PDA

View Full Version : Home Win Streak

Goose85
01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
With UConn and Georgetown to start the season, I was not sure our home win streak would continue. Per the NCAA, we currently have the 6th longest home win streak in the country. Not bad for a team that plays in the Big East.

Our home slate has Seton Hall, Prov, USF, DePaul and Pitt before Syracuse comes to town on Feb 25th.

We need to keep up that home win streak and grab a few on the road for a NCAA bid.

Rank - Team - Streak
1 Syracuse 33 games
2 Kansas 30
3 South Dakota St. 23
4 Colorado St. 22
5 Southern Miss. 20
6 Marquette 18
7 Detroit 17
Indiana 17
Notre Dame 17
10 Oregon 16

http://www.ncaa.com/content/ncaa-mens-basketball-current-win-streaks

IWB
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Home win streaks are great, but it all depends on who you have played at home. Let's take a look at the list from just this season.....

Rank - Team - Biggest wins at home this season
1 Syracuse (Rutgers, Princeton)
2 Kansas (Temple)
3 South Dakota St. (North Dakota)
4 Colorado St. (UTEP?)
5 Southern Miss. (Western Kentucky)
6 Marquette (Wisconsin, LSU, UConn, Georgetown)
7 Detroit (Green Bay, Toledo)
Indiana (North Carolina)
Notre Dame (Kentucky)
10 Oregon (Vanderbilt, Nebraska)

So, MU has had by far the toughest home schedule thus far.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Kansas almost bit it against Temple the other night... Otherwise I think ours will be dead in its tracks when Cuse comes to town, if we some how pull that one out we might be okay for a bit.

MUBasketball
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Kansas almost bit it against Temple the other night... Otherwise I think ours will be dead in its tracks when Cuse comes to town, if we some how pull that one out we might be okay for a bit.

I'd put money on losing a home game prior to Syracuse.

MU_Iceman
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
I'd put money on losing a home game prior to Syracuse.

So you think they will lose to one(or more) of...SH, PC, USF, DePaul, Pitt?? Interesting...My best advice to you would be to keep your money. That wouldn't be a smart bet to make at all. They have already played their two toughest opponents at home before Cuse, and if they lose a home game to one of the above, quite frankly, they don't deserve to be in the tournament. Which one of those powerhouses do you think they will lose at home to, if I may ask??

kneelb4zerg
01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
So you think they will lose to one(or more) of...SH, PC, USF, DePaul, Pitt?? Interesting...My best advice to you would be to keep your money. That wouldn't be a smart bet to make at all. They have already played their two toughest opponents at home before Cuse, and if they lose a home game to one of the above, quite frankly, they don't deserve to be in the tournament. Which one of those powerhouses do you think they will lose at home to, if I may ask??

You are always a trip. So dramatic. Lose to Pitt at home and they don't deserve to make the tournament?? OK THEN...

MU_Iceman
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
You are always a trip. So dramatic. Lose to Pitt at home and they don't deserve to make the tournament?? OK THEN...

0-2 Pitt?? 0-3 Pitt after Tuesday night and 0-4 Pitt after Saturday?? yes, they wouldn't deserve to be in the tournament. That would be a bad loss. You must think highly of Pitt?? Good teams beat teams at home they are better than. Period.

kneelb4zerg
01-07-2013, 07:43 PM
0-2 Pitt?? 0-3 Pitt after Tuesday night and 0-4 Pitt after Saturday?? yes, they wouldn't deserve to be in the tournament. That would be a bad loss. You must think highly of Pitt?? Good teams beat teams at home they are better than. Period.

Yeah, the Pitt team ranked 10 in Pomeroy. We aren't better than Pitt, at least not right now. How is this even an argument?

kneelb4zerg
01-07-2013, 07:55 PM
And setting aside your specious Pitt argument, I agree that we should win those other games at home that you mentioned, but if we happen to lose one of them, it probably just means we played a bad game, not that we dont deserve a bid. Stuff happens. But by all means, keep drawing dramatic conclusions from single-game outcomes.

