PDA

View Full Version : 2013-2014 Schedule

MayorCK
01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Something new to talk about, rather than our usual conversations as of late:

I was told by a very good source tonight that a date with Minnesota is looking very good for next season's schedule. I love the idea. Short road trip, and The Barn is a cool arena. I was also told that it's not looking like Marquette is going to happen. I suppose we have Green Bay to thank for that. Purdue is another possibility. I suggested Michigan to my source, and they said if we could get a check for $100,000, it would be a great place to play. I know for sure that we Klotsche Krazies would love to get back to Ann Arbor after the fun we had last weekend. Expect another away game in the NYC area (Manhattan, Hofstra, St. John's, etc.) to give JO a game close to home his senior year.

Non-conference opponents locked in as of now:

at Davidson
at Tennessee Tech
vs. Northern Iowa

Expected opponents:

at Minnesota
at Wisconsin
a MAC team or two (Buffalo was specifically mentioned, perhaps NIU series is extended? I would prefer Central or Eastern Michigan.)
a NYC opponent

My wish list:

Michigan
Purdue (they are looking for teams that they'll give money to come there, and we've beat them)
No DePaul (They lose no-one from this year's team.)
No D-II teams, I'd rather play Chicago State for a "win" game.
A thanksgiving break tourney vs. Top 150 teams.

What would you like to see?

MU/Panther
01-08-2013, 11:24 AM
BracketBuster return team will be at Milwaukee.

Why is the Marquette series not going to happen?

MayorCK
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
BracketBuster return team will be at Milwaukee.

Why is the Marquette series not going to happen?

When I asked my source about Marquette being on the schedule, they responded, "It's not looking like it." I didn't ask them to elaborate.

MU/Panther
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Well, that is good news for my wife and I. It always puts me in a weird spot.

I know moving forward for Marquette, the new league will be great. The loss of ND, Syracuse & L'ville hurts, so MU needs to make that up by H/H series with other Power 5 leagues.

BrewCityItalian
01-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Locks

at Davidson
at Tennessee Tech
vs. Northern Iowa

Expected opponents:

at Minnesota ( ye please )
at Wisconsin ( yes)
a MAC team or two (Central and Eastern please)
a NYC opponent ( alright im cool with that )

My wish list possibilities and yes all on the road :

Michigan ( yes please , pretty please, # 1 on my list, can schedule them and eastern michigan , their only 8 miles apart )
Eastern Michigan
Iowa State
Cincy
Louisville
Dayton
Purdue (they are looking for teams that they'll give money to come there, and we've beat them)
Northwestern
Oakland
Iowa ( can play them and get paid )
Indiana
Creighton
Michigan State
Illinois
Butler ( at hinkle )
DePaul (Yes please, 75,000 dollars plus i heard they pay)
No D-II teams,
A thanksgiving break tourney vs. Top 150 teams.
Bradley

I would rather the program play a bunch of tough road games, and get paid and play quality teams, which will help SOS and hopefully recruiting. Help the program get paid, I would rather play teams that are good, than soft ass home games against Mary and Ohio Dominican

seriously , playing puffs at home does nothing for this program , you can have a couple non conference home games against N illinois and Chicago state,, and the rest can be road games, get paid, and put the money in the new arena trust fund....take all these games on the road now,, future games at home,, that way maybe by than were back at the Cell and can play the big games their, or at a new arena...

playing puffs does nothing for us...build this program up by playing tough opponents, just as boise state has done in football, and gonzaga has in basketball...

BrewCityItalian
01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
all that really matters is winning the conference, who cares about outside the conference, the horizon is only getting 1 autobid and thats it. so lets get paid..

Jimmy Lemke
01-13-2013, 11:08 AM
We're not Presbyterian for ****'s sake. Mid-majors will still come into Milwaukee to play. And you need to have SOME good games to sell to fans or else the already abysmal season-ticket numbers will get worse.

As far as the schedule beyond, I've heard that UNI is happy to extend the series. If we're playing MAC teams, I'd like to see Akron, Kent State or Ohio. BGSU, Miami and EMU would be second-tier for me on possible MAC games.

