PDA

View Full Version : Can't Say Enough About Derrick Wilson

TedBaxter
01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Regardless of losing his man on that last shot in regulation, he really ran the team well.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Played very big today. He's a good game manager, and those shots he's missing now should start falling with more experience. Feeling a lot better about our future seeing him develop this year.

dubs98
01-12-2013, 02:01 PM
not sure that was wilson's man. He was playing for a kick to the corner or quick return pass to the corner. Can't remember who it was, but two guys guarded the soft "down screen" for patterson. Before the play set up, they both allowed themselves to get pinned. One of them was supposed to be guarding the top. I am guessing they both thought the other was going, either way not smart, but we got through.

Phantom Warrior
01-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Why was anybody on MU defending anybody inside the three point line? Let them score a two. Who cares? All five players should have been at the three point line contesting any pass outside the arc. five defenders on four offensiv e players. Period.

No way anyone from Pitt should have had an open look.

I like Buzz, but that was terrible coaching!

TedBaxter
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Why was anybody on MU defending anybody inside the three point line? Let them score a two. Who cares? All five players should have been at the three point line contesting any pass outside the arc. five defenders on four offensiv e players. Period.

No way anyone from Pitt should have had an open look.

I like Buzz, but that was terrible coaching!

Enjoy the win.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
It wasnt wilson. He had strong side wing responsibilities and was positioned just fine. It was lockett that got caught sleeping by guarding the basket as opposesd to the perimeter. Inexcusable for a senior "leader."

D Wilson played huge---does a great job within his limited skill set and athletic ability!!

Real solid team win!

kneelb4zerg
01-12-2013, 02:17 PM
You are damn right enjoy the win. SMH at the negativity here. Jeez.

TheSultan
01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Marquette is so well coached. Honestly, to come into this game and play that hard after throwing up on the road all year long. And despite blowing it at the end of regulation, to bounce right back and dominate overtime when a lot of teams would have folded. Mental toughness.

Gato78
01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Derrick Wilson was guarding no one--the three point line with no shooter. That is 100% on Derrick. He and Davante had end of game brain pharts. They were also responsible for the win.

TedBaxter
01-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Especially when your senior point guard is on the shelf.

TheSultan
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Derrick Wilson was guarding no one--the three point line with no shooter. That is 100% on Derrick. He and Davante had end of game brain pharts. They were also responsible for the win.

I read on Scoop that Buzz on postgame said it was Trent's issue for not rotating over. Derrick was where he was supposed to be.

Gato78
01-12-2013, 02:28 PM
When Buzz sees that tape he will ask who Derrick was guarding.

Nukem2
01-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Props also to Todd Mayo as he got open against the press in OT. And did not turn the ball over while making FTs. Glad he is back.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-12-2013, 02:30 PM

Are you serious Gato? Go watch the replay...Derrick Wilson had strong side wing coverage and was exactly where he should have been---guarding the 3 point line. It was locket who had the major brain fart and got caught in the muck under the basket.

Gato78
01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
I am serious. 1.2 left.

Nukem2
01-12-2013, 02:38 PM
I am serious. 1.2 left.Buzz said it was man defense and Trent left his man.

TheSultan
01-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Buzz said it was man defense and Trent left his man.

But apparently Gato knows what Buzz is going to say in the film room. :rolleyes:

Goose85
01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Great job by Derrick Wilson. Buzz said after the game that Wilson had a death in the family and missed 2.5 days of practice. He really stepped up handling the offense, and played solid defense.
Buzz also said he has told the team, Junior and Derrick that Derrick kicks Junior's butt every day in practice, but he still goes with Junior as a senior leader. Tells Derrick that in two years when there are guys playing better than him on the team, he will get that same benefit of the doubt. I like Buzz referring to his coaching this team two years down the road and how he develops loyalty within the team.

I think in the last 1.2 seconds MU should have had 5 guys spread out at the three line, and nobody inside the paint. Wilson looked to me like he was guarding the area where they expected the pass, ball side wing with someone coming off a screen for a 3. Can't believe someone on the team didn't recognize the guy at the top of the key.

That aside, MU played another tough gritty game that will be their calling card in this years Big East. Vander, Juan, Jamil, Todd all hitting from three. Hopefully that breeds confidence. D. Wilson's confidence with his play has to be growing.

