PDA

View Full Version : Surprised at these numbers

Gato78
02-09-2013, 09:07 PM
If this is correct, Fox will have the B-7 TV deal. More interesting is that the hoops only schools will make more money under this deal than they would have with the $1.17 billion nine year deal turned down 2 years ago which was over weighted toward the football schools.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8932681/sources-big-east-catholic-7-close-reaching-media-rights-deals

TheSultan
02-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Where do you see that Gato?

MU_Iceman
02-09-2013, 10:11 PM
What's interesting is judging from this article it doesn't seem at all like Fox is pushing for 12 teams. If they are okay with 10, then I think that's the smart move to start. You can always go to 12 later, but as others have pointed out, 10 teams gives a perfect round robin.

MUAlphaBangura
02-10-2013, 11:05 AM
What's interesting is judging from this article it doesn't seem at all like Fox is pushing for 12 teams. If they are okay with 10, then I think that's the smart move to start. You can always go to 12 later, but as others have pointed out, 10 teams gives a perfect round robin.
Was at a function before the game yesterday and had a chance to talk to LW before he addressed the crowd. He intimated that 10 was the number, at least to start with. Would absolutely love this.

pbiflyer
02-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Was at a function before the game yesterday and had a chance to talk to LW before he addressed the crowd. He intimated that 10 was the number, at least to start with. Would absolutely love this.

He spoke at the pregame at USF and said starting at 10, eventually growing to 12.

Phantom Warrior
02-10-2013, 11:57 AM
So who's #10 assuming Butler and Xavier are #8 & #9? My choice would be Creighton.

TedBaxter
02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I think IWB has already mentioned that name a number of times.

CaribouJim
02-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Was that the dental school thing at the bar in the north side of the BC on the 2nd level? I'm OK with 10 to start with as the dust still settles on the conference shuffles as a couple gem schools may fall in the league's lap, but I really think the league RPI will take a big hit with only 10. I know that is nice and neat to have 10 and therefore play everyone twice, but I'd prefer 12 teams and a 16 game conference season to free up two non-conference games to promote the league across the ENTIRE country from coast to coast while stiffening up the league's RPI. Just my 2 cents (which is technically worth more than 2 cents).

NOTE: At the dental school thing, there appeared to be a crowd of anti-denttites that were converging at the entrance/exit of the function. I came in and dispersed the crowd before things got out of hand - you can all thank me for that.

Nukem2
02-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Agree that 12 makes more sense from an NCAA bid perspective.

Gato78
02-10-2013, 12:41 PM
In April 2011, former Big East commissioner John Marinatto recommended the Big East accept ESPN's nine-year, $1.17 billion deal, but the league's presidents voted to turn it down. That deal would have earned full members $13.8 million a year and non-football members $2.43 million a year.

Where do you see that Gato?

TheSultan
02-10-2013, 12:44 PM
In April 2011, former Big East commissioner John Marinatto recommended the Big East accept ESPN's nine-year, $1.17 billion deal, but the league's presidents voted to turn it down. That deal would have earned full members $13.8 million a year and non-football members $2.43 million a year.

But it doesn't talk about any possible B7 contract...just the "new" Big East contract. And the BE contract includes football.

Gato78
02-10-2013, 12:48 PM
IWB having mentioned Fr. Tim Lannon (of the Society of Jesus) is currently the President of Creighton, on the MU Board of Trustees and a man who has many, many Milwaukee contacts through MU and MUHS, it makes a lot of sense that Creighton is very high in the pecking order. He was President of St. Joe's in Philly before that so you have to assume he has good relationships with Villanova's administration and perhaps others. Makes sense he would be in a great position to lobby for Creighton's inclusion.

So who's #10 assuming Butler and Xavier are #8 & #9? My choice would be Creighton.

