last 8 possessions before the technical and had scored on 3 consecutive possessions before the ball was called off of Gardner.

After the technical, Georgetown scored 12 points on their next 6 possessions. The technical changed the momentum of the game. Georgetown went from struggling to score to scoring on every possession.