PDA

View Full Version : Dominican v. Germantown

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-26-2013, 06:56 PM
So I was at the Dominican/Germantown game tonight and I figured I would share my thoughts on the game and some of the players. First of all WOW is Germantown good, they were drilling threes and controlling the glass the entire night. Dominican was in the lead through the first quarter but then Diamond Stone got in foul trouble and sat out most if not all of the 2nd half and Germantown just took over and never looked back. They ended up winning by 30ish points and it never was close in the second half. I don't know the history of High School Basketball, and Mark Miller may be able to add more on this thought, but they are one of the better high school teams I have ever seen in our state.

As for the players Duane Wilson was a scoring machine, he had to have had almost 30 points and he looked really explosive off the dribble, you could tell he has really good hops and has incredibly quick moves, almost reminds me of Dominic James in that respect. That being said he looks a little small and it looked like he is going to have to go a long way in improving his ball handling, he looked like he had some pretty loose handles. Also on the defensive end he looked a little dis-interested which will definitely have to change if he wants to see the floor at MU. Overall he was very impressive and like any prospect just has a few things to work on, but I think the staff will be able to adjust those things very quickly, it seemed that Duane doesn't really have a ton of respect for his new coach, not that he did anything terrible or things that would make you believe he has character issues, but you could tell by his body language that the coach doesn't quite have control of that team.

Diamond Stone like I mentioned got into foul trouble early and missed most of the first half so he was pretty much a non-factor. In the second half you could tell Dominican is more efficient offensively with him in the game even without Stone touching the ball, however I just don't see him being the #1 prospect in the land right now, I think he has the body and ability, but I guess I just don't feel like he is there yet, that being said he is a Sophomore in High School and I obviously don't see all of the prospects so I can't really compare, however when I look at some of the other guys who have been #1 in the past I just don't see that same dominance from Stone yet.

And finally Luke Fischer looked real good tonight, he seemed much more polished than Stone and really controlled the glass for Germantown. Obviously I think he needs to put on a little bit of bulk, but I think he could be a real good prospect of IU. I am curious how hard MU went after him, he seems like he would have been a good fit for us.

Again these are just my thoughts on a very limited sample size, would be curious to hear what others think.

mufansince72
01-26-2013, 06:58 PM
My thoughts are Gtown is the best and deepest team this state had ever seen!

Markedman
01-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Duane ended up with 30 according to twitter reports.

MUAlphaBangura
01-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Diamond needs to learn how to be a factor when the defense takes him out of his game or when he remains on the court with foul trouble. He has no clue playing under these circumstances. All the potential in the world, but a long way to go in learning the game. Unfortunately for him, I'm not sure their coach will be a great help in that regard. Actually wonder if he will play elsewhere next year after Duane is gone. Does not appear to be much coming back next year for Dominican.

DCwarrior
01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
It probably wouldn't be good for MU and it's fans if this were to happen, but it would probably be good for Stone's development if he were to go to a top-notch prep school out East. He'd have better coaching and better competition (especially in practices).

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Might not be terrible for him to leave for 2 years, he may get homesick and then wanna come to MU.

GOMU1104
01-26-2013, 09:07 PM
I heard similar comments about Stone during the WBY games.

I feel like people expect him to be a combo of Shaq, Dr. J, and Tim Duncan.

He's 16. Whenever you feel like criticizing/evaluating him...remember that he's 16 and is nowhere near where he is likely to be when he's 18z

From what Ive seen...he has really good feet and really good hands...probably the 2 most important things when evaluating a big kid at his age. He's got a bright future and I really hope he ends up at MU.

TheSultan
01-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Diamond needs to learn how to be a factor when the defense takes him out of his game or when he remains on the court with foul trouble. He has no clue playing under these circumstances. All the potential in the world, but a long way to go in learning the game. Unfortunately for him, I'm not sure their coach will be a great help in that regard. Actually wonder if he will play elsewhere next year after Duane is gone. Does not appear to be much coming back next year for Dominican.

I believe he would have to sit out a year for him to play in Wisconsin or his parents will have to move. I think he is from Tosa so I have no idea what that means since he is at a private school now.

Nukem2
01-26-2013, 09:44 PM
I believe he would have to sit out a year for him to play in Wisconsin or his parents will have to move. I think he is from Tosa so I have no idea what that means since he is at a private school now.
I think the poster is suggesting an out if state prep school....?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Definitely think an out of state prep school would help him, he needs an established coach. That being said I don't think anyone here, at least certainly not me, is expecting Stone to be Shaq or any of the other names mentioned, that being said I don't think he is a top of the class type player right now. He has the tools for sure, I think he is going to be very good in time, that being said to be the #1 player in a class you need to be VERY good, when you look at some of the past #1 players Stone just isn't at that level yet. I think better coaching will do a lot for him as will more experience and time. I am in no way saying he is a bad player, just that he isn't a #1 in my mind.

Mucrisco
01-27-2013, 12:04 AM
I've been an assistant coach against Stone two times now in two very competitive games in his frosh yr. We will probably meet them in the tourney this yr again, if seeds play out. The first one, we got him in foul trouble and I thought the same thing as you. The second, his body control and footwork were impressive. I understand why he is the number one player in the country. You have to remember, high school players, especially those that are sophomores, are inconsistent.

dw3dw3dw3
01-27-2013, 12:35 AM
I've been an assistant coach against Stone two times now in two very competitive games in his frosh yr. We will probably meet them in the tourney this yr again, if seeds play out. The first one, we got him in foul trouble and I thought the same thing as you. The second, his body control and footwork were impressive. I understand why he is the number one player in the country. You have to remember, high school players, especially those that are sophomores, are inconsistent.

Even watching Jahil Okafor tonight, you wouldn't have guessed he was the #2 player in 14. Lots of tools, struggled against double teams except when he just lowered his head and moved people out of the way. Add to the fact that for some reason the entry pass seems to be a lost art and you get inconsistent play.

MUAlphaBangura
01-27-2013, 07:14 AM
I heard similar comments about Stone during the WBY games.

I feel like people expect him to be a combo of Shaq, Dr. J, and Tim Duncan.

He's 16. Whenever you feel like criticizing/evaluating him...remember that he's 16 and is nowhere near where he is likely to be when he's 18z

From what Ive seen...he has really good feet and really good hands...probably the 2 most important things when evaluating a big kid at his age. He's got a bright future and I really hope he ends up at MU.

Don't know if you were talking to me specifically, but my post was not a criticism at all. Just pointing out areas that need improvement to warrant his lofty ranking. Also pointing out that I question him getting that knowledge at his current school. Can't imagine anybody expecting him to be the next Shaq. I would like to see a kid with that potential to be given every opportunity to reach that potential. Plus, he's going to need to improve his skills to be a star at Marquette!!