MU/Panther
01-14-2013, 08:12 AM
MAC schools are good to have, because people have heard of those schools. Alot of that reason is FBS football.

Jimmy Lemke
01-14-2013, 08:20 PM
MAC schools are good to have, because people have heard of those schools. Alot of that reason is FBS football.

No doubt about that. As odd as it is, more people around here have heard of Ball State than Illinois State.

MayorCK
01-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Italian, you can take Iowa off of your list. They were mentioned in the same discussion by my source as a solid "No."

MU/Panther
01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Keep in mind BrewCity Italian, Ohio Dom & Mary was a result of Butler leaving to the Atl-10 in May. The Panthers team did put those dates they needed for home games out there, but the dates didn't match for schools.

MU/Panther
01-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Milwaukee is looking for an MTE, as well as 2 H/H. Open to all options.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
When I asked my source about Marquette being on the schedule, they responded, "It's not looking like it." I didn't ask them to elaborate.

Take this with a grain of salt, but it comes down to numbers. With the Big East ceasing to exist possibly as soon as next year, our non-con schedule becomes that much more important. We will keep the non-con tourney (4 games) and I fully expect annual home-and-homes with Wisconsin and Notre Dame. I'm pretty confident the league will try to get a regular challenge game (ala the Big East/SEC or B1G/ACC Challenges) and Marquette seems to be taking a shine to having a big neutral site game (Jimmy V/Carrier Classic types) so that accounts for 2 more games and 8 in total.

That leaves Marquette with 5 games to play with. Of those 5 I expect we'll try to get at least one more home-and-home series with a high-major to ensure we have at least 2 high-major road games every year, one from the UW/ND alternating series and one from the Challenge/HM H&H series. The problem is we need some "guaranteed wins" on the schedule. That means buy games. If Milwaukee or Green Bay were willing to come to the BC as buy games, I'm sure we'd be interested. But I don't think either program would sacrifice their pride and not demand a home game at least every once every 4 years, and I don't think we're willing to take that risk considering UW and MU both lost at GB in recent years and we had the close call at the Cell. Those last 4 games have to be penciled in as wins and we only get that at the BC.

Also...from what I've heard, it would be tough to do one without the other. If we have a series with Milwaukee, we have to have a series with Green Bay. I think it's easier to just say no to both series than commit 2 of our remaining 4 games to the in-state programs.

lutzow10
01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
why would you have to have a series with Green Bay? MU and UWM are the ones in the same city. No offense to Green Bay but **** them. haha. They can deal. I think that having a cross town series once a year is a good gimmick to get casual UWM and MU fans to a game. I honestly think that the game being at the Bradley Center every year isn't the worst thing in the world either. I mean for one its not like it is somewhere else in the state or country, its literally the same distance either way. Also, It would get UWM more exposure. Yes, with the way that we are playing at the moment, the next few years might be blow outs, but once we get our stuff together, if the games are somewhat competitive it would be a great way to get the city of Milwaukee more interested in basketball in the city of Milwaukee. Get fans that never go to UWM games interested. It only benefits the entire city of Milwaukee to have a good Milwaukee College basketball fan base.

MayorCK
01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Marquette won't tell Green Bay "**** you" for no other reason than that Brian Wardle is a Marquette Hall of Famer. I also know that Coach Jeter would never take a annual buy game at the BC. He'd be more likely to continue the DePaul series under that scenario. At least we can turn that into a home game by getting 15-20 fans to the game.

The series vs. Marquette would have had the most intrigue during the Pearl era, and the classless Tom Crean was scared to lose, so it didn't happen until all of Pearl's players were gone. I don't care if they are across the street. We shouldn't buy a wooden nickel from them any more than we should buy one from Madison. I used to think the way Lutzow did about the game, but after being at 3 of the 4 games in the previous deal, I don't think that kind of interest is there. None of the games sold out. The BC maybe gets half full, and the game at the Cell drew just over 7,000. We've had more for reg. season games against GB and Butler.

Bottom line is, if Buzz were to go with the deal that was being talked about prior to this season of the rolling 2 for 1, you have to take that. It appears Green Bay's win has killed that idea. If so, so be it.

