PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Louisville

Nukem2
02-03-2013, 03:05 PM
The Cardinals played well today at home. That's a tough combo to beat.

Markedman
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Talent difference is wide between us and teams like Florida and Louisville.....

They are better at virtually every position...bigger, stronger, faster......

Hope we can rebound on the road Weds...need some more road wins 1 isn't going to get it done.

kneelb4zerg
02-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Louisville is really good, better than us, but I don't know if I'd call the talent gap 'wide.' FWIW, I thought this game was lost by getting killed on the offensive glass. A lot of that is effort, not necessarily just talent.

IrwinFletcher
02-03-2013, 03:24 PM
When you play top teams, you see how you stack up....

We have played two Final Four quality teams on the road and not looked good.

Shows where we need to go and how tough it is to be a Top 5 team.

IrwinFletcher
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Hope we can rebound on the road Weds...need some more road wins 1 isn't going to get it done.

USF lost a heartbreaker on the road to UCONN. Up 12 at half and lost in overtime. They will be trying to rebound from a tough loss as well.

Markedman
02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
6 assists 17 turnovers....they rebounded over 50% of their misses and shot 52% for the game to our 36%.

Nobody on our team had more then 1 assist......http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330340097

MUfan12
02-03-2013, 10:29 PM
They looked clueless. Didn't defend dribble penetration. Didn't defend shooters. Didn't bother rebounding.

I know UL is good... but MU was awful today. At one point I was reminded of that video of Al at practice- "Can we be this bad, Hank? Is it possible to be this bad?"

mutpm
02-03-2013, 10:33 PM
6 assists 17 turnovers....they rebounded over 50% of their misses and shot 52% for the game to our 36%.

Nobody on our team had more then 1 assist......http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330340097

It's bad enough UL shot 52%, but what's worse is they missed their first 7. Over the last 34:23, UL shot 60%.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-04-2013, 06:36 AM
After the first 5 minutes, Louisville pretty much played their best and we played our worst (outside of Van and Lockett). It sucks and makes me hate Loserville all that much more, but it's still just one in the loss column. Beat the teams we can beat and win at home and we still have a good chance to finish ahead of them in the league.

MU_Iceman
02-04-2013, 08:26 AM
I hated this loss as much as anyone, but when you really look at it...what did it mean?? MU's RPI stayed exactly the same, they are still in 1st place(albeit now tied, although ND could beat Cuse tonight and put MU alone in first again), and will be after the next two at 8-2(and 10 overall games) as well. It actually raised their SOS. So in the grand scheme of things...it meant almost ZERO, or at least that's the way I'm going to look at it. :)

Markedman
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM
You are right Iceman it didn't really "hurt"(other then the actual watching of the game) but it was an opportunity lost. Whenever you play a top 10 type team on the road it is a chance to measure yourself.....we have now failed badly in both of those tests this year. A win would have basically locked up a tournament berth and could have springboarded us toward a high seed.

Losing isn't what bothered me it was the way we lost....again. It tells me that the gap between us and the top teams is large......I figured it was but hoped MU would prove me wrong.

I wouldn't chalk up that SF game in the win column just yet either. They almost beat UCONN at UCONN and we have always struggled to win down there.....even when we had better teams then we have this year.

mutpm
02-04-2013, 10:44 AM
The reason I can't take much positive from the game is that this has been the story of MU on the road this year. They got blown out at Florida, laid an egg at UWGB, were awful for 20 minutes at UC, and were terrible for 35 minutes yesterday. Yes, they did win at Pitt, but their best player got knocked out of the game. MU has proven nothing on the road this year. Hopefully ,that will change Wednesday night.

kneelb4zerg
02-04-2013, 10:48 AM
The reason I can't take much positive from the game is that this has been the story of MU on the road this year. They got blown out at Florida, laid an egg at UWGB, were awful for 20 minutes at UC, and were terrible for 35 minutes yesterday. Yes, they did win at Pitt, but their best player got knocked out of the game. MU has proven nothing on the road this year. Hopefully ,that will change Wednesday night.

Nonsense. Winning at Pitt was huge (Pitt is a top 10 caliber team even if they aren't ranked), and we almost won at Cincy. I don't care if they were missing a player here or there. Our PG got knocked out of the Pitt game too.

Played a bad game but we had bad road games last year too (ND and Cincy come to mind). Sometimes the stars just aren't aligned and the other team plays great.

I was with you on the bad road karma but the Pitt game changed the dynamic for me.

