PDA

View Full Version : Iu/uw

Markedman
01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Good first half. IU up 1

Crean has obviously recruited lots of very talented offensive players but his team defense is really awful...at least in this game.

Overplaying all over the floor against a team that doesn't turn it over(UW best in nation with only 7 a game) allowing UW to drive past them time after time for dunks.

I mean giving up at least 4 dunks off the dribble to UW in the half court in just one half?

Bizarre.....

kneelb4zerg
01-15-2013, 09:01 PM
To the people doubting the badgers will be a tourney team...lol...I don't even care how this game turns out. Their style of play will infuriate an up tempo team like Indiana and ensure they have a fighting chance in almost every game.

Halo
01-15-2013, 09:24 PM
And Tom Crean shows once again at how he has no clue to Coach against UW. Allowing his team to take stupid shots, not boxing out and terrible defense.

Markedman
01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
IU has shown no patience......Butler beat them the same way.....slow it down and grind it out.

IU must have at least 5 pros.....UW has Berggren(maybe) and probably Decker.

Markedman
01-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Hulls with just a horrible game....looks like UW is going to hold on...huge win for UW.

Hard to see them missing the tourny now....

Markedman
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
So why didn't Crean just have them grab Evans?

MUAlphaBangura
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
IU has had multiple chances to foul Evans and has not done so. I don't get it.

MU_Iceman
01-15-2013, 10:09 PM
This is a perfect example of why i hate college BB sometimes. Ugh!

Halo
01-15-2013, 10:10 PM
It's really amazing how poor of a job Crean has done in trying to figure out how to beat Bo. Terrible game plan going on 5 years now. He must need Chris Grimm to beat him. And another quick run by Bo in the post game handshake. Comical. Stay classy Coach Crean.

mufansince72
01-15-2013, 10:25 PM
I have always said that Crean was a lousy game coach. Buzz is so much better.

MUBasketball
01-15-2013, 10:25 PM
This is a perfect example of why i hate college BB sometimes. Ugh!

Why? Don't get it

ziggysfryboy
01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
It's really amazing how poor of a job Crean has done in trying to figure out how to beat Bo. Terrible game plan going on 5 years now. He must need Chris Grimm to beat him. And another quick run by Bo in the post game handshake. Comical. Stay classy Coach Crean.

He damn near ripped Bo's jacket off.

TheSultan
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Why? Don't get it

Well, I am not sure if this is what Iceman meant, but college basketball is really going though a malaise right now. These games are really difficult to watch. I mean, if I weren't a MU fan, the last two games were really not all that entertaining. I guess most players with any sort of offensive talent decide to go to the NBA.

Hamostradamus
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Well, I am not sure if this is what Iceman meant, but college basketball is really going though a malaise right now. These games are really difficult to watch. I mean, if I weren't a MU fan, the last two games were really not all that entertaining. I guess most players with any sort of offensive talent decide to go to the NBA.

This. NCAA needs to figure out how to make the games more watchable. It's like when the NFL started calling PI more, corners were shoving more and scoring went down. Bucky (and IU as well) were playing football last night (Bruiser basically kicked a guy on a screen) and none of it was called. No one could get a shot off and you end up with a score like that.

Bocephys
01-16-2013, 10:28 AM
This. NCAA needs to figure out how to make the games more watchable. It's like when the NFL started calling PI more, corners were shoving more and scoring went down. Bucky (and IU as well) were playing football last night (Bruiser basically kicked a guy on a screen) and none of it was called. No one could get a shot off and you end up with a score like that.
But all everyone does is complain when the refs are whistle happy and each team shoots 30 free throws. So where's the middle ground so we don't have to suffer through two years of 3 hour games before the coaches adjust?

TheSultan
01-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Perhaps they need to either move the 3 point shot out further, to open up driving lanes, or move it back to where it was, to make it an easier shot. The problem with moving it out is that college players can't really make it with any consistency. The problem with moving it back is that it is simply too easy.

MUBB713
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Speaking of opening up driving lanes, I think another alternative would be to add the defensive three second violation like in the NBA. I think we would see a better flow to the game with this rule.

TheSultan
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Speaking of opening up driving lanes, I think another alternative would be to add the defensive three second violation like in the NBA. I think we would see a better flow to the game with this rule.

That is a really good idea. However I don't trust college referees to actually remember to call it.

Markedman
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I think what Iceman probably meant was "the more talented team" lost................

To me that is what makes College basketball the great game it is. 2013 is kind of a down year offensively throughout college basketball but these things go in cycles.