There are plenty of teams we can play without hamstringing ourselves.

MU/Panther
01-17-2013, 10:17 AM
The BC is always way more than half-full in paid attendance. Last time the Panthers played at MU, it was about 15,000.

MayorCK
01-18-2013, 01:41 AM
Those aren't asses in the seats. I was at the Green Bay-Marquette game two years ago at the BC. Announced attendance 15,000-something. Asses in seats? Maybe 3,500. Last year when we were there, maybe 7000-7500.

MU/Panther
01-18-2013, 07:49 AM
You must not be following me over the years. Yes, I know attendance numbers is paid crowds. As I said in the last post.

The lower bowl is mostly full with "asses" in the seats for MU games. So, that is about 6,000 to 7,000 right there.

MayorCK
07-25-2013, 06:55 PM
FYI, I ran into BMo at the Klotsche this afternoon and he dropped a schedule nugget on me. There will be a date with Bradley in December.

MU/Panther
07-26-2013, 02:04 PM
FYI, I ran into BMo at the Klotsche this afternoon and he dropped a schedule nugget on me. There will be a date with Bradley in December.Bradley is Dec. 7th. It's a result of Loyola vs Bradley Bracketbuster not being played as Loyola is now in the MVC. Milwaukee will start at Loyola on Nov. 8th and Davidison on Nov. 11th followed by a three gamee weekend tourney at Northern Illinois on Nov. 15-17. DePaul looks to be the home opener on Nov. 19.

lutzow10
07-26-2013, 10:00 PM
So is there going to be another game down in the carolinas to pair up with the davidson game? Im guessing no based on the dates before and after it

MU/Panther
07-27-2013, 07:03 AM
So is there going to be another game down in the carolinas to pair up with the davidson game? Im guessing no based on the dates before and after it They tried to get a game with one of the four ACC schools. I'm sure dates don't match up.

lutzow10
07-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Dang. That sucks. Oh well

MayorCK
07-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Bradley is Dec. 7th. It's a result of Loyola vs Bradley Bracketbuster not being played as Loyola is now in the MVC. Milwaukee will start at Loyola on Nov. 8th and Davidson on Nov. 11th followed by a three game weekend tourney at Northern Illinois on Nov. 15-17. DePaul looks to be the home opener on Nov. 19.

Any idea who the teams in that tourney are besides NIU? I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't a second game for the Davidson trip, but what can you do?

Jimmy Lemke
07-28-2013, 03:57 PM
James Madison is in the NIU trip.

MU/Panther
07-28-2013, 04:12 PM
The team will be in New Orleans in December, hosted by Tulane. Two games in the Tulane Classic.

MayorCK
07-28-2013, 04:38 PM
That's very interesting.

Jeremy Lancour
08-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Looking something like this so far.

Home
Bradley
DePaul
Northern Iowa

Away
Davidson
Kansas City
Loyola
Northern Illinois
Tennessee Tech
Tulane
Wisconsin

Neutral
James Madison
Southeast Missouri State
San Jose State

MU/Panther
08-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Are you just coping the other board? I don't know where SE Missouri State came from? Havn't seen any link.

lutzow10
08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
So what if he is. He is trying to contribute and nobody had posted that updated list here yet. And yeah, where did SE Missouri State come from. I haven't seen anything about that either.

MU/Panther
08-15-2013, 06:42 PM
So what if he is. He is trying to contribute and nobody had posted that updated list here yet. And yeah, where did SE Missouri State come from. I haven't seen anything about that either. Meaning alot of that might not even be true. I'm sorry, I don't carry about the copy, but two people call it out on the other board that some of the teams might just be rumors. (which wasn't said in the post.)

The Tulane is from me, but that doesn't mean the Panthers are playing Tulane. It's 4 teams and just 2 games in the Tulane Tourney. The only thing I heard from Amanda Braun is the Panthers are going to New Orleans.

lutzow10
08-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Sorry. I just dont like discouraging people that are trying to get involved in the forum. But yeah a disclaimer would be nice.

lutzow10
08-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Im guessing that we are still looking for a game or two. Is that why its taking so long for us to release the schedule?

