PDA

View Full Version : Providence

MU Viking
01-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Not a lot of commentary yet about the Providence game, so I thought I'd start a thread.

I like that we're coming off a week of preparation for this game after that rough loss at Cincinnati. I expect the team to be amped to be back at home and focused on getting the win.

Providence could be a sneaky opponent because you would assume we should win handily, but they do have some really nice players on that roster and I think Cooley is a pretty good coach who gets his players to go at it hard.

Bryce Cotton is one of the elite scorers in the conference this year. We need to lock down on him and limit open looks.

Vincent Council is back healthy and is another weapon we need to look at stopping.

We all know about Kris Dunn. His first 10 games have been had with mixed success. Apparently, he's been sick? Obviously, a talented guard.

Batts and Henson are a formidable twosome at the F positions.

Obviously, they are smaller, want to play faster, and I think we ought to really try to get it in to Davante and slow 'er down.

They don't appear to have much of a bench (Fortune and Johnson are the two main subs), so if we can dictate tempo and get someone into foul trouble, I like our chances a lot. It would be nice to carry over the great shooting from the second half of Cincy into this one.

Funny to read the PC board. After some initial optimism from the first guy, everyone else seems to not give the Friars a fighting chance. Most are predicting Marquette -9 or -10.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=425&f=1323&t=11214254

Important to get back on track these next two home games so we can go into Louisville 6-1.

Nukem2
01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Could be a tough game as PC is very quick at guard with Cotton, Dunn, Council and Fortune. Cotton is shooting 42% on treys for 7 BE games, while rest of team is shooting 23% of its treys. Interestingly, Kris Dunn ha not attempted a three in BE play ( averaging over 22 MPG ). One of the big keys is to keep Henton off the boards (Lockett?).

Gato78
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Saw them play 2x on TV. If this game is close, we suck. It should be a big win as I think they are poorly coached (or do not listen) and not talented at all beyond 2 players--Cotton and Dunn and Dunn is almost all reputation. I haven't seen him do much.

MU Viking
01-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Was thinking Lockett and J Wilson would be good matchups for Henton, who can be a headache on the boards. Would love to see DayDay (DeDe?) get Batts in foul trouble because I don't think they have a lot of size off the bench.

MU Viking
01-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Saw them play 2x on TV. If this game is close, we suck. It should be a big win as I think they are poorly coached (or do not listen) and not talented at all beyond 2 players--Cotton and Dunn and Dunn is almost all reputation. I haven't seen him do much.

Council is back now and I think a pretty good player. I do agree that we should win, Gato.

MUBasketball
01-25-2013, 02:12 PM

I can't put my finger on Providence. I think you are not giving nearly enough respect to Council and Henton. I think Henton is a really good player. I feel like they have a relatively talented club and should be better than they are. But, they almost beat Syracuse...and jumped out to a huge lead over Louisville on the road in the 1st half. I'm glad this one is at home, and consider this to be a dangerous matchup. *Although I fully acknowledge I'm always nervous about upcoming opponents!*

Markedman
01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
I think we should win by double digits but I thought the same about Seton Hall.

It would be a nice step forward to beat a lower level conference team easily but I don't expect it.

Nukem2
01-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Will PC play zone? Will PC's press hurt MU?

Phantom Warrior
01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't think this team will have an "easy" win the rest of the year. It is way too inconsistent, not just from game to game, but also within each game.

I'd take a one point win in a mini-second and not look back.

This team can lose to anybody.