PDA

View Full Version : Can MU win the Big East?

mutpm
02-11-2013, 12:16 PM
There has been some discussion on who is the best team in the conference this year. I am still on the side that MU is good, but not the best team in the conference. On the positive side, MU is in 1st place and controls their own destiny the rest of the way. That's the position you want to be in and solely because of this, yes, MU can win the Big East.

There is evidence out there that suggests that MU will not win the conference. Over the past 3 seasons, the team that won the Big East regular season also led the league in scoring margin. 4 years ago, the league champion was 3rd and 5 years ago, the champion was 2nd. Through yesterday's games, Louisville leads the league in scoring margin and MU is in 4th. Obviously, if MU continues to win, their margin will increase. The biggest reason why I'm not overly optimistic MU will win the regular season championship is that MU has played the easiest schedule in the Big East so far. Half of MU's wins have come against the bottom 3 teams in the league and MU is 5-0 against teams with losing records. Right now MU is 3-2 against teams with a winning record with 6 of the final 8 games against teams with a winning record.

I know this will come across as pessimistic, but this is the reason why I still have some skepticism on this team. I am more than ecstatic that MU has raced out to an 8-2 record and hope they continue to win.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Can we win? Yes, will we win? I don't believe so. I think we will finish in the top 4 though. This final stretch of games is SO difficult that its going to be real tough to keep up with Syracuse. Not to mention the game against Syracuse is essentially a must win if we want to be 1st in conference and I just really think we will struggle in that game even though its at home. Even if we do win against Cuse we still have to win 6 or 7 of our last 8 I'd think.

That being said if we pull out a win tonight we would have at least a 2 game lead over everyone else in conference for a top 4 finish with 7 to play...