MU/Panther
08-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Oakland is only HL team to put out a schedule so far.

Jimmy Lemke
08-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Oakland is the only one who hasn't been in flux for two years now. I'm not surprised.

DKelly28
08-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Personally, I like the schedule so far. There are less non-D1 games than last year, which is a far cry from Youngstown's schedule. And if you can't get more BCS schools to give you buy games, then don't go the other direction and schedule nothing but cupcakes and they haven't done that either. Yes, it could be stronger but I wouldn't sleep on schools like Northeastern, James Madison, UMKC, Bradley and even San Jose State. Then obviously you have the games at Loyola, Davidson and Wisconsin and at home vs. Northern Iowa and DePaul. There are only a couple games that look like they are going to be snoozers and they are away from Milwaukee.

Jimmy Lemke
08-24-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm so very tired of the Freak board. There's no looking up anymore.

DKelly28
08-25-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm so very tired of the Freak board. There's no looking up anymore.

I would have to agree with that. The only thing I really post on there anymore is updates on the women's basketball schedule.

BBF
08-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi folks. Glad to find an alternative to the endless sad bastard music over at the Freak board.

Speaking of scheduling, I understand we will be picking up a non-D1 home opponent in November to fill out the non-con. I'm guessing that game will be at the Klotsche. It's not ideal, but I think the non-con schedule is good otherwise. I'm pleased that there are multiple attractive road trip opportunities in our non-con schedule. I'm also pleased that the game at GB is on a Saturday again this year. One of the best things about being in the H League is reachable road games, especially on weekends.

Can't wait for Halloween night -- we are not that far from Panther hoops again. After the way last season went I am eager to see all the new faces and watch the team bounce back.

MU/Panther
09-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Rough Draft Schedule--still working on times and sites.

Thur. Oct. 31 Exhibition game – Opponent is still pending, likely an area college.

Fri., Nov. 8 at Loyola
Mon., Nov. 11 at Davidson
Fri., Nov. 15 vs. San Jose State at NIU
Sat., Nov. 16 vs. James Madison at NIU
Sun. Nov. 17 at Northern Illinois
Tues., Nov. 19 DEPAUL
Sat., Nov. 23 at Tennessee Tech
Tues., Nov. 26 JUDSON University (NAIA)
Sat., Nov. 30 at UMKC

Tues., Dec. 3 NORTHERN IOWA
Sat., Dec. 7 BRADLEY
Wed., Dec. 11 at Wisconsin
Sat., Dec. 21 vs. Northeastern at Tulane
Sun. Dec. 22 vs. Alabama State at Tulane

Thurs. Jan. 2 YOUNGSTOWN STATE
Sat. Jan. 4 CLEVELAND STATE
Wed. Jan. 8 at Oakland
Sun. Jan. 12 GRENN BAY
Thurs. Jan. 16 at UIC
Sat. Jan. 18 at Valparaiso
Tues. Jan. 21 at Wright State
Fri. Jan. 24 DETROIT
Thurs. Jan. 30 WRIGHT STATE at Klotsche Center

Sun. Feb. 2 OAKLAND likely at Klotsche Center
Sat. Feb. 8 at Green Bay
Sat. Feb. 15 VALPARAISO
Thurs. Feb. 20 at Youngstown State
Sat. Feb. 22 at Cleveland State
Tues. Feb. 25 UIC
Thurs. Feb. 27 at Detroit

Jimmy Lemke
09-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Rough Draft Schedule--still working on times and sites.

Thur. Oct. 31 Exhibition game – Opponent is still pending, likely an area college.

