PDA

View Full Version : MU + Louisville = Whiteout

IWB
01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
For their big game against Marquette on Sunday, Louisville will be having a "Whiteout".

Not just the fans, but special uniforms, shoes etc, and I am sure Pitino will be dressed like Mr. Rourke from Fantasy Island.

When MU tries to do a "gold-out" etc, it is always about 50% in attendance. Never looks great to me. Please look at the crowd on Sunday and tell me why MU can't support these efforts?

To take it a step further, Louisville has made and sells reversible "White-out/Red-out" t-shirts that were inspired by Muhammad Ali. Buy one t-shirt, wear it to either a whiteout or red-out.

TheSultan
01-31-2013, 09:58 AM
So does MU show up in baby blues...or even gold? Or are they going to low-key it with their dark blues...

MU Viking
01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Hopefully, the fans are waving white flags at the end of the game...

IWB
01-31-2013, 11:23 AM
So does MU show up in baby blues...or even gold? Or are they going to low-key it with their dark blues...

Low key ;)

Markedman
01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Nice of them to make a Wade jersey in all white......

Personally I consider this whole "whiteout" thing to be racist!! :D

MUBasketball
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice of them to make a Wade jersey in all white......

Personally I consider this whole "whiteout" thing to be racist!! :D

HAHA!

Badger fans probably don't know what the big deal is, they do a white out every game! Rimshot?

bleedbluegold03
01-31-2013, 12:42 PM
or they just give the entire lower bowl white shirts...

IWB
01-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Not always that easy - at home, Bradley Center seats 7,783 in the lower bowl. You are looking at about $4 per shirt. That is over $31k that needs to be donated for a promotion. Now, if you know someone that wants to donate the $31k, I would happily provide the shirts at a huge discount. Just give me a call! :)

IWB
01-31-2013, 02:06 PM
While looking at the number I found a Don Walker article from a year ago that breaks it down. Shows some flaws in the Bradley Center.....

The lower bowl seats 7,783. The industry average is 9,929. That is 2,100 fewer. In the Bradley Center they put more seats in the upper deck than lower, why?

Here is another part referring to suites and club seats that I thought was interesting.....

When it opened in 1987, the Bradley Center had 68 suites. The Bradley Center now has 47 suites. The others were combined to create a variety of clubs or other features. The industry average in a typical arena is 92 suites.

Club seats also are an amenity in most arenas. Club seats are loosely defined as a higher-priced seat but not as expensive as a seat in a suite. In many cases, a club-seat holder has access to food and beverage options and has a more comfortable seat to watch athletic events and concerts.

The average NBA arena has 2,200 club seats. The Bradley Center has none.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Interesting tid-bits about the Bradley Center and clearly a need for a renovation or rebuild.

You guys have a greater pulse on the prospects of the Bradley Center than I do here in Chicago---any discussions about a new arena? If so how would MU be involved?

Goose85
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
While looking at the number I found a Don Walker article from a year ago that breaks it down. Shows some flaws in the Bradley Center.....

The lower bowl seats 7,783. The industry average is 9,929. That is 2,100 fewer. In the Bradley Center they put more seats in the upper deck than lower, why?

Here is another part referring to suites and club seats that I thought was interesting.....

When it opened in 1987, the Bradley Center had 68 suites. The Bradley Center now has 47 suites. The others were combined to create a variety of clubs or other features. The industry average in a typical arena is 92 suites.

Club seats also are an amenity in most arenas. Club seats are loosely defined as a higher-priced seat but not as expensive as a seat in a suite. In many cases, a club-seat holder has access to food and beverage options and has a more comfortable seat to watch athletic events and concerts.

The average NBA arena has 2,200 club seats. The Bradley Center has none.

Wow. That is very telling.

mufansince72
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't think there is the demand, or the interest in suites and additional club seating in Milwaukee.

IWB
01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
I don't either '72, I really don't.

I also don't think they need an entirely new facility either. I think a major overhaul of the lower bowl would be a great start. Also, they mention the need for restaurants and a pro-shop for access at all times - yet there are two 'plaza' type areas with plenty of space where you could develop those amenities. The place is one of the classic "cement dinosaurs", there is no question about that, but a major renovation would be a fraction of what a new facility would be. Want more space for stores/restaurants/amenities? How about you pay MATC to move the 4th street facility? That is a prime location right next door, and could really be relocated anywhere.

The space is right there, they don't need 'all new', they just need a massive facelift. ie: Lambeau Field, Notre Dame Stadium.

Goose85
01-31-2013, 03:25 PM
I agree on the facelift, if structurally and financially it makes sense.
Keep in mind, the Lambeau facelift cost as much as a new stadium would cost.

MUAlphaBangura
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
I don't either '72, I really don't.

I also don't think they need an entirely new facility either. I think a major overhaul of the lower bowl would be a great start. Also, they mention the need for restaurants and a pro-shop for access at all times - yet there are two 'plaza' type areas with plenty of space where you could develop those amenities. The place is one of the classic "cement dinosaurs", there is no question about that, but a major renovation would be a fraction of what a new facility would be. Want more space for stores/restaurants/amenities? How about you pay MATC to move the 4th street facility? That is a prime location right next door, and could really be relocated anywhere.

