PDA

View Full Version : UW

Phantom Warrior
01-29-2013, 07:55 PM
0 of 0 from the free throw line tonight. Not a single free throw attempt!

They shot more threes (28) than twos (24).

Nukem2
01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
And, the front court is gone for next year. 13-14 could be a long season for Bucky...?

DCwarrior
01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Their backcourt should be much better next year w/ Koenig joining and Gasser coming back. Dekker should be much improved, but they definitely need some of their incoming Freshmen front court players to contribute. Bottom line is they'll still be good next year and will make the tournament.

IWB
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't know that I have ever seen a college game where a team had 0 free throw attempts. Maybe I have, but that is just strange.

mufansince72
01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
I don't know that I have ever seen a college game where a team had 0 free throw attempts. Maybe I have, but that is just strange.

Only took Mississippi six minutes to get in the bonus tonight in the first half against KY.

TheSultan
01-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Shooting more 3s than 2s isn't all that uncommon for Wisconsin.

Goose85
01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
When a team shoots a lot of 3's I'd think that would translate to scoring, but Wisconsin has scored 47 -45 - 49 points in the last three games.

If you shoot that many from the outside you will not shoot many free throws, but shooting zero free throws makes it tough to win.

GOMU1104
01-30-2013, 09:08 AM
And, the front court is gone for next year. 13-14 could be a long season for Bucky...?

This is said seemingly every year. Their guys will improve. Their backcourt will be better. UW will finish Top 4 in the Big 10 and go to the NCAAs.

TheSultan
01-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Last year, UW *as a team* took 41% of their FGAs from 3. Marquette had one *player* that took more than that percentage. (DJO) Marquette as a team only took 29.3%.

My all time favorite stat is that Tim Jarmusz, UW's starting "3," took 105 shots in 2010-11...and *89* of them were three pointers. Seriously, almost 85% of his shots were three point attempts.

MUMac
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
This is said seemingly every year. Their guys will improve. Their backcourt will be better. UW will finish Top 4 in the Big 10 and go to the NCAAs.

I don't know that it is said seemingly every year, as UW always had a stockpile of frontcourt talent to replace those that are leaving. They lose Bruiser, Berggren and Evans, those guys have played the lions share of minutes this year. Kaminsky is a spot player right now and could develop. Evan Anderson is a big step down and has only played in 8 games this year. Decker is the only forward of consequence returning.

I don't know enough about their two forwards they signed, but as seen with Decker, Bo does not have a great deal of playing time for Freshman.

UW will have backcourt depth and talent, but the frontcourt is going to be much weaker next year.

GOMU1104
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
All of that is fine to say now...but I bet Kaminski and Anderson improve. Their backcourt will be better. It is a guard's game after all.

Until they actually have a down year. I'm just going to pencil them in for a Top 4 finish.

TheSultan
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Anderson won't improve. He's a stiff - not quite as bad as JP Gavinski, but I don't think he's very good.

MUMac
01-30-2013, 12:45 PM
All of that is fine to say now...but I bet Kaminski and Anderson improve. Their backcourt will be better. It is a guard's game after all.

Until they actually have a down year. I'm just going to pencil them in for a Top 4 finish.

Anderson may improve, but he will not be a factor. I have been to one of those 8 games he played. I can make my statement with confidence based on knowledge. I have no doubt Kaminsky will improve, but for the 4 & 5, he is it.

You are basing your judgment on years when a Nankivil or a Berggren had experience and could step right in. Not the case next year.

GOMU1104
01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Anderson may improve, but he will not be a factor. I have been to one of those 8 games he played. I can make my statement with confidence based on knowledge. I have no doubt Kaminsky will improve, but for the 4 & 5, he is it.

You are basing your judgment on years when a Nankivil or a Berggren had experience and could step right in. Not the case next year.

That's fine. Lets chat when they don't make the tournament.

MUMac
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
That's fine. Lets chat when they don't make the tournament.

Where did I ever say anything about that? Nice straw man.

GOMU1104
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Where did I ever say anything about that? Nice straw man.

My premise this entire thread was that they will continue to be in the Top 4 and make the NCAAs despite losing some players...as that is what happens every year.

Goose85
01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
That is one reason why Bo was so ticked at Uthoff. Uthoff was the type of guy that has kept the Badgers near the top of the Big 10 since Bo has been there.

A big guy that redshirted and developed, who would have played a meaningful role off the bench this year, and then stepped in next year to replace the departing seniors - boom, the Badgers don't miss a beat.

The Badgers will still have Kaminsky, but will probably need to play Dekker at the "4" spot and will have less front court depth than plan.

Bo, like Buzz and most coaches who don't have the high level one and done players, don't count heavily on frosh to come in and play 30 minutes. If Dekker is only getting 20 min a game, I can't see any incoming frosh getting more than 10 a game next year.

TheSultan
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
There were some rumblings that Duje Dukan was going to make some strides and be a contributor next year, but he had to redshirt this year due to coming down with mono. So he might be seeing minutes on the front line next year.

So this is what their options are...Anderson, Dukan...or Dekker playing up to the "4," which won't really go well for him.

milkbone
01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
I think Bo will have to play the 2 big freshmen. If dukan or Anderson play many minutes, Bucky is in big trouble.

MUMac
01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
There were some rumblings that Duje Dukan was going to make some strides and be a contributor next year, but he had to redshirt this year due to coming down with mono. So he might be seeing minutes on the front line next year.

So this is what their options are...Anderson, Dukan...or Dekker playing up to the "4," which won't really go well for him.

I had heard differing opinions on Dukan than you have heard.

TheSultan
01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Well, it's 2-1 against what I have heard....so maybe they are simply screwed. :o

Markedman
01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm sure UW will make the tourny this year but top 4 seems unlikely with Michigan, IU, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Minnesota all being better. Might finish ahead of one of them but doubtful they will finish ahead of 2.

Bo will have to play 3 guards next year. Gasser, Brust, Jackson/Koenig, Decker and Kaminsky.

Front court depth will be an issue. Anderson is not good. Maybe one of the freshmen power forwards(Brown/Hayes) can contribute early?

My premise this entire thread was that they will continue to be in the Top 4 and make the NCAAs despite losing some players...as that is what happens every year.