PDA

View Full Version : Buzz Postgame

Gato78
01-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Said that ref told him Davante was knocked over by the ball. Buzz very unhappy with officiating. The sideline TO they gave to Cincy should have been a jump ball. John Gaffney blows as a ref--has aleways sucked. Long night when Gaffney is the lead ref. I think officiating has been worse this year than years past--which is saying something since Tim Higgins is retired.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Can't blame just officials, especially when you have a first half as bad as we did... If we even have a decent first half we would have won by a good margin... Also free throw shooting could have been better, only needed to make one more. Sure Davante hit them down the stretch but even with that we only shot 67% for the game.

Don't get me wrong, there was some terrible calls down the stretch, but our first half play is the reason we lost, you can't put yourself in that big of a hole... Good news is we are 4-1 which is much better than most thought at this point and we have a good amount of winnable games coming up.

MUBasketball
01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Exactly...lets stop blaming officials, I hate that. Horrendous 1st half. Hopefully this propels them

pbiflyer
01-19-2013, 10:31 PM
it is tough not to look at a call at the end that could have been the difference, but there were some calls that went our way as well. A couple horrid calls that didn't.
but, free throws, mental lapses, bad fouls, etc. are far bigger contributing factors.

IWB
01-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Agree about the first half, but good god Davante got drilled and even the crisp announcers finally disagreed with the call and it knocked him out of the game. By the way, announcer wise, is it just me and mrs IWB or did she sound like Gilda Radner everytime she said, "Taaaahhhdddd" when talking about Mayo?

Hell of a comeback, just fell s tad short.

MU/Panther
01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Listening on the radio even Homer True was going nuts on the refs.

MUBB713
01-19-2013, 10:45 PM
There were some bad calls but none that lost MU the game. Game was tied with 14 seconds and MU let Kilpatrick go coast-to-coast and score. MU was fortunate to be in that position but couldn't get the stop to win.

I'm happy that they came through against Uconn, gtown, and Pitt. MU was bound to have a bad ft shooting/good opposing team ft shooting night against them and it happened tonight.

4-1. Second place. 2 winnable games coming up. It could be worse. Can't wait for Saturday...

MU Viking
01-19-2013, 10:53 PM
That call was absolutely brutal and stunning. Obviously, the ball could have bounced a different way on other plays, but it's hard to see a bad call like that in a crucial situation down the stretch.

GOMU1104
01-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Agree about the first half, but good god Davante got drilled and even the crisp announcers finally disagreed with the call and it knocked him out of the game. By the way, announcer wise, is it just me and mrs IWB or did she sound like Gilda Radner everytime she said, "Taaaahhhdddd" when talking about Mayo?

Hell of a comeback, just fell s tad short.

At least she could finally tell the difference between Mayo and Blue. Baby steps...

pbiflyer
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Listening on the radio even Homer True was going nuts on the refs.

Wow, that is amazing, because he is always complaining about fans complaining about the refs. He swears he never even notices them.

MUMac
01-19-2013, 11:09 PM
For those that say "quit whining about the refs", give me a break. They reviewed the play and still blew it. Gaffney is one of the worst officials in the Big East. I would actually prefer Burr and Higgins, as you now what you get. Gaffney is just god awful. Always has been always will be.

Was he the difference? Well, he made the touch foul call on Mayo when Kilpatrick shot and missed on Cincy's last true play in regulation. That was an awful call as well.

Like I said, he is just plain awful. If he decides the next game in the favor of MU, I will say the same. Why? Because he is just plain bad. Not bad against MU. JUST AN AWFUL OFFICIAL!!!!

MUBasketball
01-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Disregard..

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Again though its hard for MU to blame the game on that one call... If they make one of their 10 missed free throws in regulation they win, if they score more than 13 points in the first half they win, it's that simple. They played great in the 2nd half, but unfortunately in the first half they played one of the worst halves of basketball we have seen in awhile... Hell they shot 18% in the first half... Let that sink in, there is nowhere else to point the finger.

kneelb4zerg
01-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Again though its hard for MU to blame the game on that one call... If they make one of their 10 missed free throws in regulation they win, if they score more than 13 points in the first half they win, it's that simple. They played great in the 2nd half, but unfortunately in the first half they played one of the worst halves of basketball we have seen in awhile... Hell they shot 18% in the first half... Let that sink in, there is nowhere else to point the finger.

Ok, but is it possible to blame both things?? Bad officiating AND a poor first half? /mindblown.

MUAlphaBangura
01-20-2013, 07:31 AM
For those that say "quit whining about the refs", give me a break. They reviewed the play and still blew it. Gaffney is one of the worst officials in the Big East. I would actually prefer Burr and Higgins, as you now what you get. Gaffney is just god awful. Always has been always will be.

