PDA

View Full Version : Message from Larry Williams to students.....

IWB
02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Here is a message from Larry Williams to the student section.....

In an email to @MarquetteU students: AD Larry Williams says "Hey Song" may be discontinued due to the language. It just cannot be tolerated.

I tend to agree with Larry on this one.

TulsaWarrior
02-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Yep, that email needed to go out. It reflects poorly on the students and school.

mufansince72
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
What is the "hey song"?

MUMac
02-08-2013, 05:54 PM
What is the "hey song"?

You suck. And I am not personalizing this. ;)

I agree with Larry on this one. I know the students are always above reproach to some, but ...

Markedman
02-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Yep.....no reason for it even if similar stuff does go on at other schools as well.

MayorBeluga
02-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Agreed. Made the mistake of looking for the reaction on scoop. It was sadly predictable as most were blasting LW for e email. Pathetic.

Mucrisco
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Honestly, I thought it was funny when they did it against ND. Now it's old anyway. Can we retire the big heads too? I don't have a problem with wanting to get rid of it though. For people of an older generation than mine, that word does have a worse connotation and I can understand wanting to get rid of it. I think we should keep it alive for the Madison game though. Just for those people though.

GOMU1104
02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Can't imagine what LW would have thought of the great paper airplanes of 2006-07 or the treatment of Marcus Williams post laptop suspension.

Can't blame him though. I think the chant is played out, frankly.

MUBB713
02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah, maybe once a year against a rival is ok but I don't think it's really necessary to do it when up 20 against South Florida or DePaul or Colgate.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-09-2013, 12:06 AM
While I have no issue with getting rid of it I certainly don't think it's THAT offensive that a stand needs to be taken on it. Overall I'm mostly indifferent though and I can see how as an institution they would want to remove it. That being said I'm surprised UW still allows the whole "eat sh*t, fu*k you" chant... That to me is really over the line.

TheSultan
02-09-2013, 09:14 AM
While I have no issue with getting rid of it I certainly don't think it's THAT offensive that a stand needs to be taken on it. Overall I'm mostly indifferent though and I can see how as an institution they would want to remove it. That being said I'm surprised UW still allows the whole "eat sh*t, fu*k you" chant... That to me is really over the line.

They have tried to stop it...it is simply unenforceable with 10,000 or so students in a football stadium.

IWB
02-09-2013, 09:41 AM
They have tried to stop it...it is simply unenforceable with 10,000 or so students in a football stadium.

It wouldn't be easy, but it can be done. Start issuing disorderly conduct tickets.

Under Madison Municipal Code, any person who does any of the following acts within the city limits of Madison shall be subject to a forfeiture of not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00):

Whether in a private or public place, engages in violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct

I am not saying fine them $500, but take the same approach that the Green Bay Packers do - you get kicked out, you get a fine and you lose your season tickets. So, let the students know that if it continues, they will be fined, removed from the game and lose their season tickets. No, you can't get them all, but do 50 per game and suddenly it won't be so hilarious anymore.

Gato78
02-09-2013, 09:51 AM
This is a bunch of BS. Hardly profane and certainly not profane under the law in the time and place of a basketball game. This has been going on for years. Is he going to end the pre-game intro "suck" too? If Larry wants to stop it, don't have the band play it. There has been far more profane stuff coming from the students. If Larry is that picky, it might be easy to see how Buzz and he have problems. Note to Larry: If you want to stop the students' profanity do what your predecessors did: go into the student section and talk to them. Sheesh....

IWB
02-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Relax Gato, my comments were not based on MU's "you suck" cheer, they were based on UW's E** Sh** F*** Y** cheer. (that is why I cited the Madison Municipal Code)

Agree completely about the song. My first thought when I read that was, telling the students not to do it will only make them do it more. Simply stop playing the song and don't tell them that you are stopping - problem solved.

TheSultan
02-09-2013, 10:14 AM
This is a bunch of BS. Hardly profane and certainly not profane under the law in the time and place of a basketball game. This has been going on for years. Is he going to end the pre-game intro "suck" too? If Larry wants to stop it, don't have the band play it. There has been far more profane stuff coming from the students. If Larry is that picky, it might be easy to see how Buzz and he have problems. Note to Larry: If you want to stop the students' profanity do what your predecessors did: go into the student section and talk to them. Sheesh....

I don't think this was just Larry by the way.

Gato78
02-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I have gone to MU at ND games over the years and I think trying to match the ND ideal is good in some respects and not so good in others. Nevertheless, ticket takers and ushers at the Joyce Center (I think FB too) always greet you when you come in and when you leave. That is now happening at the BC. I do not know if this is related to Larry and I think it is a nice touch. Nevertheless, in all my road trips the only place I recall who did it was ND. Now we are doing it. Second, one of the worst and most misbehaving student sections I have ever witnessed was at Notre Dame the senior year for the triplets + Burke. Taunting Dominic about his child, throwing stuff at MU players-- a long list of transgressions far worse than anything our student section has ever done. Bottom line: we aren't Notre Dame and I love who we are but it is clear Larry wants us to be more like the ND ideal. Nevertheless, it is an ideal and the ND students are just as bad as anyone else--and on one occasion at least worse than we have ever been. Mant'i Teo comments should be more of a concern for Larry on March 3rd. That is when it could get a little dicey between Larry and the students. Noted exception: Karen Sypher comments to Dick Pitino are never out of bounds.

pbiflyer
02-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Gato, I noticed this at the Sun Dome at the USF game. Every usher greeted me and thanked me for coming on my way out.

Gato78
02-09-2013, 11:46 AM
It is a nice touch. It does NOT happen at MSG! Ushers more likely to shake you down for a tip.

Mucrisco
02-09-2013, 12:10 PM
The usher for section 219 has always been very friendly and been that way for years. She greets me every time I come in.

MU/Panther
02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Did I miss something? Why is this an issue at home game 13 of the season?

IWB
02-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Probably because the Duke students made news because they were chanting at a kid who's grandmother died, "How's-your grand-ma?"

Markedman
02-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Wow seriously? What is wrong with people? Is nothing off limits anymore?

Probably because the Duke students made news because they were chanting at a kid who's grandmother died, "How's-your grand-ma?"

MUMac
02-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Duke students did something similar to Bernard Toone in the late '70's. I believe it was his dad that died that year and they kept yelling something about that to him. They have always been a classless bunch.

BTW, Sam Worthen and Toone played great that day and MU gave Duke a scare at Cameron.

MUMac
02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Wrong thread