PDA

View Full Version : Did Wade double dribble?

MU Viking
02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Interesting debate between me and a couple friends today. I can't believe I never noticed this before. I won't reveal where I stand until I get some conversation going here.

Did Dwyane Wade double dribble on this play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OlymqXcruCU

Watch the replay for a better angle.

FWIW, this is probably one of the top 5 euphoric sports moments for me in my lifetime, as it was the moment at which I knew we were going to the Final Four. The others I would put there would be 1) McGee grounding out to Gaetti (over to Hrbek) for the 1987 Twins WS title, 2) Gene Larkin putting one over the OF's head and Dan Gladden stomping on the plate for the 1991 Twins WS title, 3) Puckett parking one off Liebrandt (AND WE'LL SEE YOU TOMORROW NIGHT!) in Game 6 in 1991, and I'll say 5 would be Novak hitting the buzzer shot against Notre Dame, because it was the best sports moment I've experienced in person.

Obviously, I'm not old enough to remember 1977 and given my moniker, I've never had a great Super Bowl experience. :rolleyes:

kneelb4zerg
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm no expert on the rules, but how is catching the ball with both hands, taking one dribble and then jumping double dribble? I think you are saying that it's a double dribble because he pushed the dribble down with both hands, but you see guys do that all the time. Isn't double dribble when you do that twice?

farmerdoc
02-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Kneel,
I think you have it right. A single bounce with both hands is ok, but a second bounce must be with one hand only.

MU Viking
02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I think you are right. One friend said the act of dribbling with two hands is a double dribble in itself, but I think as long as it is one dribble, you are fine.

I know that as a budding post player back in the day, they'd always tell me not to power dribble with two hands, but you'd see it in the NBA all the time. I'm guessing I was taught that because you couldn't dribble that way more than once.

Crisco can probably confirm the rule here.

MUMac
02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
No, it is not a double dribble. It was the first move and both hands on the ball is permissible. If it were the 2nd dribble, yes. Clean play, no problem there.

EDIT: The rule allows for either throwing or tapping the ball in the air and once it hits the ground, it becomes a dribble.

TheSultan
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Nope. Not a double.

BTW, the scream that I let out when that And 1 went through probably woke the dead...

Oh and by the way the only moment that remotely comes close to the "instant euphoria" to that moment was probably Raji's INT in the NFC Championship game a couple years ago. I mean, that whole Super Bowl run was incredible but that was probably the linchpin moment.

MUMac
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Nope. Not a double.

BTW, the scream that I let out when that And 1 went through probably woke the dead...

I think I still have alcohol in my blood from the post game parties at the hotel in Minneapolis!

MUBB713
02-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Unbelievable moment. Just watched the video 5 times. Raftery is great in that clip. It finally started to sink in at that moment that MU was going to the final four for the first time in my life.

Also, many of you guys have touched on it already, but I believe that dribble is called like the "power" dribble or something like that and you see it more often with post moves than in a situation like that. I think it also has to be your first and only dribble, which it was in Wade's case.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
goosebumps...brings back so many good memories

MU Viking
02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
You have to love Joe Chapman's reaction on the bench. :cool:

WCGE is right-- the whole thing still gives me goosebumps.

ziggysfryboy
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I've never seen a bar run out of Miller Lite, Jagermeister and have the ATM run out of cash at the same time, as it did that night.

CaribouJim
02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I think I still have alcohol in my blood from the post game parties at the hotel in Minneapolis!

Everyone was in that ballroom type of room watching the 'Zona/KU game right? Sure wish 'Zona won - MU couldn't have been any worse. I do remember Wade and his then wife in a corner kind of by themselves soaking it all in. Some were telling DWade to stay another year and his wife kind of said something almost under her breath that told you that there wasn't a chance that he was going to stay another year.

CaribouJim
02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Everyone was in that ballroom type of room watching the 'Zona/KU game right? Sure wish 'Zona won - MU couldn't have been any worse. I do remember Wade and his then wife in a corner kind of by themselves soaking it all in. Some were telling DWade to stay another year and his wife kind of said something almost under her breath that told you that there wasn't a chance that he was going to stay another year.

...and I loved Raf's Connie Hawkins reference - my all-time favorite b-ball player - don't think I ever remembered him saying that and I've seen and heard that tape a bunch.