PDA

View Full Version : Watching Detroit at UWM

Gato78
02-07-2013, 08:56 PM
UWM players may be looking forward to IWB's Pro Am so they can play in front of some spectators.

Nukem2
02-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Rob's seat must be getting very warm....?

TheSultan
02-07-2013, 09:11 PM
With UWM hiring a new athletic director in the next month or two, and considering the money problems they have, I would bet he gets one more year.

Nukem2
02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
With UWM hiring a new athletic director in the next month or two, and considering the money problems they have, I would bet he gets one more year.
Perhaps, not sure where he is on his contract........

IWB
02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I believe his contract goes to 2017. Jimmy actually has all of the pages of the contract on the PantherU board.

Hamostradamus
02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
There is such a sense of dispair that I have to think he would take a cheap buyout and save his future rather than staying and sucking for another 4 years.

GOMU1104
02-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I have a real hard time believing he just walks away from all that money.

I have a hard time believing any of you would do that either.

TheSultan
02-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Also, coaches really aren't wired to quit and walk away like that. I just think the new AD will wait until the buy out gets cheaper.

MUMac
02-08-2013, 08:02 AM
I have a real hard time believing he just walks away from all that money.

I have a hard time believing any of you would do that either.

It's not always about the money. Sometimes it is timing. Stay too long and options erode. He may do better to leave for another job, but it may make sense for him to go back to the assistant ranks and rebuild. I would not return to UW, though, if I were thimad.

It all depends upon how he see' s success in his future.

EDIT: I hate typing on a smartphone with autocorrect!

IWB
02-08-2013, 08:07 AM
It's not just the salary, he has been a state employee for many years and has a LOT build up in his pension. I was told that one of the schools that looked to hire him a couple of years ago did not because they wouldn't touch the requirement to match his pension.

MUMac
02-08-2013, 08:13 AM
It's not just the salary, he has been a state employee for many years and has a LOT build up in his pension. I was told that one of the schools that looked to hire him a couple of years ago did not because they wouldn't touch the requirement to match his pension.

If that is the case, he has limited his options. Maybe UW-Superior needs a new coach so he can stay on the public dole and protect his pension.

TheSultan
02-08-2013, 08:14 AM

Well, the job he was supposedly a finalist for was Bradley right? According to the contract posted on the UWM site, he makes just under $500,000. Geno Ford is making upwards of $700,000 at Bradley. For a guy who has 20+ years to go before he retires, forgoing a $200k raise for the sake of a pension contribution would be incredibly short-sighted. I mean, it's not as though he will *lose* the pension he built up in Wisconsin either.

MUMac
02-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Well, the job he was supposedly a finalist for was Bradley right? According to the contract posted on the UWM site, he makes just under $500,000. Geno Ford is making upwards of $700,000 at Bradley. For a guy who has 20+ years to go before he retires, forgoing a $200k raise for the sake of a pension contribution would be incredibly short-sighted. I mean, it's not as though he will *lose* the pension he built up in Wisconsin either.

That is my thought. I understood why that made sense for Bo, but not Jeter. He is far too young to limit his options that way.

TheSultan
02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Exactly. Which makes me wonder if he got some dumb advice from his mentor. When Bo left Platteville, he was already in his early 50s and probably not making more than $100k. It would make sense why he never left for some opportunities...but UWM made a lot of sense.

Hamostradamus
02-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Hell, Bleacher Report (I know) called him a mid-major coach who will be a high major coach just last year, and he was the 2011 Horizon League Coach of the Year. If he had any real offers that he turned down to hang on to his pension, then he's a dope.

IWB
02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I think it was Miss. State, not Bradley.

And while he may be young, he has been a state employee for 18 years. If I remember how that works correctly, he gets 1/2 or 1/3 of his top 3 years of salary averaged for the rest of his life with free healthcare for the rest of his life. Being young, that is not being short sighted on his part, that is looking long into the future.

Now, he has pumped in a ton to his pension, so he will get money back out, but would a school like Mississippi State offer him a 4 year deal with a guarantee of free healthcare for him and his family for the rest of his life? As well as matching what he would lose in his pension for the rest of his life? No freaking way.

If MS State hired him and fired him 3 years later, how much will it cost them to pay healthcare for the rest of his life? The amount of lost pension for the rest of his life?

I know this sounds extreme, but I was told by someone close to the situation at the time that Mississippi State wanted him but would not touch his pension.

Hamostradamus
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
I think it was Miss. State, not Bradley.

And while he may be young, he has been a state employee for 18 years. If I remember how that works correctly, he gets 1/2 or 1/3 of his top 3 years of salary averaged for the rest of his life with free healthcare for the rest of his life. Being young, that is not being short sighted on his part, that is looking long into the future.

