PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sports has MU ranked at...

IWB
01-14-2013, 08:28 AM
CBS Sports (Gary Parrish & Jeff Goodman) have their new rankings out and Marquette clocks in at #20. (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21551341/updated-top-25-and-one)

2) Louisville
7) Syracuse
12) Butler
16) Creighton
20) Marquette
21) VCU
22) UConn

Georgetown & Notre Dame slipped out of the rankings.

Goose85
01-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Always good to be ranked. I also like that some of our potential new conference mates are also in the rankings.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Seth Davis said he put us tied at 26... Will be interesting to see if we can sneak in.

mufan2003
01-14-2013, 02:12 PM
The ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll is a head-scratcher. Cincinnati, weak non-conference schedule, then starts out 2-2 in conference losing @home to St. Johns is still ahead of MU. Georgetown still ahead of MU as well. At least in college basketball, everything is eventually decided on the court, because that makes no sense.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

IWB
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Its because coaches don't pay attention to other teams, they pay attention to their own team and next opponent.

WarriorsNuffSaid
01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
As it relates to this year's squad, they may be better served just outside the top 25. Maybe it's more passion, but I worry about how much celebrating after a made basket this team does. Reminds me of Jermichael Finley celebrating after any catch. Stop the celebrating and get back on defense. Press clippings may not be good afterall. I don't recall seeing anyone talk about this, but what's with the bench after made FT's. At the end of the Pitt game there were doing this silly little dance like move after a made FT. Looked immature to me, and opponents will use that stuff as bulletin board material. I like this team, but they need to act like they've been there before.

Bocephys
01-14-2013, 02:53 PM
As it relates to this year's squad, they may be better served just outside the top 25. Maybe it's more passion, but I worry about how much celebrating after a made basket this team does. Reminds me of Jermichael Finley celebrating after any catch. Stop the celebrating and get back on defense. Press clippings may not be good afterall. I don't recall seeing anyone talk about this, but what's with the bench after made FT's. At the end of the Pitt game there were doing this silly little dance like move after a made FT. Looked immature to me, and opponents will use that stuff as bulletin board material. I like this team, but they need to act like they've been there before.

Some people will find anything to complain about. They can't celebrate a nice road win anymore?

kneelb4zerg
01-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Ranked or not, I doubt Buzz will stop with the "we're not very good" angle of motivating this team.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
If they don't come out to play Wednesday even a team like Seton Hall has the chance to humble this team. We may be ranked top 25 again but this team simply is not talented enough to lose their edge, I'm sure Buzz reminds them of that daily. Also lets not forget that part of the reason we are ranked is because the level of play overall in college basketball is down. We have had better/more well rounded teams in the last few years that weren't ranked at certain parts of the season or struggled to stay ranked that would beat up on this current team.

Bocephys
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
If they don't come out to play Wednesday even a team like Seton Hall has the chance to humble this team. We may be ranked top 25 again but this team simply is not talented enough to lose their edge, I'm sure Buzz reminds them of that daily. Also lets not forget that part of the reason we are ranked is because the level of play overall in college basketball is down. We have had better/more well rounded teams in the last few years that weren't ranked at certain parts of the season or struggled to stay ranked that would beat up on this current team.

Agreed, very soft bubble this year, though I'm starting to feel like that's said every year. Maybe the one and done rule actually made college basketball worse?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Also expanding the tournament by 4 more teams has actually made it easier to get in. I never would have thought that only adding 4 teams would do that, however it has. I really think they made a mistake by going to 68...

pbiflyer
01-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Agreed, very soft bubble this year, though I'm starting to feel like that's said every year. Maybe the one and done rule actually made college basketball worse?

Maybe? Is there any doubt?

Bocephys
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Maybe? Is there any doubt?
Haha, well I haven't run the numbers, but it does seem a bit counter-intuitive on the face of it. In theory there is more talent in the league since the top level players are at least playing for one year. I'm sure there's an obvious reason that I'm not thinking of, as clearly the level of play is down overall these last few years in conjunction with the extra 4 spots in the tournament.

BLT
01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Haha, well I haven't run the numbers, but it does seem a bit counter-intuitive on the face of it. In theory there is more talent in the league since the top level players are at least playing for one year. I'm sure there's an obvious reason that I'm not thinking of, as clearly the level of play is down overall these last few years in conjunction with the extra 4 spots in the tournament.

With the NBA lockout, one and dones became twos/threes and done...to go with another class of one and dones. There was a back log of those like Sullinger who stayed an extra year to go with the freshman like Anthony Davis.