IWB
01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
But all everyone does is complain when the refs are whistle happy and each team shoots 30 free throws. So where's the middle ground so we don't have to suffer through two years of 3 hour games before the coaches adjust?

This is a good point and in my opinion, an easy fix. Call those fouls early on in the game - the players will adjust. Years ago it used to bug me when Cincy & Huggins would play Deane & Marquette. You knew it would be a physical game and it was. That Brannon kid should have been kicked out of half of those games, yet he would end up with 2 fouls. It was always as if the refs came into the game with the mindset of knowing it would be physical, so instead of getting control of the game, they would just try to control the skirmishes.

Call the fouls early, set the tone for the entire game, and the coaches/players will adjust.

Goose85
01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
This is a good point and in my opinion, an easy fix. Call those fouls early on in the game - the players will adjust. Years ago it used to bug me when Cincy & Huggins would play Deane & Marquette. You knew it would be a physical game and it was. That Brannon kid should have been kicked out of half of those games, yet he would end up with 2 fouls. It was always as if the refs came into the game with the mindset of knowing it would be physical, so instead of getting control of the game, they would just try to control the skirmishes.

Call the fouls early, set the tone for the entire game, and the coaches/players will adjust.

Interesting point, and one reason why I think certain teams create their own disadvantage going into the NCAA tourney. Cincy used to mug you coming up court, but was their style so that is how the conference refs adjusted to calling their games as IWB indicated. Get to the NCAA tourney with refs from other conferences who don't allow that type of physical play, and you can be a quick exit from the tourney.

IWB
01-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Exactly Goo, the teams that do this are always crying to the refs come tourney time as they are not used to being called for those types of fouls.

MU_Iceman
01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
A foul is a foul is a foul. It's a really simple concept. If it's a foul, call it, if it's not, don't.

TheSultan
01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
A foul is a foul is a foul. It's a really simple concept. If it's a foul, call it, if it's not, don't.

As someone who has reffed high school basketball, it really isn't that simple.

mufan2003
01-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Last night provides an interesting theory on stopping Indiana (whether it be via zone or man-to-man). Cody Zeller was 8-8 in the 1st half with 18 points yet it was a 1-point game at halftime. Let Cody Zeller get his, as he likely will anyway, but don't let the others go off. Indiana is good and has talent, but would any other team (maybe Creighton) suffer as much of a decline from losing one guy as Indiana would?

TheSultan
01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Last night provides an interesting theory on stopping Indiana (whether it be via zone or man-to-man). Cody Zeller was 8-8 in the 1st half with 18 points yet it was a 1-point game at halftime. Let Cody Zeller get his, as he likely will anyway, but don't let the others go off. Indiana is good and has talent, but would any other team (maybe Creighton) suffer as much of a decline from losing one guy as Indiana would?

UW ran the shooters off the free throw line. IU isn't really good at putting the ball on the floor, and even when they could, they had Bergerren, Brusewitz and Kaminsky guarding the basket. BTW, the emergence of Traevon Jackson is huge for them. He looked like a completely different player than the one who struggled against Marquette.

BLT
01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
As someone who has reffed high school basketball, it really isn't that simple.

I would agree with this...good officials try to call to the game flow. For example, if a guard has a steal 50 feet away with a clear path breakaway except for a quick body nudge from the original dribbler....don't you go with the advantage? Especially if not in the bonus, why give an advantage for a quick foul by the team turned over unless the foul is blatent?

I think the problem would go away/lessen if more of an emphasis was placed on consistency. Take the semi circle...I think that brought consistency to a judgment call. Last year, there was a thought that the officials were placing too much emphasis though on whether the defender's feet were in the circle or not...and not whether his feet were moving. As a result, too many offensive calls were made. This year, they said they were going to emphasize both...that sliding defenders were going to be called more outside the circle. So far this year, the officials in MU games have been very consistent on that call...until last game where the defenders did a lot of sliding but got the charge call. Two more areas of inconsistency: lower body fouling on shooters (some refs will only call shooting fouls on the arm) and hand checking. Players and coaches don't know what they are going to get so you see the rugby games as a result. Heck, Bo even teaches the lower body nudge. However, based on styles of play, how the game is called and then played directly affects the outcome based on the officials. I remember Pitt vs. MU games where the Pitt guards had handfuls of Neek's jersey up top without a call.

Nukem2
01-16-2013, 12:52 PM

Call the fouls early, set the tone for the entire game, and the coaches/players will adjust.Yep, Bobby Brannen was really over the top re physicality on the court. Perfect for Huggins...!