PDA

View Full Version : Marquette at #25 in new coaches poll.

IWB
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Marquette checks in at #25 in new coaches poll

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Isn't the AP poll the one that matters? I'm pretty sure when they reference a teams ranking in the media it is based off the AP poll right?

IWB
01-28-2013, 12:30 PM
MU checks in at #25 in new AP Poll.

MU_Iceman
01-28-2013, 12:34 PM
The AP poll is the only one I pay attention to. To me that is the "real" poll. At least writers etc see the teams play, rather than some intern voting for the teams like so often happens in the Coaches poll.

I haven't seen the AP poll yet, but if MU is only #25, after the top #25 got absolutely beat up this week, then there's something wrong with that poll this week as well. Should be about #21-#22 IMO.

IWB
01-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Here are both polls updated..... (http://www.brewcityball.com/MU_rankings.php)

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-28-2013, 12:52 PM
I disagree Iceman, I think you could make a case for any of the teams ranked above MU in those polls to be there. Yes there was a lot of losses this week but a lot of them happened at the top, while Louisville has dropped a few they aren't going to drop all the way out. I'm perfectly okay with where we are ranked, beating Providence isn't really a statement.

MUMac
01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I disagree Iceman, I think you could make a case for any of the teams ranked above MU in those polls to be there. Yes there was a lot of losses this week but a lot of them happened at the top, while Louisville has dropped a few they aren't going to drop all the way out. I'm perfectly okay with where we are ranked, beating Providence isn't really a statement.

I don't care where MU is ranked, as long as it is in the Top 25. My only reason for that is to make the papers and ESPN after each game. Other than that, it does not have a great deal of meaning.

GOMU1104
01-28-2013, 01:17 PM
The AP poll is the only one I pay attention to. To me that is the "real" poll. At least writers etc see the teams play, rather than some intern voting for the teams like so often happens in the Coaches poll.

I haven't seen the AP poll yet, but if MU is only #25, after the top #25 got absolutely beat up this week, then there's something wrong with that poll this week as well. Should be about #21-#22 IMO.

Ever read Poll Attacks? There are some clueless writers/voters out there.

Both polls are relatively useless. The only thing they are good for is the fact that Top 25 teams will always have their highlights on SportsCenter and their scores will always show up in newspapers/on the wire.

Goose85
01-28-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't care where MU is ranked, as long as it is in the Top 25. My only reason for that is to make the papers and ESPN after each game. Other than that, it does not have a great deal of meaning.

Just being ranked does mean a lot from an exposure standpoint. Just go to espn.com and look at college basketball. At the top are the three games tonight being played by top 25 teams. So tonight it isn't MU v. USF, it is #25 ranked MU v. USF.

MUMac
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Just being ranked does mean a lot from an exposure standpoint. Just go to espn.com and look at college basketball. At the top are the three games tonight being played by top 25 teams. So tonight it isn't MU v. USF, it is #25 ranked MU v. USF.

That is my point. The exposure is the reason, so I don't care if it is 15 or 25. Being 15 gives you a little more margin for error with a loss, but being ranked is for the press purposes - papers and ESPN. With that comes the exposure to the common fan, recruits ...

Goose85
01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
That is my point. The exposure is the reason, so I don't care if it is 15 or 25. Being 15 gives you a little more margin for error with a loss, but being ranked is for the press purposes - papers and ESPN. With that comes the exposure to the common fan, recruits ...

The B7 needs it too as we are the only B7 team in the top 25. Potential conference mates Buter (9/10) and Creighton (21/17) are also ranked.
Georgetown is 26th in both and potential conference mate VCU also has votes in both polls.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
True, always good to see fellow conference mates in the top 25, however I would gather that in a typical year for those 12 schools (whether it be SLU or VCU that gets the 12th spot) that 3-4 ranked schools is where the average year will be. I can see peak years maybe getting a 5th team in the rankings, but otherwise this will be the usual, maybe ranked a bit higher on average though.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
For those curious the rankings break out like this (Assuming New Conferences):

Big 10: 5
ACC: 5
Basketball 7*: 3
SEC: 3
Big 12: 2
Pac 12: 2
MWC: 2
WCC: 1
Big East: 1
MVC: 1

*Assuming SI article is correct that the additions will be Dayton, Xavier, Butler, Creighton, and either VCU or SLU.

Really not bad, and considering that VCU was ranked last week and that Georgetown is right on the doorstep its not a bad league depending on who we choose. Also X is down this year but will be back.