Was he the difference? Well, he made the touch foul call on Mayo when Kilpatrick shot and missed on Cincy's last true play in regulation. That was an awful call as well.

Like I said, he is just plain awful. If he decides the next game in the favor of MU, I will say the same. Why? Because he is just plain bad. Not bad against MU. JUST AN AWFUL OFFICIAL!!!!
Agree Mac. I know it was a big hoops day yesterday, but I even said at the beginning of the game when the officials were listed on the screen that if Gaffney is the head guy, there are going to be some horsesh!t calls. Obviously not enough competent refs for a busy Saturday of hoops. The Davante foul was horrible, but I, like you, thought Todd's call against Kilpatrick was unbelievable! For what went on that whole game-- and then to call that ticky tack crap is amazing. Oh well, like many others have said in the past, you better be far enough ahead on the road(or at home for that matter) to make sure bad calls by officials won't cost you the game.

MUBasketball
01-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Ok, but is it possible to blame both things?? Bad officiating AND a poor first half? /mindblown.

No because if they don't play so terrible in the 1st half, it doesn't come down to a possible blown call late in the game. Should have been a win, despite being on the road, due to Wright being out. Normally, losing on the road is no big deal, its basically expected. But given the circumstances, I feel they should have won. That 1st half was just brutal. Can't point the finger at anybody else.

MUMac
01-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Who has blamed the officials for the loss? I haven't seen one person in this thread blame the officiating. I was commenting on Gaffney, as was Gato. I believe he is a very poor official. Especially as a lead official.

Yes, MU's offensive ineptness in the first half and poorer than normal free throw shooting were the reasons for the loss. That does not mean we cannot comment on an official or a key call he made, causing Devante to be on the bench for the remainder of the first half when MU needed offense.

Show me where anyone has blamed the officiating for the loss in this thread. You and BuzzWilliams4Pres were quick to jump on Gato for that and he made no such statement. No one has.

MU_Iceman
01-20-2013, 09:53 AM
The reason MU lost this game is because the 2nd worst FT shooting team in the BE at 62% shot almost 80% last night. Including a player(Rubles) that normally shoots 62% making 8-11. I hate it when that garbage happens. Cincy shot out of their minds at the FT stripe last night. That won't happen again all year for them. It's whatever.

MUfan12
01-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Jamil's 5th was a garbage call. The no-call on the sidelines when MU had the tie up was horrible. Missed a travel on that play too. Very late touch foul on Mayo. Davante getting knocked down.

The list goes on. It sucks to come back and have to play 5-8 at the end of regulation and in OT.

IrwinFletcher
01-20-2013, 10:55 AM
How about the touch call on Gardner, 45 feet from the basket, when it looked like there was a tiny push off coming off the screen. Stupid for the ref to blow the whistle as there was no advantage created.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Who has blamed the officials for the loss? I haven't seen one person in this thread blame the officiating. I was commenting on Gaffney, as was Gato. I believe he is a very poor official. Especially as a lead official.

Yes, MU's offensive ineptness in the first half and poorer than normal free throw shooting were the reasons for the loss. That does not mean we cannot comment on an official or a key call he made, causing Devante to be on the bench for the remainder of the first half when MU needed offense.

Show me where anyone has blamed the officiating for the loss in this thread. You and BuzzWilliams4Pres were quick to jump on Gato for that and he made no such statement. No one has.

Kneel made a comment above saying both things should be blamed.

MUMac
01-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Kneel made a comment above saying both things should be blamed.

Before Kneel made his comment, you had two already in the thread - including post number two. Each attacking others for blaming the officials for the loss. Again, your post had no merit, as no one had blamed the officiating. In fact, the OP, to which you quickly chastised, was speaking of Buzz and his comments on the post game in regard to the play in question.

Perhaps you were chastising Buzz for blaming the officials for MU losing?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-20-2013, 01:23 PM
If you view my first post as an attack you have incredibly soft skin. Glad the new board sheriff is here to police the board and be the moral high ground in deciding what is relevant and not. It's just the way I read it and that was my initial thought, sorry you dislike it and Gato if you in ANYWAY felt like I was attacking you I'm truly sorry, not at all intended and was just saying my feelings.

MUMac
01-20-2013, 03:18 PM
If you view my first post as an attack you have incredibly soft skin. Glad the new board sheriff is here to police the board and be the moral high ground in deciding what is relevant and not. It's just the way I read it and that was my initial thought, sorry you dislike it and Gato if you in ANYWAY felt like I was attacking you I'm truly sorry, not at all intended and was just saying my feelings.

Speaking of soft skin, did you actually write this? lol.

Gato78
01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Hell, I don't care if people take shots at me. Especially when I know I am right.....