PDA

View Full Version : Not to beat a dead horse, but I found this interesting

MUMac
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Penn State's AD was commenting on the divisions and expansion in the Big 10. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-ten-could-reshuffle-expansion-212140512--ncaaf.html This comment, in particular, stood out to me:

'''I have a feeling it will be more geography-based,'' Joyner said. ''There seems to be a lot of sentiment for that.''

It would be especially helpful, Joyner said, to ease travel issues and funding for travel, especially for Olympic sports."

Penn State's furthest travel is to Minnesota (972 miles by car). He is concerned about travel and expenses associated with it. That, to me, is why the discussions of Gonzaga never made any sense.

Goose85
01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
In the further expansion talk, Virginia would be a fit for an east coast pod with Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Gotta imagine things are quiet until the Maryland buyout gets through court... If Maryland wins and doesn't have to pay it could be a mad rush to the exits.

MU_Iceman
01-30-2013, 08:24 PM
I find it funny that all of this realignment has happened because of money, everyone wants more because of greed. So now that everyone's pockets are being lined a lot more than they were before, NOW... NOW they all act like they care about geography and expenses associated with travel?? Yet none of that mattered when these conferences took the schools they did that in a lot of cases don't fit geographically at all?? If travel and the expenses associated with it was that damn important, why did any of these conferences realign at all?? Especially with schools that don't fit geographically. Oh the irony.

IWB
01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Absolutely Iceman!

"We've got the biggest TV contract, the biggest bowl contracts, but OH, THE EXPENSES!?!?!?"

Try living a day in C-USA's shoes. WAAAAAYYY smaller TV contract, WAAAAYYYY smaller bowl payouts and WAAAAYYYYY more travel.

Goose85
01-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Absolutely Iceman!

"We've got the biggest TV contract, the biggest bowl contracts, but OH, THE EXPENSES!?!?!?"

Try living a day in C-USA's shoes. WAAAAAYYY smaller TV contract, WAAAAYYYY smaller bowl payouts and WAAAAYYYYY more travel.

I like what the new Badger football coach said about the Rose Bowl. Where he came from, Utah State, they had a number of busses for their travel down to Vegas (I think) for their bowl game. Wisconsin was paying for over 750 people to go to the Rose Bowl. Big difference. Reminds me of Patrick Ewing who said something to the effect of "We make more money, but we spend more money."

I think Maryland wins, but time is ticking on the other schools.

Not sure if it is true, but in their countersuit against the ACC, I think Maryland said ACC bylaws say any new rule doesn't go into effect for one year, and the one year time period on the three years league revenue buyout (close to $52 mil) is July 1. They are also saying there were some ACC league rules that were not followed in the manner in which the new league buyout was voted for an approved.