PDA

View Full Version : MU looking for strong non-league schedule

MU/Panther
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Marquette MikeBroeker

Looking for two high major home-and-homes. One to start home, one road. Prefer November for road game.

2013-2014, Home & Home

2013-01-30 14:20:06

So, that would give MU three H/H. Third one being Wisconsin.

ge1974
02-08-2013, 12:42 PM
My top four wish list would be UCLA (have not played them since 1964), Kentucky (would Love to see them come to Milwaukee), North Carolina (JP Tokoto return visit?) and Duke. Maryland is a team we have never played to my knowledge, either and would be a good home and home.

mutpm
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
If they are looking for another road game with UW already on the road next season, does this mean MU may get a home game in the BE\SEC challenge (if there is one?).

MU/Panther
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Don't count out the road November game to be on the west coast since MU will be in Direct TV Classic during the Turkey Week. Arizona State, College of Charleston, Creighton, George Washington, Marquette, Miami and San Diego State. The eighth team will be announced at a later date. (Big West School)

MU/Panther
02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
If they are looking for another road game with UW already on the road next season, does this mean MU may get a home game in the BE\SEC challenge (if there is one?). 2013-14 will be the last year of the BE/SEC challenge. I would hope MU has a home game, since they never hosted one.

ge1974
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
2013-14 will be the last year of the BE/SEC challenge. I would hope MU has a home game, since they never hosted one.

Hmm. I thought this was the last year and that the SEC and Big 12 have a new agreement for next year.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/01/29/sec-big-12-challenge-to-replace-sec-big-east-series/#

MU/Panther
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Hmm. I thought this was the last year and that the SEC and Big 12 have a new agreement for next year.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/01/29/sec-big-12-challenge-to-replace-sec-big-east-series/# It was written wrong on the ESPN bottomline, it said the final year of the BE/SEC would be in 2013. The games are played in November, so I read it as one more year.

Thanks for the heads up, so I can cross off a BE/SEC game at the Bradley Center.

CaribouJim
02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Is this a precursor to doing the same for the new conference - hasn't Mike expressed an interest for a 16 game conference season so the B7+ schools can schedule tough non-conference games to ensure quality RPI's.

For the '13 and '14 seasons, does MU lose a home game then?

MUMac
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Is this a precursor to doing the same for the new conference - hasn't Mike expressed an interest for a 16 game conference season so the B7+ schools can schedule tough non-conference games to ensure quality RPI's.

For the '13 and '14 seasons, does MU lose a home game then?

Almost makes me think they are expecting to play in the new conference next year.

MayorBeluga
02-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Almost makes me think they are expecting to play in the new conference next year.

Given Larry Williams' comments at MULS a few weeks back and Notre Dame's recent comment about playing in the Big East next season, it's more likely that we're in the Big East next year. The tougher schedule might just be compensation for the loss of Pitt and Cuse to the ACC since they head south after this season.

IWB
02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Or it could be that with WVU gone and Syracuse & Pitt leaving, the Big East could be scheduling one less conference game next year? Not sure.

Home and homes - obviously everyone will want Kentucky, UCLA, UNC etc., but I would rather see schools like Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Michigan, MSU, Purdue..... schools where fans on both sides can travel to the games. Iowa State would be good as they have a solid program and with Wisconsin, MU already plays a Big 10 team. Adding a Big XII team that is in driving distance would be good for both sides as opposing fans in the house will always add to building a new rivalry.

wiscwarrior
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Or it could be that with WVU gone and Syracuse & Pitt leaving, the Big East could be scheduling one less conference game next year? Not sure.

Home and homes - obviously everyone will want Kentucky, UCLA, UNC etc., but I would rather see schools like Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Michigan, MSU, Purdue..... schools where fans on both sides can travel to the games. Iowa State would be good as they have a solid program and with Wisconsin, MU already plays a Big 10 team. Adding a Big XII team that is in driving distance would be good for both sides as opposing fans in the house will always add to building a new rivalry.

I agree, I would like to see Midwestern high majors and I would not be opposed to playing more Big ? schools. Would love to see MSU, Mich., Ohio State, etc. We used to have a nice rivalry going with Minn.

MUBB713
02-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Wasn't a Minn home and home close to happening recently?

CaribouJim
02-08-2013, 03:18 PM

I bet that is it - totally forgot about the loss of teams - presumed less conference games next year. 16?

As far as non-conference game opponents, I would like exposure out west, Southwest, Atlantic and Southeast. Not just MU, but collectively for the new conference so the B7+ gets that needed national exposure during its infancy and beyond. Wouldn't hurt recruiting either. Just my opinion.

TheSultan
02-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Next year the BE will actually have more teams. Syracuse and Pitt leave, but SMU, Houston, Temple, Memphis and UCF join. 18 teams total.

CaribouJim
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Next year the BE will actually have more teams. Syracuse and Pitt leave, but SMU, Houston, Temple, Memphis and UCF join. 18 teams total.

They are all still coming in next year? Forgot about that. What a cluster "f" next year will be. 17 games then or one mirror game for 18? Awful.

mufansince72
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Someone posted a link either here or on Scout about a year ago that was the AD message board looking for games. Does anyone still have that? It was kind of cool because you could see who was looking for games, who was offering games, and what the compensation was.

TheSultan
02-08-2013, 03:36 PM
They are all still coming in next year? Forgot about that. What a cluster "f" next year will be. 17 games then or one mirror game for 18? Awful.

Here's a handy-dandy guide supplied by the Big East itself!

http://www.bigeast.org/AbouttheBIGEAST/FutureMembership.aspx

IWB
02-08-2013, 04:07 PM
What a mess - still could be the problem though - right now you play 18 conference games. Next year with 18 teams, maybe they play everyone once for 17 games?

kneelb4zerg
02-08-2013, 04:12 PM
What a mess - still could be the problem though - right now you play 18 conference games. Next year with 18 teams, maybe they play everyone once for 17 games?

Don't you need the same number of home/road games?

MU_Iceman
02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
I remember Broeker being on Buzz's show I think it was last year and he had made the comment then already that what the loss of(then Cuse and Pitt) meant was that MU would be looking to schedule tougher in the non conference. Said he realized the BE wouldn't be nearly as strong, and that they had to do something to strengthen their RPI.

TheSultan
02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
My guess is that they have one mirror game...otherwise 17 means half the conference plays an extra home game.

IWB
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I was just taking a guess - I know playing everyone once would create an uneven number of home games, but I also don't think the league cares if Rutgers, Louisville, Notre Dame or any of the BB7 schools get short changed on a home game.

mufan2003
02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
How about Indiana for a home and home!!!

mufan2003
02-09-2013, 04:25 PM
I can just imagine how much fun the MU student section would have with Crean. Would be fun but will never happen.