PDA

View Full Version : Bob Knight...wow

MUBasketball
01-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Who else was watching the end of the Kentucky/Vandy game? How can one of the best coaches of all time be so completely clueless?

kneelb4zerg
01-10-2013, 10:38 PM
He doesn't give a **** about anything. Probably drunk too.

MUBasketball
01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Drunk is the only explanation that makes sense because a very elementary basketball concept was completely baffling him.

Mucrisco
01-10-2013, 11:41 PM
What happened?

MUBasketball
01-11-2013, 07:33 AM
What happened?

EDIT: Words don't do it justice....so here you go! This is unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DOOETw9zCA

DCwarrior
01-11-2013, 07:55 AM
It was bad. I kind of felt embarrassed for him. If ESPN feels obligated to use him, he should be in the studio to give some analysis during halftimes. He should not be doing play-by-play.

TheSultan
01-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Jesus.

And that really was an inexcusable error by the refs. It really wasn't even close.

Mucrisco
01-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Wow, that was too bad. I hope he's not losing it, because he really knows his stuff. He's actually one of my favorites announcers to listen to, was one of the best clinics I've been to, and I hated him when he was coaching.

Gato78
01-11-2013, 08:12 AM
All I could think was dementia.

MU/Panther
01-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Bob Knight does a great job on ESPN, but that was odd.

GOMU1104
01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Bob Knight does a great job on ESPN, but that was odd.

Man I couldn't disagree more. I think he's awful...and I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with his health, honestly.

He's rarely prepared, doesn't know the player's names, not really informed at all.

lougrant
01-11-2013, 08:54 AM
I'd guess dementia, too. Doesn't drink, according to Feinstein's 'Season on the Brink.'

TheSultan
01-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Man I couldn't disagree more. I think he's awful...and I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with his health, honestly.

He's rarely prepared, doesn't know the player's names, not really informed at all.

I think when he speaks tactically about the game, he is great. However I do agree with you.

That entire sequence reminds me of the old man that accidently hits the gas pedal instead of the brake and plows into a crowd of people. I'm sure Knight is normally fine, but when the "sensory inputs" got to be too great, he just shut down.

MUBasketball
01-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Agreed, I think Knight is awful as an analyst. Not prepared at all, speaks in broad generalities. Stealing money IMO.

CaribouJim
01-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Word is that he does next to no pregame preparation and depending on the time of the year and game time as well as location, he's halfway out the door at the close of the game to go hunting with the locals. He does come up with some nuggets throughout the game, but IMO, he mails it in for the most part.

Mucrisco
01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Personally, I don't care if he knows the player's name, the team's history etc. I don't listen to that stuff anyway. He gives great insight to strategy, knows how to motivate, and has tremendous basketball knowledge. I must say, I haven't been able to see him this year though, so I hope he's not losing it.

IWB
01-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Guys like that belong in the studio - they can break down the game like its nobody's business, and you really learn from watching them explain things. But on the call of the game, not so much. Similar to John Madden - down the stretch the guy was so hard to listen too, but when he would really analyze things, he was great. I would rather have had him break down the previous play than question how the bench felt when Gilbert Brown sats on it.

MU/Panther
01-12-2013, 06:49 PM

I don't disagree with any of that. I guess I was talking in terms of X & O's.