PDA

View Full Version : If you think college basketball recruiting is crazy...

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Check this out...

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8916073

Not sure I could handle following all of this, reminds me of Mayo with the tattoo of another team, that being said add in all the other stuff and its quite the story... Too much recommitting in football.

MUMac
02-05-2013, 07:53 AM
I think football recruiting is ugly. Glad to see the pious Brett Bielema in the middle of the stench again.

TheSultan
02-05-2013, 08:32 AM
I think the reason you see so many decommits in college football is because signing day is actually after the season ends...in February. If you think about it, in basketball you have an early signing period in November which is during the season. Some wait until April, but most sign then.

In football, it is a month after the season ends. Which is good for the players in some respect...the get to see what happens after coaching changes. However it gives the recruiting process another month to churn.

IWB
02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
There are some big differences.

As Sultan points out, in football people commit and sign after their senior season is over. In basketball, the majority commit before they ever play their senior season.

In basketball, coaches can go and see these kids play throughout the year: AAU season, high school season, coaches can watch them play at anytime. In football, they play on Friday nights, and with colleges playing Saturday, coaches need to be with their team. A huge chunk of their recruiting is watching game films, so it is often that some teams don't even offer until they have seen their senior year game films.

It is a different deal altogether.