PDA

View Full Version : Vander

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
I can remember wanting to bang my head on the wall multiple times a game over the last two years because of his inability to convert layups, poor shooting percentage and careless turnovers. I will admit that my frustrations were often times a bit on the emotional side of things (maybe due to the hype of being one of the highest rated recruits in MU history) as opposed to realizing that despite the hype and overwhelming amount of talent he was just a freshman/sophomore.

I realize we are only midway through the season but I think it's pretty obvious that Vander has turned a corner in a major way. The kid looks completely under control and the game has slowed down for him significantly. He is converting on his takes to the cup, his shooting % has been very respectable (45% fg, 35% 3pt, 74% ft) and his turnovers are reasonable given his attacking/play making nature. His defense has always been there and he has only become better in this aspect as well.

With the great balance on this team it is often tough to identify who our leader truly is but in my opinion he has really become our leader on the floor (I know many would say Junior and that's quite possible as well). I'm looking forward to another 1.5 years of him in an MU uniform and definitely see him as an All Conference pick as a senior (if he doesn't make one of the teams this year).

Full disclosure: I just thought this post was necessary as there hasn't been a lot of talk about his play this year and he was certainly the "whipping boy" of many (including me) over the past two years. Keep up the great work Vander!

Nukem2
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Many just have not appreciated Vander's contributuions in his first two season. But, he was a big contibutor both seasons while playing a secondary role. This season he has seized his new primary role with gusto. Some of his offensive moves are amazing. Good to see his shooting improve while still being a defensive stalwart.

TheSultan
01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
People didn't give him enough slack because of their expectations. His progression has been pretty remarkable in almost every conceivable way.

DCwarrior
01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
He looks much more confident (and has much better form) with his outside shot this year.

Goose85
01-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Vander has continued to improve in all facets of his game. His drives to the hoop were always good, now he is finishing more consistently. Free throw shooting has been very good. Improved shooting from the outside. Has always been a very good defender.

Vander will finish his third year of college basketball this year, and will still only be 20 years old.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-14-2013, 12:20 PM
I've been a staunch defender of Van for the past two years, but I never expected this kind of improvement this fast. Reminds me of bama on Scoop talking about how he was a year younger than the rest of his class. Considering that most players make the most significant jump between their freshman and sophomore years, and from an age perspective, Vander his bridging that gap now, I guess it makes sense. My hopes for him this year were around 10 ppg and shooting 30% from three. Instead he's turned into a star and is quickly becoming that go-to guy that just a month ago everyone was convinced this team simply didn't have.

You my boy, Blue.