PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Current Big East Power Ranking

Goose85
02-01-2013, 02:15 PM
From ESPN

Conference Power Rankings: Big East
February, 1, 2013 Feb 18:30AM ETBy Dana O'Neil

To death and taxes, I add Marquette. The Golden Eagles are the one thing you can count on annually. A year after losing the Big East’s player of the year and league’s leading scorer (and they were two different people) Buzz Williams’ team is back again, tied atop the leaderboard with Syracuse. Despite seven consecutive trips to the NCAA tournament, Marquette still somehow manages to sneak up on people.

Maybe we ought to start paying closer attention.

1. Syracuse. ....

2. Marquette. The Golden Eagles have won eight of nine to quietly slide into a first-place tie with Syracuse atop the standings. For those thinking Williams needs a steady scorer, Vander Blue might be the guy -- he had 30 against South Florida. But there’s a big test for both Blue and Marquette this weekend, at Louisville.

3. Louisville. The Cardinals ended their losing streak by beating Pittsburgh despite playing without Wayne Blackshear (shoulder injury) and Kevin Ware (suspension). Here’s the catch: Louisville is averaging just 61.8 points over its past four games. As good as the Cards’ defense is, their offense has to make life a little more bearable.

Goose85
02-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Anyone know the status of Blackshear? Will he be playing on Sunday?

Found the answer to my own question.

Pitino said that Blackshear shot at practice for the first time on Thursday, and that he will likely play against Marquette on Sunday.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/1/31/3939372/rick-pitino-gives-update-on-wayne-blackshear-kevin-ware

IrwinFletcher
02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I get the feeling this game on Sunday will not be one for the women and children to watch. It is going to be an ugly defensive game and would doubt either team makes it out of the 50's.

Both teams struggle at times offensively and both will get after you on defense. Should be an interesting matchup of coaches.

Markedman
02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Blackshear is playing but might be limited in minutes. Ware might play too.