Now, he has pumped in a ton to his pension, so he will get money back out, but would a school like Mississippi State offer him a 4 year deal with a guarantee of free healthcare for him and his family for the rest of his life? As well as matching what he would lose in his pension for the rest of his life? No freaking way.

If MS State hired him and fired him 3 years later, how much will it cost them to pay healthcare for the rest of his life? The amount of lost pension for the rest of his life?

I know this sounds extreme, but I was told by someone close to the situation at the time that Mississippi State wanted him but would not touch his pension.

Good point. As a former state employee, I know you can usually cost out your retirement benefits pretty well. So it makes sense that he figured another year or two in the woods was worth it.

TheSultan
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
It's not free healthcare. You can use unused sick leave to buy into the State Health Plan, until you are Medicare eligible, and then buy a Medicare supplement plan afterwards. And yes you do lose your sick leave if you leave prior to retirement, however Rick Ray is making in excess of $1 million. Healthcare isn't *that* expensive that a 100% raise can't cover it. Furthermore, it's not as though the State of Mississippi has no pension or health benefits of their own.

And if he's fired at UWM, it's not going to matter anyway unless he hooks on with another UW System school.

IWB
02-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I don't know the terms as I have never been involved in the UW system pension.

But - you mention unused sick days - I imagine someone like him would have 18 years of unused sick days.

Yes, the State of Mississippi probably has a solid pension and health plan, but are they willing to pick up 18 years of whatever he had? even if it is 18 years of unused sick days?

Again - I don't give a **** what the exact details of the Wisconsin State Pension Fund are or were. I was told that they backed off because they would not touch his pension fund. I don't know if it was the unused sick leave, the State Health Plan, the supplements or whatever the hell the exact terms were, but they backed off because of it so there must be something to it.

TheSultan
02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh I'm not doubting what you have been told. I just think that either it was a short-sighted demand on Jeter's part, OR he thought he could get a better offer somewhere down the the road and would only go to MSU *if* they did this...and they balked.

MUMac
02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Jim, I don't doubt that at all. I still think it is short sighted unless he knows or is confident that he will replace Bo when he retires or UWM is his dream job. Otherwise he is limited to the other UW directional schools and only GB is D1 and that is a lateral move.

MU/Panther
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
I was glad to see that many people at the KC. I thought it was going to be much worse. It was bad travel for me going to the game with the snow.

Markedman
02-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Panther you still go to UWM games? Even this year?

Wow....you really are a true fan. I remember going to the MU/Western Michigan NIT game and wondering "why am I here" and that year wasn't even in the same universe of crap seasons as the one UWM is going through this year.

MU/Panther
02-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Panther you still go to UWM games? Even this year?

Wow....you really are a true fan. I remember going to the MU/Western Michigan NIT game and wondering "why am I here" and that year wasn't even in the same universe of crap seasons as the one UWM is going through this year. I say this in a joking style, I refer to my screen name as mupanther. :D

My wife and I have been to every MU home game and went to the Green Bay game. My wife and I have missed one UWM versus Ohio Dom on Dec. 29, because we went to the MU game. Plus, went up to see the UWM at Wisconsin. Sorry for the long-winded answer, but I feel anyone can show up for the good, but it's a true test to show up for the bad times. Plus, I pay my money for the tickets and I hate when tickets are not used, when you can give them someone for free.

Looking back at the MU/WMU game now, alot of good came out of that game. You can't have enough guards on your team.

IWB
02-08-2013, 01:37 PM
If MU/Panther is who I think he is (not 100% sure) then he and his wife are certainly devoted fans of both programs. If he is who I think he is, he and his wife are at the Pro-Am darn-near every day checking in on both MU and UWM players.

Always appreciate their support (again, if he is who I think he is).

MUMac
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
If MU/Panther is who I think he is (not 100% sure) then he and his wife are certainly devoted fans of both programs. If he is who I think he is, he and his wife are at the Pro-Am darn-near every day checking in on both MU and UWM players.

Always appreciate their support (again, if he is who I think he is).

You soud like Dennis Green. Were you pounding the table when you typed that?

IWB
02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Ha - no, just not 100% sure who the poster is.

MU/Panther
02-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Always appreciate their support (again, if he is who I think he is). You are correct, that is me.

I also like eating the pizza at the Pro-Am. I also enjoy seeing local kids like TJ Bray/Princeton & D Windler/Belmont. I like that UWGB players are in the pro-am and wish some Badgers would play in it.

MayorBeluga
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
I also like eating the pizza at the Pro-Am. I also enjoy seeing local kids like TJ Bray/Princeton & D Windler/Belmont. I like that UWGB players are in the pro-am and wish some Badgers would play in it.

The way that paragraph started, I half expected you to say you liked long walks on the beach and quiet nights at home.

MU/Panther
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
The way that paragraph started, I half expected you to say you liked long walks on the beach and quiet nights at home. That was funny! LOL:o