PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln: 1966-67

Phantom Warrior
01-26-2013, 11:38 PM
I just did a bit of research on that 1966-'67 Lincoln team.

Check this out.

The team AVERAGED 99.8 points per game. In 26 games, they scored 100 points or more 16 times and scored in the 90s on five other occasions.

That includes their first game of the season when they played without star point guard Clarence Sherrod who started at UW for three years after leaving Lincoln, and they scored only 79 points. Take away that game, and Lincoln averaged 100.7 points per game.

The other thing is their best player - John Rushing - graduated at mid-year.

It is impossible to convey how exciting that team was to watch.

Germantown may be a very, very good team, but those calling it possibly the best team ever in Wisconsin high school basketball would have to see some of those Lincoln games to realize GTown is not even close.

Links: http://my.execpc.com/F2/77/ffranco/Lincoln11.html

http://my.execpc.com/F2/77/ffranco/Lin1ps.htm

http://my.execpc.com/F2/77/ffranco/Lin1ts.htm

MUfan12
01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Those teams were before my time, but that program fascinates me. I live in the neighborhood, and drive by old Lincoln High every day.

Nukem2
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Agree with Silver, those Lincolnteams under Jim Smallins were special.

mufansince72
01-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Ok, I'll say that Germantown is the best team that I have seen in my lifetime. I was only 4 in 1966 so I obviously don't remember those Lincoln teams.

IWB
01-27-2013, 11:52 AM
What would they have averaged if there was a 3 pt line? To average over 90 for a high school team in any era is insane.

TedBaxter
01-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the links.

Familar names in the boxscores. Chones for Racine Park, Mills for Milwaukee Pulaski and Enlund for West Allis.

milkbone
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Ted you are correct about John Anderson

TedBaxter
01-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Ted you are correct about John Anderson

No, I looked it up and John was a little younger I believe and played on later Waukesha teams in Madison.

Fred Brown and Clarence Sherrod were two of the better guards in the Big Ten and Ellis Turrentine played on a ranked Drake team.

Phantom Warrior
01-27-2013, 12:21 PM
I hadn't thought about the three-point line. Downtown Freddie Brown probably hit three or four treys per game. Sherrod could shoot from behind the arc, and Ellis Turrentine could too. Rushing, I think, went to a juco, but I don't know if he ever played at the D-1 level. Anybody know what happened to him?

TedBaxter
01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Here's a post in a Journal-Sentinel board about the 1966 Lincoln team. I wonder if Marshall University's 6-8 senior Dennis Tinnon is Danny Tinnon's son?

I will never forget the 1966 Lincoln High School basketball team. Even though we played them 43 years ago (I played for then Boys Tech), they were just the most talented and best team I've ever seen in my 60 years living in Milwaukee. Coached by Jim Smallins, the starting lineup was Clarence Sherrod, Fred Brown, John Rushing, Larry Thomas and Danny Tinnon. The whole team dunked in pregame warm-ups to the tune, "Sweet Georgia Brown." On one particular play, I had Tinnon, who was the state high jump champion, boxed out for a rebound (or so I thought). He simply jumped about 3 feet higher than me, grabbed the ball and scored before I knew what happened. We lost, 99-56, that night, but we celebrated "holding" Lincoln to under 100!!

TedBaxter
01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Here's a post in a Journal-Sentinel board about the 1966 Lincoln team. I wonder if Marshall University's 6-8 senior Dennis Tinnon is related to Danny Tinnon?

I will never forget the 1966 Lincoln High School basketball team. Even though we played them 43 years ago (I played for then Boys Tech), they were just the most talented and best team I've ever seen in my 60 years living in Milwaukee. Coached by Jim Smallins, the starting lineup was Clarence Sherrod, Fred Brown, John Rushing, Larry Thomas and Danny Tinnon. The whole team dunked in pregame warm-ups to the tune, "Sweet Georgia Brown." On one particular play, I had Tinnon, who was the state high jump champion, boxed out for a rebound (or so I thought). He simply jumped about 3 feet higher than me, grabbed the ball and scored before I knew what happened. We lost, 99-56, that night, but we celebrated "holding" Lincoln to under 100!!

milkbone
01-27-2013, 04:44 PM
No, I looked it up and John was a little younger I believe and played on later Waukesha teams in Madison.

Fred Brown and Clarence Sherrod were two of the better guards in the Big Ten and Ellis Turrentine played on a ranked Drake team.

.I was way off, John grad about 73-74 from South, not mid 60's.