Fri., Nov. 8 at Loyola
Mon., Nov. 11 at Davidson
Fri., Nov. 15 vs. San Jose State at NIU
Sat., Nov. 16 vs. James Madison at NIU
Sun. Nov. 17 at Northern Illinois
Tues., Nov. 19 DEPAUL
Sat., Nov. 23 at Tennessee Tech
Tues., Nov. 26 JUDSON University (NAIA)
Sat., Nov. 30 at UMKC

Tues., Dec. 3 NORTHERN IOWA
Sat., Dec. 7 BRADLEY
Wed., Dec. 11 at Wisconsin
Sat., Dec. 21 vs. Northeastern at Tulane
Sun. Dec. 22 vs. Alabama State at Tulane

Thurs. Jan. 2 YOUNGSTOWN STATE
Sat. Jan. 4 CLEVELAND STATE
Wed. Jan. 8 at Oakland
Sun. Jan. 12 GRENN BAY
Thurs. Jan. 16 at UIC
Sat. Jan. 18 at Valparaiso
Tues. Jan. 21 at Wright State
Fri. Jan. 24 DETROIT
Thurs. Jan. 30 WRIGHT STATE at Klotsche Center

Sun. Feb. 2 OAKLAND likely at Klotsche Center
Sat. Feb. 8 at Green Bay
Sat. Feb. 15 VALPARAISO
Thurs. Feb. 20 at Youngstown State
Sat. Feb. 22 at Cleveland State
Tues. Feb. 25 UIC
Thurs. Feb. 27 at Detroit

Buddy, we posted the schedule last week:

http://pantheru.com/2013/09/the-schedule-for-mens-basketball-is-here/

MU/Panther
09-11-2013, 12:42 PM
I saw it on your twitter! I waited a week or so for people to read it on your site. Plus, I had it up (as I'm sure you saw) on your premium page on Aug. 17th.

Not too sure if others have seen it, since there is no feed back anywhere. I'm thinking mid-September is long enough.

BBF
09-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Minus the unfortunate Judson game it's a very credible non-con schedule. I do wish the Judson game was being played at the Klotsche instead of one (or two) of the league games. As problematic as the Klotsche was the advantage we had there was schedule control. But only for league games; many non-con opponents simply would not have been willing to play us there.

I like the Cell and always have. It's a great basketball arena. But in an ideal world it's not where UWM should play. Andy Geiger was right that college basketball should be played on the college campus. But that assumes an adequate facility, and the Klotsche certainly was not. The Catch 22 situation continues. The Cell is too far from campus. The Klotsche isn't a D1 facility. So it goes.

At least by going back downtown we will have true pre-and post-game gatherings again. As marginal as the Klotsche was as a facility, losing those fan gatherings was even worse for the program in my opinion.

MU/Panther
09-12-2013, 03:47 PM
BBF- Many things to touch on what you said.
- Judson game was going to be a D1 school that pulled out of the game. Panthers needed to fill the date. Looking at other mid-major schools schedule, many are playing 2 to 3 non-D1 games, so 1 game is pretty good.

-Is Andy Geiger correct? If the Panthers had a nice on-campus arena, many might not want to come during the work week, since it's another 15 minutes more from downtown and another added on 15 minutes heading home.

- I'm with you 100% on the last point, to have the gathering areas again for Panther fans!

Jimmy Lemke
09-12-2013, 04:11 PM
The ideal situation is the basketball home of Joe Rice's thesis, which would frankly be too expensive for us to work out at this time.

The practice facility is most important. Build it right, and we'll recruit the type of team that draws in fans. Draw in fans, we draw in the money where we can be serious about Joe's thesis down the road.

BBF
09-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Jimmy, if you are referring to the suggested riverside facility near North Avenue, I agree with you -- that would be phenomenal. Parking and traffic ingress would present some challenges but the dining/streetlife infrastructure is already there (in fact it would be better than downtown in many respects) and the location strikes a great balance between City and Campus. But it's also no more than a dream at this point, as we know.

I am all for a good practice facility but I am less sanguine than you are about its effect on recruiting. It would help, no question, but independently I doubt it would have as much effect as moving to the Valley or the A10 would have even if we changed nothing else. JMHO.

