PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Media....

IWB
01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes, I have been critical of some of the members of the Milwaukee media in the past, and I have also given props to guys who I completely disagree with because they put in the time. So..... why so small of a media crowd today when Marquette is playing Georgetown, the #15 ranked team in the nation in a huge Big East tilt? Yes, many were at the Packers game, but what about those that aren't?

Here is one answer, this was posted on Facebook at about 2:00, one hour into a big NCAA game from a member of Milwaukee's sports media.....

"Is anyone else just trying to fill the time between now and the Green Bay Packers game with random stuff to do? Im currently arranging my sweaters."

Yep, I know if my job was sports media and there was a huge game in town I would be at home arranging my sweaters.

kneelb4zerg
01-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Can't you just tell us who it is?

IWB
01-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Mike Wickett, 1250 WSSP.

milkbone
01-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Mike Wickett, 1250 WSSP.
.What a SHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lj854
01-05-2013, 05:48 PM
The way most of the Milwaukee media treats MU p*sses me off -- they're downright giddy when there's even a shred of bad news (NCAA send-off was a disgrace this year) but can't possibly be bothered to report on something positive.

One thing in particular that always gets me is that WTMJ radio refuses to include MU in its top-of-the-hour sports scoreboard. We are a HIGH MAJOR hoops program and get zero respect locally. Brings out my inner IWB.

MU Viking
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Wickett is a joke

Troy Sparks
01-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Guess the Packers are more important than MU. It was win or go home for them. MU still have plenty of season left anyway.

Nukem2
01-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Guess the Packers are more important than MU. It was win or go home for them. MU still have plenty of season left anyway.
But, true sports fans fill their time with something meaningful.. Wickett is just soft......

MU/Panther
01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
This makes my blood boil. That's another reason why the crowd was over 15,000. College basketball doesn't mean **** in this state as long as the Packers are still playing. How many people other than people who had tickets or message board people even knew MU was playing G'town. They get nothing on TV or radio. Hell, Homer doesn't even talk MU hoops on his loser show.

TulsaWarrior
01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
If you're a Wisconsin sports nut this was a heck of a day -- Marquette beating a ranked team....the Pack stomping the Vi-queens. I had my day planned out and didn't do laundry. ; - )

Any one folding clothing today is a woos.

IWB
01-05-2013, 10:52 PM
I have no problem with the Packers being king. I have no problem with no one caring about college hoops until the Packers' season is over. I have no issue with that at all. I take issue with a member of the "sports media" opting to "organize his sweaters" as opposed to covering the Marquette-#15 Georgetown game.

MUBasketball
01-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Yeah this is pretty infuriating...especially when Wickett claims to be such a big college hoops fan. He's not, because whenever they bring it up on his show he has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

TedBaxter
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Marquette doesn't get much respect from media members or news outlets in the state period. Yesterday morning I looked in the Wisconsin State Journal to see what sporting events would be on the local TV/radio stations just in case MU would be on TV in Madison and not only weren't they listed for TV, but they weren't even listed for radio even though they were on the Madison ESPN affiliate 100.5 FM. It is what it is.

MU/Panther
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
I have no problem with the Packers being king. I have no problem with no one caring about college hoops until the Packers' season is over. I have no issue with that at all. I take issue with a member of the "sports media" opting to "organize his sweaters" as opposed to covering the Marquette-#15 Georgetown game.

People would care or just even know about other sports if the media covered it. My pick in this I can do more than two things at once. I dislike these radio people telling us the listeners in how it is, when they don't cover the sport. When someone like myself and my wife is at every MU & UWM home game. Go to high school events like the WBY Shootout and attend the Summer Pro-Am.

JDubMU
01-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Jim, Just playing devils advocate here. Most jobs have scheduled time off dont they? Is it a media members responsibility to work 24-7? I agree with most posted here about the lack of MU coverage, but I too work long hours and when Im off work it is honestly the last thing on my mind. Now choosing to post organizing your sweaters on social media is another story. Who the hell still wears sweaters?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Jim, Just playing devils advocate here. Most jobs have scheduled time off dont they? Is it a media members responsibility to work 24-7? I agree with most posted here about the lack of MU coverage, but I too work long hours and when Im off work it is honestly the last thing on my mind. Now choosing to post organizing your sweaters on social media is another story. Who the hell still wears sweaters?