Bottom line 3-0 in the Big East having played UConn, G-town and Pitt on the road. I'm very happy.

The Reptile
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM
It wasnt wilson. He had strong side wing responsibilities and was positioned just fine. It was lockett that got caught sleeping by guarding the basket as opposesd to the perimeter. Inexcusable for a senior "leader."

D Wilson played huge---does a great job within his limited skill set and athletic ability!!

Real solid team win!

What limited skill set? He's only a sophomore and is still maturing. Buzz says he's better than Junior in practice and is the best natural leader on the team. And don't forget that he was recruited to play D1 football as well as basketball so he must have be pretty solid athletically. I'm bit buying the spin that he's not that good because he doesn't score for us. He will grow just like Zar, Jimmy and others before them.

TheSultan
01-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I think in the last 1.2 seconds MU should have had 5 guys spread out at the three line, and nobody inside the paint.

No that's really not how you should play that. The way it should have been played is fine, because Trent didn't execute. Just spreading everyone out on the line leaves a bunch of gaps and no way to get a hand in anyone's face.

Markedman
01-12-2013, 03:06 PM
There is no reason to have anyone under the basket....or for Gardner to be in the game there...it was messed up

No that's really not how you should play that. The way it should have been played is fine, because Trent didn't execute. Just spreading everyone out on the line leaves a bunch of gaps and no way to get a hand in anyone's face.

TheSultan
01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
There is no reason to have anyone under the basket....or for Gardner to be in the game there...it was messed up

Well OK.

I will grant you that. But you don't guard it by simply having people spread out at the three point line.

Goose85
01-12-2013, 03:12 PM

Starting out at the three line doesn't mean you don't move to cover the offensive players. It just means you don't even start playing D on your man until he gets beyond the three line. 1.2 seconds gives no time for a catch in front of the three line and getting a shot off. To me it makes no sense to even cover anyone inside the 3 as they can't tie unless they shoot a 3. Spread at the 3 line, and cover the man once he gets there. Why do you need 3 guys in the lane area on defense at that point?

bleedbluegold03
01-12-2013, 03:19 PM
ummm guys...we won...

Goose85
01-12-2013, 03:21 PM
ummm guys...we won...

You got that right. 3-0 in the Big East, and depending on losses, we very well may move into the top 25.
Great game by a tough and deep group of players.

MUAlphaBangura
01-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Starting out at the three line doesn't mean you don't move to cover the offensive players. It just means you don't even start playing D on your man until he gets beyond the three line. 1.2 seconds gives no time for a catch in front of the three line and getting a shot off. To me it makes no sense to even cover anyone inside the 3 as they can't tie unless they shoot a 3. Spread at the 3 line, and cover the man once he gets there. Why do you need 3 guys in the lane area on defense at that point?

I agree. Even if we did allow someone to catch inside the 3 point line, with 1.2 seconds they couldn't make a pass for a shot. If they caught the ball right next to the basket, time still runs out before the ball goes thru the net. Disappointed that Buzz didn't call a timeout for some learning.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-12-2013, 03:23 PM
What limited skill set? He's only a sophomore and is still maturing. Buzz says he's better than Junior in practice and is the best natural leader on the team. And don't forget that he was recruited to play D1 football as well as basketball so he must have be pretty solid athletically. I'm bit buying the spin that he's not that good because he doesn't score for us. He will grow just like Zar, Jimmy and others before them.

Tough as nails kid dont get me wrong and I don't want to turn this into a bash derrick post bc the kid played his guts out today. But to respond to your post, he doesn't have the ability to create for others and isn't the most explosive guy (I should have used explosive as opposed to athletic although athleticism is sometimes defined by your run/jump abilities) and I think you would have to agree with that. He's got a very high floor but also a very low ceiling imo. He will be a very nice back up pg for this program as come Januaryish next year I would anticipate Duane Wilson taking PG responsibilities.

Phantom Warrior
01-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Derrick may very well end up being the nominal starter next year, but the real issue is mpg. Otule starts, but Davante gets on average 50% more mpg than CO. Juan starts ahead of Jamil, but most games, Jamil plays more minutes.

I expect Duane Wilson will end up getting more minutes than Derrick during the conference portion of the schedule. He is simply too good of an offensive player to keep on the bench.

As for Derrick, those who think he will suddenly turn into a decent scoring threat are being incredibly optimistic. He has not shown an ability to score at the D-1 level, and I highly doubt that will change next year.