**panther (sorry, nobody can legitimately be a fan of both those teams so I'm just striking out the "mu" part ;) ) I think the argument that fans won't come to campus is bogus. Give them a good team to watch in a credible facility and they will come. There are 100,000 UWM alumni in the greater metro area. Every one of those people knows how to get to the fashionable upper east side, and most college alumni love the nostalgia of being back on campus. The only issue is what I mentioned before -- a lack of dining/streetlife infrastructure. That's what makes the North Avenue area so appealing. Downtown certainly has a much better environment in that respect than Downer Avenue north of Kenwood provided last year. But while that helps, it's not necessary. Back in the days before I came to my senses and gave up on childish things I was an MU fan too, and I went to many games at the then Arena. In those days the surrounding area was terrible -- desolate almost. The bars and restaurants nearby were diners, dives and strip joints for the most part. But the fans came anyway. Winning does that.

Jimmy Lemke
09-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Haha I dunno if you're one to talk on the whole divided allegiances topic, Fran :)

I think, more than anything, what struck most people out with the Klotsche wasn't the surrounding amenities - though they complained - it was the putrid "college" environment inside the Klotsche Center. The arena itself is no different than high school gyms at Homestead, West Allis Central, Racine Case or elsewhere. I think most people would have dealt with driving elsewhere if the arena were great on the inside.

Of course, you're right. The winning team is what gets most people out.

MU/Panther
09-12-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm not divided, I'm 100% to both!

Your right BBF, winning is the cure for everything. I just heard many last season not wanting to go to the KC, because it's a longer drive. Many should've just said the losing and playing at the KC doesn't help.

MU/Panther
09-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Back to the schedule, a liitle bit odd with a total of 13 home games. I do like the break they have for exams and then the break of not playing any games around Christmas. I don't want players to burn out before conference play.

Jimmy Lemke
09-12-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm happiest about the lack of a distraction at the end of the conference season. In 2011 we were on a roll and didn't care for the Buffalo game. I wonder if, in other years, we stumbled because of the BB game.

Very glad to see it off the schedule. This is a solid one considering all the dates we didn't have due to WCD scheduling. Next year should be better.

lutzow10
09-13-2013, 09:30 AM
So are we priority for scheduling once next season starts are will we still have to compete with disney on ice and such?

BBF
09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Unless we owned the facility we will always have to compete with other scheduling at the Cell. There has been persistent chatter about whether the University should buy the Cell to solve that problem. I have mixed feelings about it. As I said before, it's in the wrong place. And while it's a great basketball arena from a sightlines perspective you can't change the fact it's an aging facility with potentially immense maintenance costs. And any building that old presents serious challenges. Let me give an example. I was there a few weeks ago with some department personnel and one of them was suggesting places for some LED signage. Great idea -- except there are no power outlets or cable channels anywhere near those places. You either retrofit at great cost or end up running cables along floors and railings, which looks terrible. Remarkably enough, sports arenas built in 1950 did not make provision for fiber optics or assume that you might need power outlets at every possible location.

I'm all for nostalgia too, and as I said, I think the Cell is a very fine basketball arena from the standpoint of sightlines, but I fear that the University pouring money into the Cell would not be unlike pouring money into the Klotsche. In both cases there is a definite element of putting lipstick on a pig.

The one thing that militates for the idea of the University owning the Cell is that it's the only realistic alternative I can see over the course of the next 5-10 years for a credible facility, despite its drawbacks.

BBF
09-13-2013, 10:03 AM
By the way, I agree with **panther. You can be 100% for more than one team. It's no different than how I feel about my two sons. They are different in many ways but I love them both. And trust me Jimmy, if some day your kid goes to UWGB, you will have a Phoenix sticker somewhere on your car, and be proud of it, too.

That said, it's just completely irrational to be a fan of both Milwaukee and **. That's like supporting the Jedi and the Empire. :cool:

Jimmy Lemke
09-14-2013, 11:06 AM
I dunno man, that's kind of how I see Madison and Milwaukee. Marquette's never figuratively held down this university unless you consider not scheduling us as such.

UW-Madison, however, has a long and storied history of holding Milwaukee down. I point to J. Martin Klotsche's books "UWM: An Urban University" and "Confessions of an Educator," both of which contain many examples of Bucky Badger getting in the way of progress with Milwaukee.