MU_Iceman
02-04-2013, 10:52 AM
You are right Iceman it didn't really "hurt"(other then the actual watching of the game) but it was an opportunity lost. Whenever you play a top 10 type team on the road it is a chance to measure yourself.....we have now failed badly in both of those tests this year. A win would have basically locked up a tournament berth and could have springboarded us toward a high seed.

Losing isn't what bothered me it was the way we lost....again. It tells me that the gap between us and the top teams is large......I figured it was but hoped MU would prove me wrong.

I wouldn't chalk up that SF game in the win column just yet either. They almost beat UCONN at UCONN and we have always struggled to win down there.....even when we had better teams then we have this year.

I agree it was a huge opportunity lost, but I think we will all forget about it, and see it as irrelevant if MU wins the regular season BE title, yes?? :)

Markedman
02-04-2013, 11:17 AM
If we win the regular season title I will buy you a beer of your choice......and yes this game will be a distant memory if that does occur.

mutpm
02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Either way, I go with history. MU has played 5 true road games and have lost 4. 2 were complete blowouts, 1 was to a terrible team, and the other was a 20 minute route.

MU_Iceman
02-04-2013, 11:22 AM
If we win the regular season title I will buy you a beer of your choice......and yes this game will be a distant memory if that does occur.

I don't drink! :)

kneelb4zerg
02-04-2013, 11:24 AM

As a fan of MU basketball, I don't know how that's even possible.:p

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-04-2013, 01:04 PM

I'll gladly drink it for you ;)

I do still believe we can win the Big East. As bad as yesterday was, it's still just 1 in the loss column. I see the rest of the season as two types of games:

Should win: @ USF, DePaul, Pitt, @ Seton Hall, ND, @ Rutgers
Could win: @ Georgetown, @ Villanova, Syracuse, @ St. John's

To win the league, we have to win all the "Should win" games. Pitt and ND look tough, but we should win at home. USF, SHU, and Rutgers are all on the road, but I feel confident we are the better team in all of those games. Win those games and we are at worst 12-6 in league play.

Then there are the "Could win" games. If we win 3 of them, I think we will win the league, or at least a share of it. I can't believe Syracuse won't lose at least one more with their short roster. If we win 2 of them we could still win at least a share though I doubt 14-4 would get it outright (probably a 3-4 way tie).

Win the games we should win, win at home, there's a good chance we still win the league. But as Buzz so often says, there's very little margin for error. Any losses in games we should win will probably do us in. That game at 'Nova (where UL and Syracuse both lost) could end up looming very large.

ziggysfryboy
02-04-2013, 01:33 PM

"Looks like I(you) picked the wrong season (week) to stop sniffing glue."

MU_Iceman
02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
As a fan of MU basketball, I don't know how that's even possible.:p

Oh believe, they drive me almost to that brink. To many seasons of individual games of frustration. I've thought about taking it up. :P

MU_Iceman
02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
I'll gladly drink it for you ;)

I do still believe we can win the Big East. As bad as yesterday was, it's still just 1 in the loss column. I see the rest of the season as two types of games:

Should win: @ USF, DePaul, Pitt, @ Seton Hall, ND, @ Rutgers
Could win: @ Georgetown, @ Villanova, Syracuse, @ St. John's

To win the league, we have to win all the "Should win" games. Pitt and ND look tough, but we should win at home. USF, SHU, and Rutgers are all on the road, but I feel confident we are the better team in all of those games. Win those games and we are at worst 12-6 in league play.

Then there are the "Could win" games. If we win 3 of them, I think we will win the league, or at least a share of it. I can't believe Syracuse won't lose at least one more with their short roster. If we win 2 of them we could still win at least a share though I doubt 14-4 would get it outright (probably a 3-4 way tie).

Win the games we should win, win at home, there's a good chance we still win the league. But as Buzz so often says, there's very little margin for error. Any losses in games we should win will probably do us in. That game at 'Nova (where UL and Syracuse both lost) could end up looming very large.

I agree with everything you say except for I would move the @SJU and @ Nova games to the "should win" column. Yes Nova beat Cuse and UL at home, but they also just lost to Providence yesterday at home. IOW, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile. I will be very disappointed if MU doesn't win there. Same for SJU. Yes, they beat ND at home, but they have owned ND at the garden for a long time now. MU should also win that one.

BTW, would not shock me at all if MU is alone in first alone again after tonight, ND could very well beat Cuse at Cuse. If that happens, MU will maintain their strangle hold on first at least thru Saturday with their next two upcoming and wouldn't surprise me to see them win at GT either. MU matches up well with them.

bleedbluegold03
02-04-2013, 09:33 PM
most bullish on Marquette moving forward:

1. MU_Iceman

2. brewcrew77

3. bleedbluegold03

the field...