PDA

View Full Version : More Conference Re-alignment Chatter

ge1974
01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
FWIW - from the West Virginia boys. Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt. Please note that I am just the messanger here:D:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=11186728&sto=MS_135463541

http://www.eersauthority.com/big-10-and-sec-race-to-add-acc-schools/

Miami (FL) will head to the Big 12 with Florida State; possibly as early as next week. Up to four others may follow (eg. Clemson). The Big 12 has a meeting on Tuesday, the 29th so it could happen then.

Virginia and either Georgia Tech or North Carolina to the BIG next week.

SEC wants North Carolina and Duke but may settle for NC State and Va Tech.

I also read today that Houston expects to get an invite to either the ACC or Pac-12 later today. Hmmm....

TheSultan
01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
The Scout guy is being completely discredited by his own board, given the comments afterwards.

Here is the "About the Author" on the eersauthority dude: "Chris usually writes using the pseudonym "Honus Sneed" is known as the "Dude of WV". He's sometimes controversial and sometimes funny but his love of the Mountaineers is always apparent. He is married to smartest, most bad-ass, derby girl who is as beautiful as she is tough. They share their life with the iirrepressible Fozzie Bear of Chaos who denies he is related in any way to Bo Obama."

So color me skeptical...

MU/Panther
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
While I think another bomb will happen, it's a matter of when.

Goose85
01-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I could do the same. Pretend I have it on good source that Florida State is ready to jump to the Big 12 and Miami may join them. After that happens Georgia Tech and Virginia may go Big 10. SEC is eyeing up either NC State or North Carolina and Virginia Tech. Easy to float such rumors as there is no secret many in the ACC are watching the Maryland move closely.

There are a couple WVU guys, or one with many names, wants Big 12 to expand to solidify the conference, expand with FSU / Miami to keep Florida recruiting, (source or hopefull thinking).

Much like you will see Syracuse guys say how all of it is crazy and nobody is leaving the ACC (source or hopefull thinking).

I think most think the ACC will have more defections, but the WVU guy does this about once a month on as many boards as he can.

TheSultan
01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
I've said this before, but I think Maryland was desperate - and I think the B10 chose Rutgers because it was easy. If they really wanted to make inroads into that part of the country, why didn't they take UVa, UNC and GT right away? They could have picked Rutgers anytime over the past 20 years. I would be very surprised to see more movement.

Phantom Warrior
01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Personally, I don't give a flying gazebo what any of the football conferences do as long as they don't come after any of the hoops schools - which I don't think they will.

If I had a preference, however, I wouldn't mind seeing the ACC raided by the Big ? and the SEC. A little bit of karmic justice would bring a smile to my face. Continued raids would also create instability and flux, even in the receiving conferences. Let the SEC and Big ? grow to 16 teams or whatever. That will cause more problems and issues for member schools.

It would be ironic if the hoops schools ended up creating a more stable situation than the football conferences. Sometimes I love irony almost as much as I enjoy karma.

unclejohn
01-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Yeah the whole thing is pretty strange. If anything, this should put to rest the idea that the C-7 are going to be including any football schools. Football=instability.

Reading through all this, I cannot keep track of what the conferences would look like if all these changes come to pass. It seems the ACC would still exist, but it would look more like the former Big East. The sad part of this is that it has destroyed the character of conferences entirely. For years, the Big Ten was Midwestern state schools. Everybody knew who they were. Lots of people in the Midwest cheered for whoever the Big Ten team was in the Rose Bowl, and frequently cheered for them in other sports as well. The Big 8 were a bunch of schools that had been together as long as there were conferences, and when it became the Big 12, it still made geographic sense. Now Kansas, Nebraska, and Missouri, which had played each other for over 100 years, are in different conferences. What Missouri is doing in the SEC, I have no idea, as they have little in common to the people in the Southeast who talk with their mouths open a lot. And the ACC was Tobacco Road and great basketball. Lord knows what it will look like when this is over. This is more like trying to keep track of which teams are in the same division in the NHL.

Two things to take from this: 1. We need to steer clear of football schools. We don't have football, and that is a good thing. And 2. Greed leads to some crazy results.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Honestly, I'm just looking forward to an announcement. Get this thing done, get Butler, Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, and VCU in the door (or SLU, I could live with that even though they aren't my favorite) and seal it with a TV contract. Just so we know where we stand, because once our league is assembled, I really think we'll be pretty well clear of this realignment nonsense, unless it's to add Gonzaga.

CaribouJim
01-18-2013, 06:34 PM
I've said this before, but I think Maryland was desperate - and I think the B10 chose Rutgers because it was easy. If they really wanted to make inroads into that part of the country, why didn't they take UVa, UNC and GT right away? They could have picked Rutgers anytime over the past 20 years. I would be very surprised to see more movement.

Coach K not a fan of Maryland I guess and realignment in general. Try being a b-ball only coach in the Big East Coach K!

http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/15/mike-krzyzewski-rips-realignment/

unclejohn
01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Coach K not a fan of Maryland I guess and realignment in general. Try being a b-ball only coach in the Big East Coach K!

http://tracking.si.com/2013/01/15/mike-krzyzewski-rips-realignment/

Yeah, the Maryland fans are going to be pissed, but he is right. Lots of traditional rivalries are going by the boards. Instead of geographically sensible conferences, we are going to have a mess spread out all over the place. There was something about fans from conference schools cheering for their conference mates. We saw it when the Big East hit the tournament every year. Of course, it is a big deal in the SEC for football. But it used to be a big deal in the B10 and certainly for the ACC in basketball. If realignment breaks up Duke and NC, that would really be a shame. As it is, lots of memories are being lost, like the legendary game between Maryland and NC when only one team per conference made the tournament. Many thought it was one of the best games of all time, and in effect was the national championship game. Now they are not going to play anymore.

Phantom Warrior
01-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Someone should clue him in that his hallowed ACC started this whole mess, not once but twice - firstg with BC, Miami, Virginia Tech, and then with Syracuse and Pitt followed by Louisville and ND.

He wants to moan and groan - let him point his middle finger at his own frickin' conference.

What goes around, comes around, baby.