Most of that has to do with the fact that Madison jockeys for public funding with us and Marquette does not, but still. Even past the years of Klotsche, most recently UW-Madison fought very hard to get the new School of Freshwater Sciences and the School of Public Health.

The perfect example of why UW-Madison is no friend to UW-Milwaukee: when we were awarded the School of Public Health over Bucky, he cried and whined about it, then decided to rebrand the School of Medicine as the School of Medicine and Public Health - it's an obvious move to undermine and cut into our academic reputation. Get this: the "Public Health" classes taught at UW-Madison aren't even accredited.

Anyways, that's how I look at the UW-Madison situation. Klotsche said it best: "Madison never wanted Milwaukee to become the Michigan State to their Michigan." Consistent meddling from the capitol has impeded progress at our alma mater for 75 years, ever since the first moves when they delayed turning UWM into a full university for more than a decade.

As for my son, I sure hope he does well enough in school that UWGB isn't a serious option. :)

BBF
09-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Every public university administrator fights for every dollar, that's the nature of things and it won't change. The only solution is political, so blame the legislators and the executives and the regents for the past, not the administrators. But you also have to recognize history -- and how things can change. Madison has always been and always will be the "flagship," and there's nothing wrong with that. What has changed is that Milwaukee, once essentially a teacher's college, is many, many leagues beyond that now. But old perceptions die hard, like the ludicrous continuing perception that UWM is a "commuter" school. Now we are easily and obviously the second most important University in the state. No offense meant to Marquette. It's a nice regional school for upper middle class suburban kids that contributes a lot to the area. But it has nothing like the breadth of mission and reach of impact of Milwaukee's great public urban University as an economic engine for the region and state. (Frankly, without Al McGuire Marquette is John Carroll. That's in Cleveland, not that anybody knows or cares. They should light candles to that Irish imp every night at Gesu. A good lesson about how athletic success can create public perception about universities.)

I don't disagree at all that the historical preference for dollars going to Madison has handicapped our athletic programs, largely because we were never favored with credible facilities. And now, unfortunately, there are essentially no public dollars being devoted to athletic facilities at all. So we will need to find another way.

All that said, I'm 100% Badger, 100% Panther and have no cognitive dissonance about that at all. **panther, otoh, is clearly suffering from bipolar disorder. That's just a sickness, man.

Jimmy Lemke
09-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Aaaaaanyways, to me this is still a decent schedule. Home clips against UNI and DePaul are fairly decent, especially since DePaul looks to be much better this year and UNI is always strong.

MU/Panther
09-17-2013, 02:11 PM
The wave schedule came out and thye have home game Dec. 7th. So, the Bradley game gets pushed to the KC.

lutzow10
09-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I honestly don't understand how they just get the dates yhey want. They should have to work with us if anything. Absolute crap!!

DKelly28
09-17-2013, 11:29 PM
http://uscellulararena.org/events/737-2014-tripoli-shrine-circus

....2nd round and Semifinals of the Horizon League Tournament are scheduled for March 7th and 8th.....

MU/Panther
09-18-2013, 08:06 AM
I honestly don't understand how they just get the dates yhey want. They should have to work with us if anything. Absolute crap!! Why is that? We don't know what the Wave contract is, plus the Panthers just signed this summer when dates for other events were locked in. Should not be a problem in the future.

DunneDeal
09-18-2013, 09:24 AM
The other thing is if the WCD/Cell would have a better team when it comes to turning over the arena. You could host the soccer game at 1pm and the Panthers at 7pm. I know the BC can do that, cause I have seen MU games at 1 with Ads games at 7 on the same day. But thats in an ideal world.

MU/Panther
09-18-2013, 03:54 PM
I would think the Panthers could play in the day and the Wave at night. Maybe they don't have the man power to turn the Cell that fast.

BBF
09-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Bradley game start at 3 on December 7 is bad. MU plays at UW at 1:15 that same afternoon. This is the problem with not controlling your playing space.

MU/Panther
09-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Bradley game start at 3 on December 7 is bad. MU plays at UW at 1:15 that same afternoon. This is the problem with not controlling your playing space.
Why are the Panthers not playing at 7pm at the KC.