MU_Iceman
02-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Good, glad to hear the Presidents have some sense and will start at 10. The added 3, assuming the 10th is Creighton will all have earned their inclusion. That's what i want to see happen with the final two, when they go to 12. Specifically if it's going to be SLU and Dayton...let's see if they can get things going in the right direction ON the court, and earn their inclusion.

MUAlphaBangura
02-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Was that the dental school thing at the bar in the north side of the BC on the 2nd level? I'm OK with 10 to start with as the dust still settles on the conference shuffles as a couple gem schools may fall in the league's lap, but I really think the league RPI will take a big hit with only 10. I know that is nice and neat to have 10 and therefore play everyone twice, but I'd prefer 12 teams and a 16 game conference season to free up two non-conference games to promote the league across the ENTIRE country from coast to coast while stiffening up the league's RPI. Just my 2 cents (which is technically worth more than 2 cents).

NOTE: At the dental school thing, there appeared to be a crowd of anti-denttites that were converging at the entrance/exit of the function. I came in and dispersed the crowd before things got out of hand - you can all thank me for that.

Do you really think I hang with dentists? You know me better than that.

Gato78
02-10-2013, 02:45 PM
The discussion here, on the always reliable interwebs, was that each B-7 school would make about $5 Million.

But it doesn't talk about any possible B7 contract...just the "new" Big East contract. And the BE contract includes football.

Markedman
02-10-2013, 02:49 PM
The Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova -- haven't formed a new league yet, but Fox Sports has been the leader for their media rights, sources said. Fox Sports' offer would be worth between $30 million and $40 million per year depending on how many teams are in the league, sources said.

"Barring a hiccup," Fox Sports will land the media rights deal for the Catholic 7's new league, a source said.
So if those numbers are correct it's a minimum of 3 million per school if they start at 10 schools.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I think the 5 million figure came from if they did an uneven distribution of the TV deal. Haven't heard much more about that since it came out though, will be interesting to see how this all sorts out, I would imagine we will be waiting some time for all the legal crap to get sorted out.

IWB
02-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Have to wonder what is going on behind the scenes. I was told by a very credible source a while ago that they went from 10 to 12 teams. Now Larry has told people at events that they are likely to start at 10. Why?

Are they in agreement on the first three teams and arguing about who the final two should be?
Are they thinking that ND could be returning if the ACC implodes? Not that ND would want to leave, but they reportedly joined because they wanted a guarantee of scheduling 5 football games. If FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Miami, Va Tech and Virginia leave, do they want a schedule with 5 of the rest?

I would love to sit in on one of those meetings. See what is on the table, who is taking charge, who wants what schools in etc.

MayorBeluga
02-11-2013, 08:21 AM
I still wonder if there are some discussions with UConn involving dropping football to 1AA and staying with the B7. This allows the B7 to likely keep both MSG and the Big East name, allows UConn to continute to play games in NYC as well as slowing the losses from football. Pure speculation, of course.

TheSultan
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Have to wonder what is going on behind the scenes. I was told by a very credible source a while ago that they went from 10 to 12 teams. Now Larry has told people at events that they are likely to start at 10. Why?

Are they in agreement on the first three teams and arguing about who the final two should be?

That could be...or maybe they are crunching the numbers and seeing that the marginal revenue that two extra teams provide isn't going to be worth dividing the pie two extra ways.

IWB
02-11-2013, 08:43 AM
I hear you Sultan, and that is the argument that I have always made for the Big XII, but here NCAA credits are a big piece of the puzzle too, and a 10 team league will not warrant as many NCAA bids as a 12 team league.

TheSultan
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
That's a good point...and I will admit I don't have a real good understanding of how tourney credits work.

CaribouJim
02-11-2013, 09:11 AM
I still wonder if there are some discussions with UConn involving dropping football to 1AA and staying with the B7. This allows the B7 to likely keep both MSG and the Big East name, allows UConn to continute to play games in NYC as well as slowing the losses from football. Pure speculation, of course.

I've heard that UCONN wants to stay in the picture so I wouldn't doubt it if there were discussions with them.

