PDA

View Full Version : Vander

dubs98
01-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Wow, has he really come into his own this year. His shot is obviously improved and although I am still not still always confident in his shot, he sure has gotten more comfortable with it.

The thing that I am much more impressed with however is the development of his ability to attack the rim. He has always had the athletic ability but before this year it always amazed me that a fella with so much athleticism seemed to struggle so much with his body control with the ball and/or once in the air. His ability to glide around defenders, not through them as well as his ability to finish with either hand is light years ahead of where he was last year. I can't count how many times tonight that he took it to the hoop that would have ended in a charge or throwing it hard off the backboard if done last year. This is a true credit to his hard work and Buzz's work with him (If I remember correctly I think Buzz in particular worked on this skill with him and I believe Junior this summer). My hat is off to him.

6-1 in the big east....didn't think i would be saying that a month or so ago.

IWB
01-28-2013, 10:24 PM
MU wins it 63-50, Vander Blue with 30

<colgroup><col span="3"><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
Scoring

In Paint
Off T/O
2nd Chance
Fast Break
Bench

USF

MU

</tbody>

Van said it felt great. When it comes to being in first place, "It's great and all, but we have played the fewest games in the Big East and we've also had the fewest road games. we got a favorable draw with the schedule this year. Now we have 4 games in 8 days, 3 of those will be on the road, so it will be tough. we like to play on the road, I love playing on the road. The Big East is a long tough road, but we are up to the challenge."

On Davante's play. Said, "I didn't really see it, but I was right there. I thought it was a flop, but it must not have been. It should have been a flagrant 1, but flagrant 1 or 2, I don't know that works."

MUAlphaBangura
01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Best play by Vander tonight came at the14 min. mark. Out on the break, Vander pulls up and hits the 10 footer. Shows how much his game has matured. Instead of taking it 1 on 2 and leaving his feet, he took a shot that was not defendable. It's really starting to come together for Van. People told me I was crazy saying this might be Vander's last season at MU, but if he continues to progress like this, you have to think he at least explores his NBA options.

Halo
01-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Best play by Vander tonight came at the14 min. mark. Out on the break, Vander pulls up and hits the 10 footer. Shows how much his game has matured. Instead of taking it 1 on 2 and leaving his feet, he took a shot that was not defendable. It's really starting to come together for Van. People told me I was crazy saying this might be Vander's last season at MU, but if he continues to progress like this, you have to think he at least explores his NBA options.

Amazing game by him. I agree with the pullup being a sign of him understanding the game better. He looked a lot like Jerel McNeal tonight. And if he continues to progress like this, he won't be exploring, he will be gone to the NBA. Great to see the kid's development right before us almost every game.

MU Viking
01-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Totally agree in the pull-up jumper. That is a play he never would have made last year. For as sporadic and maddening as Van was last year, he has been that solid and superb this yer. Big props to Van for putting in the work and to Coach also.

MUMac
01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Totally agree in the pull-up jumper. That is a play he never would have made last year. For as sporadic and maddening as Van was last year, he has been that solid and superb this yer. Big props to Van for putting in the work and to Coach also.

That is why I defended him so much last year. He needed last years struggles on offense to get better. We saw the same thing with McNeal a few years earlier. Too many people gave up on Vander far too quickly (not directed at you, Vike).

MU Viking
01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
No offense taken. I never gave up on Vander. I see some similarities with Jerel, but I think Vander was way more frustrating than McNeal ever was in the first couple years. The level of turnaround he has made is frankly pretty amazing. Major kudos on the work it takes to get to that point.

I will say that I don't think he's quite ready for the league, but if he improves a few things this summer, I think he's our next pro.

TheSultan
01-29-2013, 09:12 AM
The other thing I like about Vander, is his demeanor on the court. He plays so calm now. Doesn't get too up...or too down.

MU Viking
01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
The other thing I like about Vander, is his demeanor on the court. He plays so calm now. Doesn't get too up...or too down.

Absolutely. He's much more calm now than before. It's like a different player out there.

Buzz's postgame with Homer and Mac was very interesting last night. He was talking about how fans get down on guys but then when the time is right, certain guys step up and then suddenly fans love them. He mentioned Jimmy and Jae as examples of players who stepped forward as they matured and when the time was right. It was real, honest stuff. Hope we can keep Buzz here a long, long time.

MUfan12
01-29-2013, 09:32 AM
His left hand has improved dramatically, which I think has helped keep his shot from being blocked as often. Guys have to play him straight up now, which makes it easier to go to his right. Credit to Van, he's really made himself better.

MUMac
01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
No offense taken. I never gave up on Vander. I see some similarities with Jerel, but I think Vander was way more frustrating than McNeal ever was in the first couple years. The level of turnaround he has made is frankly pretty amazing. Major kudos on the work it takes to get to that point.

I will say that I don't think he's quite ready for the league, but if he improves a few things this summer, I think he's our next pro.

I think Vander was a year behind McNeal's development. I chalk that up to his young age and body development.

BLT
01-29-2013, 12:45 PM
His left hand has improved dramatically, which I think has helped keep his shot from being blocked as often. Guys have to play him straight up now, which makes it easier to go to his right. Credit to Van, he's really made himself better.

+1. If he can continue his aggressive guard play and handle improvement, a 6'4" active guard (hesitant to say point guard) in the NBA who pushes the action would be highly valued. I still think, because of his young age and big jump in progression this year, that he needs another year to round out his game. But, you could tell in the ProAm he has the most talent on the floor...raw talent yes, but developing by the game.

mufansince72
01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Vander could be a very intriguing NBA prospect with another year in college. Great first step, plays good defense, starting to get confidence in his shot, gets to the rim at will, still needs to finish better on a consistent basis.

Goose85
01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
He could really be a Big East first team and have a shot at some all america lists if his development continues and he steps up even more next year.

IWB
01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Someone brought it up above and it is a bigger deal than it sounds, but he is about a full year younger than others in his class