PDA

View Full Version : Pitino on C 7 Schools

milkbone
02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
http://zagsblog.com/articles/big-east-notebook-pitino-says-leaving-big-east-will-help-catholic-7-jersey-teams-struggling/

TrevorCandelino
02-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Interpretation of Pitino speak.......Not having to recruit and play against mighty Louisville will benefit those cute little Catholic schools.....Dick Pitino, the king of the back handed compliment....

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
To be honest he is probably right... I think overall it could boost MU a little, look at it this way, in the new league we have a much greater chance to win a conference championship every 3-5 years whereas in the Big East that's a really tough hill to climb. Would you rather play Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville every year or go against Creighton, Butler, and St. Louis every year for a conference title? Sure this league will still be tough, but for Depaul, SH, and Providence Goliath just got a bit smaller to take down.

TedBaxter
02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
From the article:

**Syracuse and Marquette are the only Big East teams unbeaten at home, and not surprisingly, they are tied atop the league at 7-2. Syracuse hosts Marquette Feb. 25.

Doesn't MU host Syracuse this year?

CaribouJim
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
From the article:

**Syracuse and Marquette are the only Big East teams unbeaten at home, and not surprisingly, they are tied atop the league at 7-2. Syracuse hosts Marquette Feb. 25.

Doesn't MU host Syracuse this year?

Correct - my Syracuse cousin is coming to Milwaukee for the game wearing orange - 2/25/13 @ 6:00 PM.

TrevorCandelino
02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
To be honest he is probably right... I think overall it could boost MU a little, look at it this way, in the new league we have a much greater chance to win a conference championship every 3-5 years whereas in the Big East that's a really tough hill to climb. Would you rather play Cuse, Pitt, and Louisville every year or go against Creighton, Butler, and St. Louis every year for a conference title? Sure this league will still be tough, but for Depaul, SH, and Providence Goliath just got a bit smaller to take down.

I'm not saying there isn't some truth to it but it annoys me to hear Pitino talk about it....

bleedbluegold03
02-07-2013, 03:41 PM
I think the Basketball 7 will most definitely benefit Marquette's program more than playing in the BEast today. let's consider the scenario:

Walking in to next year, assuming the 7 join and the 2 obvious ones, we have the following tiers IMO

Tier 1
Gtown
Marquette
Butler

Tier 2
Villanova
Xavier
St. John's

Tier 3
Everyone else

IMO, we should be top 3 year in and year out, battling for a conference championship at least once a four year period. The common populous remembers championships, even if their weight isn't as big. For example, people always remember Kansas as B12 conference champ, even tho it doesn't mean a lot some years because the B12 is a second rate conference. Recruits love winning conference championships and so does the casual fan. I don't see any reason (barring Buzz being on the sidelines) that we don't hang a new conference banner in the next 5 years with the class we have coming in

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Bleed---The argument that Marq is better off in the new conference bc they can potentially win conf championships is incorrect imo. Using that logic we should have just moved to the A-10 or Horizon League in the last few years because we would have a higher probability of winning a conference championship. The Big East was the best thing that has happened to this program in a long time even if we didn't win a conference championship.

Now a different argument is whether or not Marq is better off in the B7 instead of the imploding Big East---I think the majority of us would agree the answer is yes due to the instability and lack of control inside of the current Big East.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
I suppose saying better off may be the wrong way of putting it, but I do feel winning conference championships in an above average league will help, now there are other things that will hurt when compared to the old Big East that have been discussed too. The example of the A10 is like any other where the positive of winning a championship in this new league will be much greater than in the A10 or a mid major league, this league will still garner some respect so it is a bit different.