The space is right there, they don't need 'all new', they just need a massive facelift. ie: Lambeau Field, Notre Dame Stadium.

Always thought thtey could blow out the windows on the north end and make a "2nd story" build out over the north parking lot for restaurants, shops etc. Could definitely push that all the way to the MATC building on the corner of 4th and Juneau. That way it could be a year-round destination and certainly added revenue.

IWB
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Ok, let me point it out here. They say they need a new building because they need all access restaurants and a pro-shop. 442

Space #1: The West side of the Bradley Center..... This is a large empty plaza that is basically used for nothing. One year for the NCAA tournament they put the media tent there, other than that, pretty much unused. This space could house a huge restaurant.

Space #2: Restaurant and or fully functional pro shop, North East side of the Bradley Center medium size plaza. They put limited number of handicap on a small parcel of this, otherwise, almost completely unused unless a radio station puts their van there during a concert.

Space #3: Restaurants (s-plural) and whatever else you can think of would fit in this area. The building and its lot take up a ton of space and you could build a small bar scene here.

Goose85
01-31-2013, 03:34 PM
On your space #2. Knock out that wall of the Bradley Center and build something there. The parking lot could be underground. Building could also be seperate with access to the Bradley Center.

An even bigger question is do they need the Arena? Put up a complex with hotel / shops / resturant /etc there and link it to both the convention center and the Bradley Center.

IWB
01-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Here is the thing about the arena vs the Bradley Center.....

They need both, but they are killing each other as they are controlled by different groups. The BC is too big for some events, the Arena is too small for the others.

Disney on ice will call the Bradley Center - We want to be there for 6 days, what will you give us? Ok, hold on.....Then they call the arena....then the BC.....by the time they get done, the facility is getting 75% less than what a facility in Minneapolis or Des Moines will get.

The Circus will call - We want the facility for 10 days, what will you give us? Ok, hold on.....Then they call the arena....then the BC.....by the time they get done, the facility is getting 75% less than what a facility in Minneapolis or Des Moines will get.

These two groups kill each other over every concert, every show etc etc.

If they were to work together, a show would call and they would say, "How many spectators do you expect? 10,000? We will put you in the Arena for X. 16,000? We will put you in the BC for Y. These two need to stop gutting each others' profits.

MayorBeluga
01-31-2013, 03:50 PM
The BC also suffers from limited dining options nearby. Milwaukee desperately needs more of an entertainment district surrounding the arena. Too man of the places near the BC are full for the 2 hours before and after a game, but empty the rest of the year. The new KC arena in the Power & Light district or the NHL arena in Columbus are great models. Heck, Hizzoner is typing this from Phoenix. There are tons or bars and restaurants near the arena and baseball stadium which creates a buzz.

IWB
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
The bar area around the stadium in Phoenix is pretty good.

unclejohn
01-31-2013, 04:23 PM
At 8000 shirts, you ought to be able to get them well below $4 a shirt. Still a substantial amount, but not impossible. Of course, it is cheaper when you do it in white. But Marquette has handed out lots of t-shirts over the years.

I recall when Marquette played at UWM, they had a black out, sponsored by a Marquette grad, no less. Of course, he did not have to buy 8000 shirts. The unfortunate thing, or perhaps funny thing, is that they had to use black, because they couldn't use their other color, yellow, which would have made them look like Marquette fans, who filled half the stadium anyway. The problem is that using black effectively made their fans invisible. They probably should have gone with white.

IWB
01-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, you can always do it cheaper, but when Marquette does giveaways, they don't exactly pass out the cheapest of the cheap - I still have a lot of the old giveaway t-shirts because they are high quality and not the cheapies

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-31-2013, 10:48 PM
I agree with what the mayor said, I love the power and lights district in KC, I said that exact same thing when I was there last year. I kept thinking how cool it would be if we could do that in Milwaukee, we have the space, unfortunately I don't think we have the leadership or vision to do it though.

Litehouse
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
The Power & Light in KC is nice, but I don't think there's any point of doing something like that in Milwaukee. We already have several other bar/restaurant areas. Plus, I like the bar set-up around the BC better anyway, it's much more authentic with old buildings, and not as contrived.

Goose85
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
The Power & Light in KC is nice, but I don't think there's any point of doing something like that in Milwaukee. We already have several other bar/restaurant areas. Plus, I like the bar set-up around the BC better anyway, it's much more authentic with old buildings, and not as contrived.

I think the point is trying to make it an area to come year round. Knew the owner of Buck Bradley's real well. One year toward the end of the season he bought me one and reminded me that they are open year round, not just during basketball season.

GOMU1104
02-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Tweet from Georgetown's SID. They're doing a grey-out today. Tshirts are provided.

https://twitter.com/mexcarey/status/297780513152856064

MayorBeluga
02-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Questions on the white-out.

1. Is it racist?
2. Is it a a fashion no-no since it's after Labor Day?
3. Isn't it wrong for Slick Dick to wear white after the Porcini's "incident"?

MUMac
02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Questions on the white-out.

1. Is it racist?
2. Is it a a fashion no-no since it's after Labor Day?
3. Isn't it wrong for Slick Dick to wear white after the Porcini's "incident"?

I think Slick Dick should complete the Cornell Sanders look and frost his hair.