PDA

View Full Version : MU now in first all alone!!!

MU_Iceman
02-02-2013, 01:00 PM
After Pitt's win today vs. Syracuse. I realize it may only be for a day that they are in first, but I don't recall a time this far into the season where MU has been alone atop the BE. It's neat to see. Now even if MU loses tomorrow, they will still be tied for first.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Marquette has a huge opportunity in front of them, this crazy season has given us a good chance to win a championship in the BE while it still counts... Hopefully the guys get fired up by that and play out of their minds tomorrow.

MUAlphaBangura
02-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Marquette has a huge opportunity in front of them, this crazy season has given us a good chance to win a championship in the BE while it still counts... Hopefully the guys get fired up by that and play out of their minds tomorrow.
Wasn't it the 2008 season they started 9-0?

lj854
02-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Wasn't it the 2008 season they started 9-0?

Yes - 2008/2009 - First loss was @ USF.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Exactly we started 9-0 and what does that mean now? Nothing... Winning a conference championship gives you something to remember and allows you to hang a banner, MU hasn't won a conference title since the final four year.

MU_Iceman
02-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow, my memory sucks...I had totally forgotten the 9-0 start. But yes, they do have a HUGE opportunity in front of them.

Phantom Warrior
02-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Had DJ not been injured against UConn early in the game, we may have won conference that year.

In terms of MU injuries over the years having a major impact on a season, that ranks in my mind as #1. Diener's injury his senior season ranks #2 because had he remained healthy, I think we make the NCAA again. McNeal's injury his sophomore year obviously hurt us as we would have probably had a higher seed and avoided playing in an 8 versus 9 game.

What strikes me is that Al's best teams and even Hank's teams seemed to somehow avoid major injuries to key players. Instead, the issue was top players leaving early - Chones, McNeil, Lucas. I still fantasize about what the '72, '73, and '74 teams could have done. It just seems to me that the program has been snake-bitten ever since Diener's senior season.