TheSultan
01-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Derrick may very well end up being the nominal starter next year, but the real issue is mpg. Otule starts, but Davante gets on average 50% more mpg than CO. Juan starts ahead of Jamil, but most games, Jamil plays more minutes.

I expect Duane Wilson will end up getting more minutes than Derrick during the conference portion of the schedule. He is simply too good of an offensive player to keep on the bench.

As for Derrick, those who think he will suddenly turn into a decent scoring threat are being incredibly optimistic. He has not shown an ability to score at the D-1 level, and I highly doubt that will change next year.

Derrick Wilson scored a bunch in high school. Don't expect that Duane can step in as a freshman and provide instant offense. You are bound to be disappointed.

ziggysfryboy
01-12-2013, 07:54 PM

I think he is just now getting the green light from buzz to start shooting. wasn't he "not allowed" to shoot last year?

01-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Derrick Wilson scored a bunch in high school. Don't expect that Duane can step in as a freshman and provide instant offense. You are bound to be disappointed.

Not saying Duane will light the league on fire, but I think he is far better suited to have an early impact as a scorer than Derrick. Derrick scored in HS largely because of his strength/size ratio. He played like a running back, scoring through contact. Guys at that level simply didn't have the strength to stop him. At this level, everyone is bigger and stronger, making it harder. Duane is a better perimeter player and has more natural scoring moves.

I still think if we get a scoring spark from a freshman it will more likely be Jajuan Johnson, and if any of the recruiting gurus (Ted, IWB) want to correct me on this they certainly know more than I do about these guys coming in, but I just feel Duane's skillset is better suited to acclimate quickly to D1 ball.

IWB
01-13-2013, 10:16 AM
I agree with what you are saying Brew.

The one thing to point out here is defense. Yes, all of the incoming freshmen are talented enough to have an impact right away, and they are all capable of scoring. This year they have bad games where they have 6 points and explosive games where they have 35, but in all games, they are defending high school kids. The difference at the next level is can they be a lock-down defender?

My prediction for the freshman that will have the biggest scoring impact is simple, it will be the one who plays the best defense, because whoever does that, will get the most minutes on the floor leading to the most scoring opportunities.

So don't look at it as a Duane vs Derrick at the point, or Dawson vs Johnson at the 2, look at who can defend on the other end. Is Duane a better defender that Derrick? Is Dawson a better defender than Johnson? No one will know until they defend D1 players when they arrive next summer.

TheSultan
01-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Not saying Duane will light the league on fire, but I think he is far better suited to have an early impact as a scorer than Derrick. Derrick scored in HS largely because of his strength/size ratio. He played like a running back, scoring through contact. Guys at that level simply didn't have the strength to stop him. At this level, everyone is bigger and stronger, making it harder. Duane is a better perimeter player and has more natural scoring moves.

I still think if we get a scoring spark from a freshman it will more likely be Jajuan Johnson, and if any of the recruiting gurus (Ted, IWB) want to correct me on this they certainly know more than I do about these guys coming in, but I just feel Duane's skillset is better suited to acclimate quickly to D1 ball.

I don't disagree with you at all. I just think we put way too many expectations for performance on our incoming freshmen, and we always seem to be disappointed.

My favorite example of that was before Vander and Jamail's sophomore year. Scoopers were ragging on Vander all off season, but then talking about how exiting it was going to be to have Jamail. Just because one was "known" and the other "unknown" it shaped everyone's expectations.

01-13-2013, 11:39 AM
I agree, Sultan, we usually do have unrealistic expectations. Especially next year when we are returning Vander, Davante, Derrick, Jamil, Juan, and potentially Todd and Chris, all of whom will get significant minutes if they return. McKay, as a junior, will also be leaned upon a lot more than I would guess the freshmen will be. That's a team that would go 8 deep, not to mention any improvement from Steve and Jamal. The freshmen will have their work cut out for them to break the rotation.

Though my guess is one of those guys doesn't return, but that's still likely a solid 8-9 man rotation before you start dishing out minutes to any of the new boys.

AlexJesswein
01-13-2013, 04:33 PM
We were spoiled by James, McNeal and Matthews.

kneelb4zerg
01-13-2013, 04:46 PM
We were spoiled by James, McNeal and Matthews.

We also didn't have many reasonable alternatives when they were freshmen.