Yes, they do. But if you are in local sports media publicly, you should be endorsing local sports. Acting as though there's nothing going on when a local perennial tournament team is taking on a team ranked in the top-15 at home and it doesn't remotely clash time-wise with the Packers game is inane. It's either incredibly ignorant or deliberate jackassery. With Wickett, I could see either being the case.

IWB
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I hear what you are saying JDub, but I see many of the guys often. I will see guys like Lance Allen or Tom Van Vooren at press conferences while they are on vacation. If you are in sports media, that is what you need to do. Also, while there is time off, it is not a time clock job. How many people on this board sometimes work over 40 hours per week? How often do guys stay up late at night trying to finish off a major proposal they are working on? That is on "scheduled time off".

I know many of the morning show guys on various stations get up nasty early in the morning, but a college basketball game is 2 hours. 2 hours of overtime to intelligently talk about it on Monday morning? And going forward? Whenever a Marquette topic comes up, say Trent Locket really turned it around...."Well I think the turnaround for Trent started in the Georgetown game. He hit a shot clock expiring three early in the first half, and had a monstrous baseline dunk to start the second half and his has been on a roll ever since."

If anything, its what students call home work, or studying for exams.

Goose85
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Who knew WSSP was still on the air? Never listen, and now all of their anti-MU crap will backfire big time as WOKY is soon to become the all Bucky sports radio station.
A guy who has a job in sports media, even if he is not at the game, should still be watching as it is his job.

mufansince72
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
What is funny is there was a story the other day about WOKY becoming all sports talk. They said the entire market share for sports radio is 1.5, with WSSP getting a 1 share and 540 getting a .5 share.

MUBasketball
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
What is funny is there was a story the other day about WOKY becoming all sports talk. They said the entire market share for sports radio is 1.5, with WSSP getting a 1 share and 540 getting a .5 share.

So WSSP gets better ratings than 540?

And by the way, how are "ratings" measured with radio? I never understood that.

DowntownSweeney
01-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I saw those ratings as well. I don't see how all 3 can stay viable. Wickett is absolutely clueless about college basketball and sports in general. That is why he is on 1250. The main qualifier to be on the air at 1250 is a lack of knowledge about sports. A secondary qualification is a low IQ. Wickett scores off the charts on both.

MUBasketball
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
The most annoying thing to me (and most sports fans are like this) but come March Madness time, he'll be talking college hoops and act like he's the biggest fan. That just annoys the hell out of me.

IWB
01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
A couple of things.....

First off, WSSP has higher ratings and I think a lot of that is due to the strength of signals. 540 has a very weak signal. There are many times you can't get it in clear when you are just driving around town. So, I think that has a lot to do with it. Next - I think there are more people that listen to 540 via the net stream, and I don't know if that is included in those numbers.

Either way, it is summed up best by Seth Meyers on SNL's Weekend Update during the last elections..... He said, "Obama is up 3% in the latest polls.....meaning, Obama is up according to a survey of people who still answer their phones when the caller ID says unknown caller."

For those that are not fans of Wickett, you'll also be glad to know the WSSP has just signed him to a new 3 year deal.

MUfan12
01-06-2013, 04:25 PM
I don't mind Wickett as much as his stuttering sidekick in the morning.

Friemund has some bone to pick with MU. His agenda is blatant.

MU/Panther
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Currently, the highest-rated sports talk station WSSP-AM (1250), owned by the national Entercom chain, has a 1.0 share of the Milwaukee radio audience. The second-highest, WAUK-AM (540), owned by Wisconsin-based Good Karma Broadcasting, has 0.9. They were respectively ranked 23rd and 24th in the market in the December Arbitron survey.

MU/Panther
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
The most annoying thing to me (and most sports fans are like this) but come March Madness time, he'll be talking college hoops and act like he's the biggest fan. That just annoys the hell out of me.You feel my pain, as I go to about 33 D-1 games in person. 2013-14 season I will be over 40+ as I will be going see MU in Caif. and the NCAA tourney comes to the Bradley Center.