IrwinFletcher
01-07-2013, 08:00 PM

So the loss to Green Bay didn't hurt our chances, but losing to Pitt would eliminate the chances of us making the tourney?

MUBasketball
01-07-2013, 08:11 PM

Yes, any one of those teams listed can beat Marquette. The fact that you either don't admit it or don't acknowledge it is baffling. You clearly have no respect for any of the teams listed. So MU can't lose to Pitt because they are 0-2 right now? Ummmm, OK, got it.

Ever seen Melvin & Young at DePaul? Melvin is as talented as any player in the entire conference.

Ever seen the talent on the roster at Providence? Cotton, Henton, Council.

Have you noticed how tough USF is this year? Rudd, Collins, Fitzpatrick. A lot of skill.

Blah blah blah. I could go on and on. Are these teams world beaters? No. But they all have their fair share of really talented players. They've all been inconsistent (just like Marquette has been). Who's to say against any one of those teams, they don't put it all together on that given night? If that happens, Marquette will lose.

Oh, but they can't lose at home, right? I dunno...SE Louisiana, LSU, NC Central, UConn, and Georgetown all almost came into the BC and got a win. Cincinnati is one of the top teams in the league this year (at least, they are supposed to be) and they've dropped their first two home conference games.

So, in summary, yes if I had to make a bet one way or the other, I would bet my money on losing one of those games.

warriorfan4life
01-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes, any one of those teams listed can beat Marquette. The fact that you either don't admit it or don't acknowledge it is baffling. You clearly have no respect for any of the teams listed. So MU can't lose to Pitt because they are 0-2 right now? Ummmm, OK, got it.

Ever seen Melvin & Young at DePaul? Melvin is as talented as any player in the entire conference.

Ever seen the talent on the roster at Providence? Cotton, Henton, Council.

Have you noticed how tough USF is this year? Rudd, Collins, Fitzpatrick. A lot of skill.

Blah blah blah. I could go on and on. Are these teams world beaters? No. But they all have their fair share of really talented players. They've all been inconsistent (just like Marquette has been). Who's to say against any one of those teams, they don't put it all together on that given night? If that happens, Marquette will lose.

Oh, but they can't lose at home, right? I dunno...SE Louisiana, LSU, NC Central, UConn, and Georgetown all almost came into the BC and got a win. Cincinnati is one of the top teams in the league this year (at least, they are supposed to be) and they've dropped their first two home conference games.

So, in summary, yes if I had to make a bet one way or the other, I would bet my money on losing one of those games.

I generally agree with your point, but SELA and NC Central were not winning those games. And Marquette had control of LSU game for vast majority of it, and never really looked to be in huge danger of losing. I actually think we do win all the home games before Cuse, but they are not necessarily gimmes.

MUBasketball
01-07-2013, 08:39 PM
I generally agree with your point, but SELA and NC Central were not winning those games. And Marquette had control of LSU game for vast majority of it, and never really looked to be in huge danger of losing. I actually think we do win all the home games before Cuse, but they are not necessarily gimmes.

I don't agree with you that MU was never in danger of losing to LSU. Regardless of how great the start was, the score was tied with 10 minutes to go. LSU then took a lead. It was a 4 point game with just under 2 minutes to go. A 2 point game with just under a minute to go. That could have gone either way.

SE Louisiana was a 2 point game with 4 minutes to go. NC Central was a 4 point game with about 3 minutes to go.

We'd like to think there is no way they could lose to SE Louisiana or NC Central...but it definitely could have happened.

This team laid a stink bomb at Green Bay and couldn't break 50. Not like it was a hostile environment, there were a lot of MU fans in the house. It's just silly to think that they will steamroll the teams coming to Milwaukee prior to Syracuse without any risk apparently (per Iceman) of losing any of them. Based on what we've seen so far this year, it'll be a dogfight regardless of opponent.

MU/Panther
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Detroit's win over Canisius is their best home win. Canisius won at Temple this season and hung around with Syracuse for 30 mins.