PDA

View Full Version : OT Lacrosse update at half ~ Mich 6 Marq 3

ge1974
02-02-2013, 01:00 PM
First exhibition game of the season. Just back from Ann Arbor. Kyle Whitlow had MU,s first four goals. Tyler Melnyck also had a goal as did #29. SRO at Oosterbaan Fieldhouse on Michigan's campus in Ann Arbor.

Michigan's goalie was sensational, MUs was OK to good. The MU defense needs to get better. Score should have been closer but MU hit the pipe/crossbar at least 6 times and the Michigan goalie made several point blank saves.

MU is playing Division III Denison at the moment but I did not stick around.

The Reptile
02-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm hoping to catch them at High Point later in the season. I'm sure by then they'll be more in sync. Still, getting out and playing against some real competition has to be a good feeling for a team that is two years in the making.

dubs98
02-02-2013, 06:10 PM
bummed i didn't make it. was hoping to bring my two girls, but they ended up having a church event that they did not want to miss. glad to hear it sounded like fun

ge1974
02-02-2013, 06:39 PM
FYI - They beat Denison 5-3 in the second exhibition game.

Dubs, we'll catch-up with you down the road.

Lacrosse is a great game. I admit I don't yet understand every rule but I'm learning. Being at field level, its faster and rougher than I imagined after watching many games on TV. I hope Milwaukee area MU alumni and students will make an effort to go out and see the team play. Show them we support them!

CaribouJim
02-02-2013, 07:24 PM
FYI - They beat Denison 5-3 in the second exhibition game.

Dubs, we'll catch-up with you down the road.

Lacrosse is a great game. I admit I don't yet understand every rule but I'm learning. Being at field level, its faster and rougher than I imagined after watching many games on TV. I hope Milwaukee area MU alumni and students will make an effort to go out and see the team play. Show them we support them!

I grew up in upstate NY and lacrosse was/is huge there. I went to the Catholic high school in our town, but the public school was one of the best lacrosse schools in the country at the time and is still a power - kids going to Navy, John Hopkins and the other Mid-Atlantic powers. On my street you would just as likely see two guys playing lacrosse catch as you would guys playing catch with a baseball. The high school was a mile or so as the crow flies and you could hear the crowd roar from my house - much more so than a football game there.

My freshman year at MU in the fall of '76 there was a guy who grew up about 45 minutes from me and ended up being a roommate who played lacrosse in high school and we'd play catch outside of McCormick along Wisconsin Ave. - he'd have his stick and I had my baseball glove - people in traffic would look at us like aliens and guys in the dorm would ask him what his stick was for.

It has come a long way - it is an "it" game now with the young kids. I try to take in at least a part of their Final Four on TV each Memorial Day weekend.