PDA

View Full Version : Vander draws a charge

Goose85
01-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Was listenting to Homer's show yesterday or the day before, and at one point Homer said that Vander had never drawn a charging foul, and if Vander ever did he would give him a standing ovation.

Well last night Vander did draw a charge. Homer stood up and with hands over his head gave him a standing O. Buzz quickly went over and sat on the scorers table and positioned himself right next to Homer and joined in the ovation for Vander. Vander was smiling / laughing. Funny of Homer and classic move by Buzz to join Homer.

IWB
01-17-2013, 10:20 AM
http://youtu.be/uckzHviCVc0

MUfan12
01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
If looks could kill... Kuykendall would have taken Homer out. Classic!

IWB
01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Kuykendall looked to be yelling at Homer to sit down. Probably changed his tune when Buzz high fived him.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
who is kuykendall?

IWB
01-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Scott Kuykendall is the SID..... official title is Associate Athletics Director, Media Relations

TheSultan
01-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Was the SID legitimately upset???

CaribouJim
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Was the SID legitimately upset???

I assume he didn't know the context of Buzz and Homer's behavior and maybe thought Buzz was losing it. Well, "losing it" more than Buzz normally loses it. I mean that in a fond way BTW.

IWB
01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I look at it a different way. Kuykendall is in charge of all media. As part of that, he has to make sure the media acts appropriately. Now keep in mind that Homer sits at the official scorers' table. No one there is allowed to show any favoritism whatsoever. So, when Homer jumps to his feet and starts clapping, they are doing their jobs and getting Homer to sit down as to not 'show up' the opposing team.

They probably did not get the context, but still, they were just trying to control the media. Heck, you show any little bit of emotion in the press box at a Packers game and you will no longer have credentials.

GOMU1104
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Cheering in a press box or on press row is a complete no-no. I have no problem if Broeker/Kuykendall are upset. I would be too.

Bocephys
01-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Cheering in a press box or on press row is a complete no-no. I have no problem if Broeker/Kuykendall are upset. I would be too.

That's laughable, have you ever heard Homer or Mac call a game? They're nowhere near impartial, nor should they be. They're catering to the hometown audience, not a national one. If they worked for ESPN or CBS, then there's something to be said for the "no cheering on press row" rule, but not in this context.

GOMU1104
01-17-2013, 02:18 PM
That's laughable, have you ever heard Homer or Mac call a game? They're nowhere near impartial, nor should they be. They're catering to the hometown audience, not a national one. If they worked for ESPN or CBS, then there's something to be said for the "no cheering on press row" rule, but not in this context.

Yes, I'm aware of Homer and Mac's act and I do enjoy listening to them. They can express their enjoyment all they want, while also being respectful.

To stand up in the middle of an arena where everyone can see the home team's announcer clapping...is out of line.

TulsaWarrior
01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
It's a game. No disrespect was intended. If it happened every contest it would be an issue. I'm sure everyone involved knows the rules. Buzz's animation is contagious for players, fans and apparently announcers. This was a Tom Sawyer moment.

pbiflyer
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Yes, I'm aware of Homer and Mac's act and I do enjoy listening to them. They can express their enjoyment all they want, while also being respectful.

To stand up in the middle of an arena where everyone can see the home team's announcer clapping...is out of line.

Larry, is that you? :p

GOMU1104
01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
All I'm saying is that I have been involved in situations like these and I completely understand if Kuykendall and Broeker were upset...and it is completely justified.

MUfan12
01-17-2013, 03:27 PM
All I'm saying is that I have been involved in situations like these and I completely understand if Kuykendall and Broeker were upset...and it is completely justified.

Absolutely right. They probably didn't know about the radio show convo.

It was inappropriate for press row, but I also thought the whole thing was really funny.

Goose85
01-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Buzz grabbing a seat next to him on top of the scorers table and clapping along was a great move. I won't say an Al move, but it was a Buzz move. Buzz is unique and a classic who we need to coach here for years to come.

TulsaWarrior
01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
I think the line that needs to be drawn is jumping up on the scorer's table and pumping his fist. It's too 1970s :D

bohoops
01-18-2013, 09:51 AM
It's a game. No disrespect was intended. If it happened every contest it would be an issue. I'm sure everyone involved knows the rules. Buzz's animation is contagious for players, fans and apparently announcers. This was a Tom Sawyer moment.

Agree 100%. Marquette basketball typically has been and always should be FUN.
Dancing in Cinci = MU style
Clapping on scorers table = MU style
Dancing after dunks = MU style

Now if you do these things three times a game, it is too much. Once in a while is perfect and it is Marquette basketball. Remember yelling "Give em Hell Al" at the end of the National Anthem? Marquette basketball typically has been and should continue to be a bit politically incorrect. Balance is the issue, and I think Buzz has perfect balance. Homer too.

Goose85
01-18-2013, 01:31 PM
MU basketball, with Al's legacy, has always been a fun / march to the beat of a different drum type of program.

Once Al became a broadcaster I think people forgot how much others (non MU fans) didn't care for him. Al's antics were great if you were an MU fan, not so much if you weren't, and we didn't care - we embraced that as the MU way.

Think of all of the crap Buzz got (not from fans) about the little two step after the WVU game (stadium was almost empty and WVU had just told the conference to take a hike). I thought it was great. In Al's day we would have celebrated that move - a part of Al being Al and different times. No way would Al apologize for that, I kind of wish Buzz hadn't.

Just thinking out loud.
Back in the day Ray Meyer said one of Al's players couldn't throw a beach ball into Lake Michigan (after a player for Depaul and MU's Pat Smith were ejected for fighting). The next day, with press along, Al took Pat to the Lake front where Pat showed he could actually throw a beach ball into Lake Michigan. Another one of Al's classics. Question is - would MU's administration allow Buzz to do the same thing? I hope so. We are Marquette after all.

ziggysfryboy
01-18-2013, 05:59 PM

Absolutely right. They probably didn't know about the radio show convo.

It was inappropriate for press row, but I also thought the whole thing was really funny.

If they are in charge of the media relations, shouldn't they know what buzz said on his radio show?