PDA

View Full Version : BE, BB7 to split in 2014

MU_Iceman
02-08-2013, 09:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8931014/big-east-seven-catholic-schools-hope-split-summer-2014-source-says

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Not really much new or ground breaking there, while I think we would all like for things to happen sooner I think timing will be good for them to wait and the BE next year will still have some clout as ND and Louisville are still around and Memphis and Temple join up to replace Cuse and Pitt. It's after next year that things swing down hill quickly.

Phantom Warrior
02-09-2013, 04:18 AM
The following year - assuming UConn and Cinci can't find another conference - that will be one hell of a mediocre basketball league with USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Tulane, and ECU (or will ECU be football-only?). Either way, UGH! UMass and Tulsa? More UGH!

I feel sorry for UConn. NOT!

ValiantSailor
02-09-2013, 07:54 AM
...and ECU (or will ECU be football-only?).

ECU was announced as football-only before the B7 was announced. That hasn't changed - yet - but many down here think that ECU will eventually get full membership in whatever that conference is called. (How about "Conference America"?)

VS

MUBasketball
02-09-2013, 09:09 AM
ECU was announced as football-only before the B7 was announced. That hasn't changed - yet - but many down here think that ECU will eventually get full membership in whatever that conference is called. (How about "Conference America"?)

VS

I actually think that now that Boise & San Diego State backed out, they end up keeping the Big East name. Sounds like they won't be adding any western teams anymore so being the Big East won't be as ridiculous as it would have been had those two schools joined. I just can't see how the Hoops 7 willingly leave the conference...but get to keep the name.

TulsaWarrior
02-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Phantom -- for the record Tulsa will be a good addition for the football portion of the BE. There's a dollar commitment and football is huge in that part of the country. In terms of basketball they have some history with Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith and Bill Self. Danny Manning is the new head coach. He was hired last spring late in the recruiting cycle so the jury is still out. They have an on campus 8,500 seat arena and downtown (about five miles away) there's a 20,000 arena. More importantly the school has lots of big money alums who want the glory days of football and basketball to return.

Tulsa suffers from the same stepping stone situation that hurt Marquette where coaches would leave after a little success. A side note that is why when Marquette gets a coach that wants to stay and is successful you treasure him and enjoy the national attention and respect the school receives.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Even the Big East will now be a stepping stone type of conference though, I just have a hard time believeing they are going to get much respect with Tulane, UCF, Houston, Memphis, and SMU hanging around.

Mark Miller
02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Maybe I'm alone in this belief, but I'm not hung up on getting the Big East name for the new league.

It's a fresh start so a new name wouldn't be the worst thing.

I'm fine either way.

TheSultan
02-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Maybe I'm alone in this belief, but I'm not hung up on getting the Big East name for the new league.

It's a fresh start so a new name wouldn't be the worst thing.

I'm fine either way.

I generally agree with you. It would be nice to keep it, but I wouldn't put too much value on it.

MayorBeluga
02-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Having the B7 get Madson Square Garden for the conference tournament is infinitely more important than the name Big East. If you've even been to conference tournaments at both MSG and other locations, you understand why this is the case.

pbiflyer
02-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Having the B7 get Madson Square Garden for the conference tournament is infinitely more important than the name Big East. If you've even been to conference tournaments at both MSG and other locations, you understand why this is the case.

This is why he's the mayor.