TheSultan
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
It does make me wonder if schools whose budgets were built around $10M TV payouts, counting on potentially $15M payouts, and now seeing them reduced to $3 or $4M, if they will view it as worth the effort. But my guess is UConn is going to hold out hope for a potential ACC invite should more of their schools leave...and decide not to drop to the FCS level.

Goose85
02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I hear you Sultan, and that is the argument that I have always made for the Big XII, but here NCAA credits are a big piece of the puzzle too, and a 10 team league will not warrant as many NCAA bids as a 12 team league.

Agree IWB. The Big 12 media deal is so big that it really makes the NCAA tourney credits almost a throw in.

For the B7 conference, the NCAA credits are going to end up being a large portion of the revenue.
If the two additional teams added to get to 12 have regular NCAA tourney appearances, then the new teams will bring enough money to the conference table though credits to make it worth going to 12.

I also think the first two years of the conference will be huge from a national perception standpoint. If we have 12 and 5 get in, that will be huge. If we have 10 and only 2 get in - mid major national perception.

MU/Panther
02-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Was at a function before the game yesterday and had a chance to talk to LW before he addressed the crowd. He intimated that 10 was the number, at least to start with. Would absolutely love this. I was at the same event for the dental school.

Markedman
02-11-2013, 10:35 AM
It could be as simple as once you add a school you can't get rid of them so take your time and get it right. You can always add Dayton/St. Louis/VCU later.

If the ACC does implode or if UCONN/Memphis/Cincy want in later you are in a much better spot with 10 teams then 12 or 14.

Halo
02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
This. I agree. You get one shot at this and just take the sure things now. Creighton is very committed to hoops and has one of the top attendance rates in the country. SLU and Dayton will always be available. But there could be better options in a year and they must have some inkling something is going on. While you need bottom feeders, we already have a few with the B7.

It could be as simple as once you add a school you can't get rid of them so take your time and get it right. You can always add Dayton/St. Louis/VCU later.

If the ACC does implode or if UCONN/Memphis/Cincy want in later you are in a much better spot with 10 teams then 12 or 14.

MUMac
02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Some real good dialogue in this thread. I liked hearing from Caribou that UConn still has an interest. I would not mind that - under the right circumstances. Markedman really hit my thoughts. I suspect the thinking has changed and wonder if a UConn or even ND might still be in the picture.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Very good points, we are stuck with Depaul and Seton Hall already (I have some hope for Providence still), we don't need to rush to add another team that will leave us looking weak.

MUAlphaBangura
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Some real good dialogue in this thread. I liked hearing from Caribou that UConn still has an interest. I would not mind that - under the right circumstances. Markedman really hit my thoughts. I suspect the thinking has changed and wonder if a UConn or even ND might still be in the picture.

Mac, the subject of UCONN was brought up to LW as our small group talked to him at the Turner Hall brunch. He did not seem enthused by the prospects of bringing in UCONN, only to see them leave for greener pastures in the future, but made no definitive statement one way or the other. On a lighter note, he did mention something about removing DePaul from the league if they don't get their act together.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't think it would be a bad idea to write some sort of clause into league membership about performance standards. These don't necessarily need to be directed at Depaul but something stating that if you don't perform to a certain level you can be replaced by the league after so many years of non-performance. That way after 5 or 10 years whatever the determined time frame is we can boot Depaul or any other school if they don't carry their weight.

CaribouJim
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't think it would be a bad idea to write some sort of clause into league membership about performance standards. These don't necessarily need to be directed at Depaul but something stating that if you don't perform to a certain level you can be replaced by the league after so many years of non-performance. That way after 5 or 10 years whatever the determined time frame is we can boot Depaul or any other school if they don't carry their weight.

I think it would be borderline insane to entertain the thought of booting DePaul and the 3rd biggest TV market in the country that goes with it. They'll get their act together before too long.

TheSultan
02-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Every conference bylaws detail procedures needed to expel members. I'm sure these would too.