PDA

View Full Version : Jake Thomas did WHAT?!?!?!?

IWB
02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Homer told me about this last week. Over the rafters and hanging from a ring.....

http://youtu.be/WTryEfhOyag

ValiantSailor
02-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Sure wish he'd score points in a game....

VS

TheSultan
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Apparently his shots are simply too easy during games.

IWB
02-07-2013, 10:39 AM
I actually had that discussion with Homer recently. Jake is a very talented shooter that is in a slump - confidence is down, it is in his head. Watch him in practice and he will drain shot after shot after shot. Gets in a game, misses and doesn't shoot again. Homer said, "He needs a game with 9 shots."

I agreed - if he puts up nine, he'll hit 4-5 and his confidence will be back. Taking one shot per game, every game, will only keep it bottled up longer.

kneelb4zerg
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I actually had that discussion with Homer recently. Jake is a very talented shooter that is in a slump - confidence is down, it is in his head. Watch him in practice and he will drain shot after shot after shot. Gets in a game, misses and doesn't shoot again. Homer said, "He needs a game with 9 shots."

I agreed - if he puts up nine, he'll hit 4-5 and his confidence will be back. Taking one shot per game, every game, will only keep it bottled up longer.

Buzz would never let him get 9 shots unless we are up 30 at half.

IWB
02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
I know, it won't happen, just saying that is what he needs to get him out of his slump.

Phantom Warrior
02-07-2013, 11:39 AM
So where are all those posters now who maintained - in some cases strenuously - that JT would see major minutes this year?

IWB
02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Jake was seeing major minutes until Mayo returned. Had Mayo not returned, he would still be in the rotation.

MUAlphaBangura
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
So where are all those posters now who maintained - in some cases strenuously - that JT would see major minutes this year?

Honestly don't remember anybody saying Jake would get MAJOR minutes, though I could be wrong. Most, including me thought that Jake would be a part of the rotation. TM's return has changed the rotation.

TheSultan
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Honestly don't remember anybody saying Jake would get MAJOR minutes, though I could be wrong. Most, including me thought that Jake would be a part of the rotation. TM's return has changed the rotation.

You weren't reading Scoop then....

Nukem2
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Jake was seeing major minutes until Mayo returned. Had Mayo not returned, he would still be in the rotation.

True, but his shot was not falling even while Mayo was out not to mention having difficulty keeping up on defense. Practical matter is that Jake is simply a wajk-on who is down low on the totem pole. He may well be one of Al McGuire's "3 O'Clock shooters" relative to high-major Div I BB....? I suspect that the high-major game is too fast for Jake...? Highly doubtful he is going to get extended minutes unless MU has major foul trouble in the back-court...?

dubs98
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't think I ever thought he would get major minutes, but I thought he would get decent minutes. I had not seen him play, however, based on numerous reports, he was a lights out shooter. I thought he might see the floor a fair amount if he could hold his own on D. He did fairly well on D and rebounded better then I thought. Unfortunately, his shot has not translated. Sounds like it is a confidence issue, but if he was able to knock down the three on as consistent of a basis as what many thought he could, I think he would still be playing some, even with Mayo back. Let's not kid ourselves, this is one of the worst outside shooting MU teams in a long time. As everyone knows, there is a reason that every team plays zone on us. We sorely could use a consistent outside threat. Unfortunately that has not worked out for Jake & the team.

DCwarrior
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Assuming Jake is able to graduate this Spring or Summer (no idea how close he is), do you think he even comes back to the team next year? He's been given a scholarship each of the past two years because of unexpected departures, but next year he seemingly would have to be a walk-on and pay his own tuition.

lougrant
02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
He'd also be in store for only Dylan Flood-like minutes next season.